[Custom dungeon] Conan and the Mountain of Tor Al'Kiir [DM PC] [Daniel Durgan]

Custom dungeons for DM/CSB/DM2 on PC, Amiga, Atari ST and any other platforms.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daniel Durgan

[Custom dungeon] Conan and the Mountain of Tor Al'Kiir [DM PC] [Daniel Durgan]

Post by Daniel Durgan »

Platform: DM PC
Author: Daniel Durgan
Email address: dm_web@hotmail.com
Date published: 1999, August 8
Date last updated: 1999, August 8

Story:
Story: Based on Conan The Triumphant by Robert Jordan

Prologue
The great granite mound called Tor Al'kiir crouched like a malevolent toad in the night, wearing a crown of toppled walls and ruined columns, memories of failed attempts by a score of Ohirean dynasties to build there. Man had long since forgotten the origin of the mountain's name, but they knew it for a place of ill luck and evil, and laughed at the formerkings who had not had the sense. Yet their laughter was tinged with unease for there was about the mountain that made it a place to avoid even in thought.

In the fabled kingdom of Ophir, Conan and his Free-Company of mercenaries enter the service of the voluptuous dark eyed Lady Synelle, unaware that she is, in secret, high priestess of Al'Kiir, the sharp-horned, multi-fanged demon god whose worship is almost forgotten in the kingdom. Better for humankind if it were totally forgotten!

For Al'Kiir's rites centre upon the sacrifice of beautiful women, such as Conan's fiery acquaintance, the luscious bandit queen Karela the Red Hawk. And Al'Kiir also demands the eternal enslavement of perfect warriors...

Aim:
You are Conan, the Captain of the Free-Company. With you is Karela The Red Hawk, Machaon the Koth part of Conan's Free-Company and Boros the drunk Magician. You have been betrayed by Al'Kiir's servant Lady Synelle. She has had most of your Free-Company killed off, by the powers given to her by her god Al'Kiir. Wanting to take revenge on her and to protect yourself from harm, you must stop her power.
This can only mean one thing.... killing her god!!! And there is only one thing that can stop the god, the thing which sealed the god in the mountain, it is the Staff Of Avanrakash.

So to play the game, you must enter the mountain of Al'Kiir, select your characters. Find the Staff Of Avanrakash and kill Al'Kiir with it.

Instructions:
To Play the game you must choose the following characters, reincarnate them, and change their names to their new name:
Halk The Barbarian -> Conan Of The Freecompany
Sonja the Red -> Karela The Red Hawk
Zed -> Machaon The Koth
Elija -> Boros The Magician
All other characters, apart from the above, have been removed.

Known bugs:
Glitches and random lockups on certain PCs.

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Zyx
DSA Master

Custom dungeon 'Conan and the Mountain of Tor Al'Kiir' review by Benjamin Prieu (a.k.a Zyx)

Post by Zyx »

Reviewer: Benjamin Prieu (a.k.a Zyx)
Gameplay: 7
Originality: 6
Difficulty: 5
Puzzles: 6
Size: 4
Replayability: 5
Craft: 4
Game Ending: 4
Atmosphere: 6
Overall: 5
Best part: The fight against 2 dragons.
Worst part: Lack of furnitures.
Review: This is the first complete Dmuted dungeon. Daniel Durgan was the owner of the mythical DM board and of the Unofficial DM site, so this dungeon is made of legend's stuff!
The story is based on Conan, the traps and fights are nice, the dungeon is not too long. Very enjoyable.
Fueaint
Neophyte

Custom dungeon 'Conan and the Mountain of Tor Al'Kiir' review by Christopher (a.k.a Fueaint)

Post by Fueaint »

Reviewer: Christopher (a.k.a Fueaint)
Gameplay: 6
Originality: 7
Difficulty: 5
Puzzles: 5
Size: 5
Replayability: 5
Craft: 4
Game Ending: 5
Atmosphere: 5
Overall: 5
Best part: When I saw that chest in the beginning I thought "all right!" Then I step up to it and it is gone and I get killed by mummies. Good start.
Worst part: Size is small and dungeon is not very difficult (at least I died once). Still fun to play though.
Review: If the prologue is taken directly from the Conan book then Story: 3 (story rating won't count)
If prologue isn't directly from the book then Story: 7.

At least it has a story to go with the dungeon...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Custom dungeon 'Conan and the Mountain of Tor Al'Kiir' review by Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)

Post by beowuuf »

Reviewer: Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)
Gameplay: 6. Nice blend of fighting and puzzle, and the fact you are using starting characters against some of the nastier critters makes it challenging.
Originality: 7. Original puzzles with one or two minor exceptions, and very different layout.
Difficulty: 5. Only low level characters against powerful creatures makes this difficult - which is satisfying :)
Puzzles: 6. Puzzles are good and original, but nothing head scratching.
Size: 4. 5 levels.
Replayability: 4. Once you've done the puzzles and levels they're done... There are one or two secrets to find.
Craft: 6. Just this was one of (or the) proper DMuted dungeon, and it plays well, and has good set up. One or two glitches, only one major (no chaos on chaos level!).
Game Ending: 3. After the work of getting the keys, just facing Chaos (no golems, demons, jawas, scorpions, knights or oitus first!) it was a little ante-climactic... The fact he had 'died' was also a little but of a bummer!
Atmosphere: 7. The level layout, and the progression and difference in each level definitely made this fun to play - though I didn't like the open room level, or the end, so it does kill the atmosphere slightly.
Overall: 6. I didn't give this a fair shake when I first played it ages ago, it's fun while it lasts, but too short.
Best part: Yup, the fight against the two dragons for very good! Especially trying it the second level out!
Worst part: The large switch level... Too much wandering around (why I stopped playing first time round!) and the lack of chaos/lack of challenge for the end.
Review: Bugs: umm, I couldn't complete it without hacking... One of the switches in the long corridors/buttons level didn't work (I think had been cloned to something else) so couldn't get out of the very end of there.
Also chaos dying is a biggie! No actual game end.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!