[April Fool's] Introducing 3DSB

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

[April Fool's] Introducing 3DSB

Post by Sophia »

Although DM is still a great game (and DSB is a great way to play it!) I think we can all agree that nothing is sure to make a classic game better like incorporating a modern gaming trend. VR gaming is on the rise, and with the amount of excitement and positive sentiment about Facebook's metaverse, it seemed like a great time to add some cutting-edge VR technology to DSB as well.

DSB will be renamed "3DSB," featuring a brand new immersive virtual reality 3D mode that is designed to feel just like you're right there in the dungeon, sitting in front of a computer screen playing DM. You'll be able to look around in any direction, as long as "any direction" is a 90 degree angle, and move freely through the dungeon, as long as your idea of "moving freely" is stepping square by square.

The game's controls will be replaced by motion control and voice recognition, so you'll be able to trigger attack methods by swinging your arms around in an appropriate gesture (the game will also include recognition of inappropriate gestures and Lord Chaos will be suitably offended) and of course you'll be able to cast spells by just speaking the runes, though the voice recognition is via Amazon and is kind of slow, so you'll have to make sure you don't immediately turn towards a wall and fireball yourself. War cries work much better, of course, since you just have to shout loudly; the louder you shout the more effective the war cry, so don't heistate to scare the neighbors.

I'm also using this opportunity to take the immersive experience beyond just sight and sound: when your characters get poisoned, the display will move around rapidly in a way sure to cause motion sickness, so you'll be able to feel just as queasy as your adventurers do! This feature will also kick in if you step into a ven cloud or if you eat too many worm rounds.

You can play 3DSB with any VR headset, but for the optimal experience you'll want the special custom-made 3DSB headset, containing an actual Amiga CRT monitor for the authentic experience. Aside from the substantial risk of neck injury it's sure to be the best way to play 3DSB!
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

Re: Introducing 3DSB

Post by Prince of Elves »

Made my day, where can I subscribe to pre-order the early access version? That will be half finished, never updated, full price as is usual these days, of course. I'd be offended if it wasn't.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Count me in!
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I expect the editor will allow expanding inappropriate gestures and insults to Chaos Lord and gigglers.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

This sounds amazing, but will the simulation respect the size of the champions? For example, If I'm playing as Tiggy or Gando, I expect the VR experience to accurately reflect their lower viewpoint. Because if it doesn't, I will claim you're being "heightist" and will sue the pants off ya!
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

This sounds amazing, but will the simulation respect the size of the champions?
Sophia told me that this is already being taken into account when you play as a water elemental. Not sure about Tiggy and Gando, though
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.