[Custom dungeon] Parlous Dungeon [DM PC] [Christopher (a.k.a Fueaint)]

Custom dungeons for DM/CSB/DM2 on PC, Amiga, Atari ST and any other platforms.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Fueaint
Neophyte

[Custom dungeon] Parlous Dungeon [DM PC] [Christopher (a.k.a Fueaint)]

Post by Fueaint »

Version: 1
Platform: DM PC
Author: Christopher (a.k.a Fueaint)
Email address: pat_e_johnson@yahoo.com
Date published: 2002, May 30
Date last updated: 2002, May 30

Story:
Not really

Aim:
Upgrade the Firestaff and use it to Banish Lord Chaos.

Notes:
Attainable levels: 13
Dungeon difficulty: Artisan
Monster difficulty: Adept
Puzzle difficulty: Craftsman
Hero average level: Artisan

The dungeon is a saved game (dmsave.dat file), you can't start from scratch.
This dungeon has four new champions which I have created. They may not be used without my permission on any new dungeons that will be distributed to others.
This was my first attempt to create a new dungeon. I am not good at this at all (can't even get launchers to work).
I had difficulty getting Textmute to work on this dungeon so most texts are unoriginal and not what I wanted.
Some parts of this dungeon are not original.
Not all doors are meant to be opened.
Not all paths are meant to be taken.
Not all teleporters are meant to be used.
Some warning signs can, and should be ignored. Some should not.
Because this dungeon has some monster death traps, I strongly urge people not to cheat with Dmute because it will ruin the normal flow of the dungeon and you may end with multiple items you are not supposed to have.

Instructions:
Copy the Dmsave.dat over your old save file.
Start game and click on Resume.

Known bugs:
Worm number bug.
Abyss Pits from Chaos level freeze the game instead of killing all the Champions (might be fixed).

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Custom dungeon 'Parlous Dungeon' review by Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)

Post by beowuuf »

Reviewer: Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)
Gameplay: 7. Too many sprawling corridors more than balanced by some nice level layout/level puzzles, the test your strength part and evil fights.
Originality: 8. Very different level layouts, and the 'test your strength' areas to earn keys instead of exploring great idea.
Difficulty: 8. Some tough fights around.
Puzzles: 7
Size: 8. Good sized dungeon, though I felt it sometimes ditracted having to walk around so much!
Replayability: 7
Craft: 7
Game Ending: 7. Kind of a kicker when you get to the end and realize you have left half the keys higher up in other levels!
Atmosphere: 8
Overall: 8
Best part: Playing the cemetery of the dead etc level - I just really loved it... The end levels were cool too to fight through.
Worst part: Walking around so much testing walls and forgetting which way I came half way down a corridor.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Fueaint
Neophyte

Custom dungeon 'Parlous Dungeon' review by Christopher (a.k.a Fueaint)

Post by Fueaint »

Reviewer: Christopher (a.k.a Fueaint)
Gameplay: 7
Originality: 6
Difficulty: 6
Puzzles: 5
Size: 8
Replayability: 10. Well, I have played it the most.
Craft: 6
Game Ending: 5. I was never happy with the ending.
Atmosphere: 7
Overall: 6
Best part: I must admit that I had the cemetery level outlined many years ago. I couldn't get it as good as I wanted it, but I still like it a lot. I'm glad textmute worked for me there. It sure didn't for most of the rest of the game which makes for a low originality rating.
Worst part: Three distinct bad things about this dungeon that I can think of.
  1. Your team is already picked out for you, so you don't have a choice. This might be slightly balanced out by the fact that they are new champions.
  2. Ending is real bad. If you look in Dmute, you will see that Lord Librasulus (sp?) has some items. This was done before I found out that he was immortal. I tried to make the ending as difficult as I could but it just didn't work out well at all. Oh well. My next dungeon has a somewhat more difficult ending. It also has a story, so that should help.
  3. Puzzles. I am so bad at coming up with puzzle ideas, and I'm just as bad at solving other people's dungeon puzzles. My next dungeon has a realy good puzzle though. It will cost the life of one of your characters.