Unidentified German magazine scan

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Unidentified German magazine scan

Post by ChristopheF »

I have this scan (not very good quality) about Dungeon Master from a German magazine. But I don't know which magazine it comes from (name, issue number and publication date):
http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/DM_Unidentif ... s34-35.jpg

Are there any German speakers who may have any clue?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Unidentified German magazine scan

Post by Gambit37 »

I ran Google translate on it which yielded a very funny review that mostly made sense but was also full of gibberish. It did not reveal anything about the publication itself though.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm, Prince of Elves is German, I wonder if he can glean anything on it - I'll ask him.
Craftsman

Post by Prince of Elves »

Yeah I saw that, but I didn't really read gaming magazines (and those few I did were way later). Never seen anything remotely close to that layout though lol (except maybe BRAVO, but that's not about gaming ;) )
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Found not this one yet, but check https://www.kultboy.com/testbericht-uebersicht/52/ for more DM stuff.
About the scan: I wonder why they gave a 'game of the week'. I doubt that there was any weekly computer magazine. Also it is said, that it is available for Amiga and PC only, while the first one was definately Atari. So it's bad recherche. Together with the cheap paper, looks like the 'bild'-class. But for this one (computer-bild) there are no such old archives. Well, i'll give it a few more tries.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Thanks for your help. So it seems there are no useful clues in the text, apart from being an unknown weekly magazine...

I have already included all the DM, CSB and DM2 scans I found on this kultboy web site on the Encyclopaedia :)
phoenix2022
Neophyte

Post by phoenix2022 »

I know the color design (cyan with yellow on the background with these greenish boxes) and layout from the ASM Magazin (Aktueller Software Markt) in 'special stories'. Odd however, they used this design from 1991 upward, however, the text suggests that the port to PC just happened, which should have been around 88/89. Now I don't know when DM came to the German market on PC, as I played it on Amiga till 1994, after which I got my first PC, so I can't judge that. Also, ASM was a monthly magazine with some special issues in between. Then again, the game is not rated (the PC adaption) neither do they refer to an Amiga rating, which a magazine would have done, if they had scored a game on a different platform before, as ASM did. So my guess is that this is more like a "hall of fame" or "one week of fame" entry and could be indeed from much later than 89. For a hall of fame again, the description is quite large. Really strange all this. I actually don't think the paper quality is bad. The jpeg compression is, but looking at the females color gradients and details, I think, it's good quality print on coated paper.
Side note. In the image description comments, it says "Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2", so I guess the source of the image is Ebay. I checked, but its not in a backlog anymore.

PS: On my search through my old magazines (or whats left on em) I found a walk-though from PC Player 10/95 for DM2 (in German of course). Interested? I could upload them somehow - it's 6 pages A4.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Thanks a lot for all these details.
The PC version of Dungeon Master was released worldwide in 1992, and it was reviewed by ASM in the October 1992 issue: http://dmweb.free.fr/files/Magazine_ASM ... 4_Scan.jpg
So this would be OK with the 1991 onward design for ASM that you mention.
I'll have a look at existing ASM magazine scans available online to see if I can find it.

About the DM2 walkthough from PC Player 10/95: thank you for that information. No need for you to scan, I got it from https://archive.org/download/PC-Player- ... ne-1995-10 and I'll add the useful pages on the encyclopaedia.
[edit] in fact this walkthrough is already available on http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/238
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I browsed all 1992 issues of ASM at http://www.kultmags.com/mags.php and could not find the mysterious pages I'm looking for.
While the colors of the "Spiel des monat" (game of the month) pages bear some resemblance, they are still different as well as the layout.

The 'Spiel der woche' (game of the week) points to a German weekly publication from 1992. Maybe this was not published in a pure video games magazine.
The quest continues...
phoenix2022
Neophyte

Post by phoenix2022 »

I kept searching a bit with google, yandex and brave, also directly archive.org and retromags (where I found issues for tests of DM (SNES) and DM2 (Sega SC), but otherwise nothing. Most magazines from earlier died but one is still available, Gamestar, which is where some of the editors Who we are found a new home. One of them, Martin Deppe, is basically famous because he was writing articles for many major magazines like PC Player, and PC Powerplay in the 90s. He also freelanced in between. So, we could post into their forum or send them an email asking if anyone of them remembers this design or a weekly magazine from that time.
A little bit of an overkill would than be the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek (German national library) where every publication (prior 2006 only printed, after that also digital) has to be send there by law as two copies. So, they definitely have two copies of whichever magazine that was. It's too late now, but I (or someone with some time) can get later through the catalog for PC game magazines in 1992 and see if something catches their eye.
So far, good night, and don't let the purple worms surprise you in your sleep.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Thank you for your efforts and for the links. I'll add the DM SNES review you found on retromags; the DM2 review is already available on the encyclopaedia.
Would you be able to contact that Martin and see if he can provide any clues ?
phoenix2022
Neophyte

Post by phoenix2022 »

Hi, sorry I was busy the last weeks. I did send them now a request asking if any of the older editors can help with this. I'll keep this updated.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Thanks again for your involvement!