[Custom Dungeon] Beastmaster [DM PC] [RobikZ]

Custom dungeons for DM/CSB/DM2 on PC, Amiga, Atari ST and any other platforms.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Robikz
Neophyte

[Custom Dungeon] Beastmaster [DM PC] [RobikZ]

Post by Robikz »

[Custom dungeon] Beastmaster [DM PC] [RobikZ]
Platform: DM PC
Author: RobikZ
Email address: robikz@skrzynka.pl
Date published: 2002, August 5
Date last updated: 2002, August 5

Story:
Evil sorceror from Outer World has invaded the True World. Captured Daar the Beastmaster and closed him in mirror. Ancient One decided to destroy evil sorceror. He started to seek for four heroes. And he found them...
Tao: he is Beastmaster friend, and wants to free him.
Curpire: Beastmaster guard her animals, so she needs him.
Red Eye: She is true evil, but evil sorceror wants to destroy this world... Red Eye too of course, so she fights for her life
Kira: she loves Daar...
Evil sorceror can be destroyed only with ancient artifact - The Firestaff+
Ancient One promises to free Sharak from his Eagle being... but he can be never trusted.

Notes:
Difficulty: Medium
Base: I used some levels from original DM

I didn't want to make a very looooooooong and very haaaaaaaaard dungeon. I wanted only to make something, what gives much of fun... did I make it? The answer belongs to you.
I'm very sorry that I used names from Beastmaster the movie, and I hope that I won't get to jail for that :)
And one another thing... there is a secret level, opened by silver coin, you must discover it as it contains the firestaff.

Known bugs:
Sometimes blue or yellow graphic appears in dungeon
Bringing Firestaff to the start location will give nothing
When item is on pressure pad, pressure pad appears only when you pick it up... this is the major bug... but you can never find it :)
Amalgam with Power Gem don't turn to Empty when Firestaff is used on.
I turned deepness of Firestaff level to 255, but nothing has changed (no more exp gaining and monsters take so much life as in previous levels)
Graphic glitches at 10,28,3 and 9,15,3
Pits in 20,32,5 and 22,32,5 lead to nowhere.
There is an inaccesible part at the west of the Arena level.

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Fueaint
Neophyte

Custom dungeon 'Beastmaster' review by Christopher (a.k.a Fueaint)

Post by Fueaint »

Reviewer: Christopher (a.k.a Fueaint)
Gameplay: 7
Originality: 8
Difficulty: 4
Puzzles: 4
Size: 5
Replayability: 7
Craft: 6
Game Ending: 5
Overall: 5
Review: I thought it was good. Very enjoyable. I saw very few bugs when I played through. Good work.
Zyx
DSA Master

Custom dungeon 'Beastmaster' review by Benjamin Prieu (a.k.a Zyx)

Post by Zyx »

Reviewer: Benjamin Prieu (a.k.a Zyx)
Gameplay: 6
Originality: 5
Difficulty: 4
Puzzles: 4
Size: 6
Replayability: 4
Craft: 6
Game Ending: 5
Atmosphere: 4
Overall: 5
Best part: I liked the fights which are wisely settled.
Worst part: The use of teleporters instead of stairs.
Review: A good dungeon, not too tough and well balanced. Puzzles are simple but entertaining, some parts are pretty similar to the original but different enough to be interesting. With a little more furnitures and maybe more choice in the avalaible characters (The Daar prison happens too late in the dungeon), the gameplay could be improved, IMHO.
This dungeon is a little shorter than DM and is quite enjoyable.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Custom dungeon 'Beastmaster' review by Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)

Post by beowuuf »

Reviewer: Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)
Gameplay: 7
Originality: 7. It's DM, but there are some good ideas such as the silver coin corridor to link the levels up.
Difficulty: 6. I must admit found it easy for combat, etc.
Puzzles: 7
Size: 6
Replayability: 7
Craft: 7. Some nice use of shooters and other tricks.
Game Ending: Because of the small size, facing demons/chaos so soon is kinda cool!
Atmosphere: 8. The game hangs together well, good progresion.
Overall: 8. Good dungeon, will be looking forward to the next ones :)
Best part: Facing knights for the firestaff, the linkage of levels, the money for doors puzzles.
Worst part: Too short, slight too easy.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Custom dungeon 'Beastmaster' review by PicturesInTheDark

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Reviewer: PicturesInTheDark
Gameplay: 5. Pretty straight end enjoyable, no time wasted for long searches made the dungeon fun.
Originality: 5. I have to stress here, that I never attempted a full build, so this is a shaky verdict based on little experience on the subject. I liked the teleporters leading to certain levels (and back!), the way monsters were balanced well to have a chance. Teleport to knights/Couatls was definitely a shock and well done...
Difficulty: 6. I'm not good at working only with the mouse, otherwise it would have been 5, but since the Rock Piles/Ogres early on made problems I will rather go for the higher rating. Golems in Firestaff level were tough since I hardly trained my party, afterwards the Cavern was a walk in the park...
Puzzles: There were hardly puzzles except figuring where the teleporters went, the rest were (solid) copies from DM. I'd like to add that for this dungeon/story the amount of riddles felt appropriate.
Size: 7. Somehow I don't like this rating, size does not say anything about quality, and in that case I found it nice not to have such a long dungeon, so I'm giving a high rating.
Replayability: 4. See above (straightforward).
Craft: 6. Solid work, little flaws (some pits going nowhere, non accessible areas, levels 9 to 12 could have been "blanked out").
Game Ending: 7. I liked the plain approach towards the end with firestaff-dragon-demons-golem-chaos...
Atmosphere: 6. Good gameplay-feeling, progressive difficulty, some nice surprises like trap that lead to knights/Couatls (which I went down on purpose just to curse myself afterwards).
Overall: 5. With tendency towards 6.
Best part: Facing knights + Couatls for the firestaff, teleporters to and from cetrain important areas, well-balanced monsters.
Worst part: Daar dungeon (could find no use for that, came much too late).
Review: Many times my engine would speed up after saving, but that seems to be a general problem and led to myself getting killed quite quickly if I did not watch that. Party names were not very inventive, but the balance of fights, lots of good items and various monster approaches made the dungeon very enjoyable.
It seemed to me I gained levels faster than normal - but maybe that was just my impression, I did not verify it.
Anyway: good dungeon, was fun to play it - keep going!