[Custom dungeon] The Grave of King Millias [DM PC] [Toni Ylisirniö]

Custom dungeons for DM/CSB/DM2 on PC, Amiga, Atari ST and any other platforms.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Toni Y
Adept

[Custom dungeon] The Grave of King Millias [DM PC] [Toni Ylisirniö]

Post by Toni Y »

Version: 1.1
Platform: DM PC
Author: Toni Ylisirniö
Email address: tylisirn@multi.fi
Date published: 1999, July 12
Date last updated: 2001, July 10

Story:
You are four (or less) brave grave robbers who have decided to gather some gold and jewels from King Millius' grave, but as you search it you find constructions that are far older than the grave itself. With some worries you step deep into Mt. Anaias to find out what it is...

Aim:
Kill Lord Chaos.

Notes:
This one is long, and really mean LONG. It spans almost through the whole original dungeon (11 levels). Has some traps and neat tricks. There is also a secret training area.

Known bugs:
One lever on level 3 (ghosts and gates) doesn't move, but it works.

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Custom dungeon 'The Grave of King Millias' review by PicturesInTheDark

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Reviewer: PicturesInTheDark
Gameplay: 5. Straight dungeon approach with a straight line of play. Without the training area this might have been pretty painful.
Originality: 4. Major parallels to the original DM (some parts were simply used from the original), but riddles and paths got more unique after the immediate start. Fun to play.
Difficulty: 6. Some parts were pretty hard with two characters, especially during the starting levels (skeletons especially bugged me), since I tried to take on all opponents to gain levels but died a few times during that. A little less would have been quite sufficient I daresay. A plus is (as always with me) awarded for the training area - if you ask me, every dungeon should have one. And it came very handy this time...
Puzzles: 5. Not stunningly difficult or numerous but at least unique and in a coherent style. I'd have wished for a little more and tougher riddles, but it worked fine all the same.
Size: 6. Good length - without visiting the training area there would be problems for realistic survival chances though. For the review I found it tricky to distinguish between the parts of the dungeon you used and those you just deserted from the original - cleaning up would have been nice ;o)
Replayability: 4. Very linear so probably not to be re-played by me any time soon.
Craft: 6. Logical and throughout the game atmospherical dungeon, could find no flaws except for one or two problems (stairs and pits going nowhere I think) I cleaned after converting the dungeon.
Game Ending: 4. Exactly the same as in the original, although you thankfully removed one or two "critical" Black Flames so I could approach and finish off Chaos directly without heeding the demons. That's Journeyman instead of Apprentice for the little "goodie".
Atmosphere: 6. Since I died a few times at the start I was getting careful, but that's how it should be. Dungeon kept me hooked until the end, only with the firestaff finally turned to full power I relaxed...
Overall: 5
Best part: Firestaff level, dragon level (see comments below).
Worst part: Skeletons in the starting levels a little too hard for a small party, the level letting you go one of two ways could have done with both for it was pretty short.
Review: Comments: When I reached level 6 (HoC not counted) and had to fight the first two golems, I was pretty glad I had been to the training area for a while. And upon reaching the wall text "Tomb of the firestaff" and then seeing the object of desire just lying in the niche I just knew it would be a trap... so I prepared as well as I could and took it - the first golem guardian was slain surving pretty narrow and I was all the way back to the dead end, so I decided to sleep and gain some powers back - worked pretty nicely except being woken by a hit on the heads of my party by the club of the second one. THIS fight one of my two party members only survived by 2 points, although I had good weapons and some magical boxes left. Nice heartbeat afterwards.

The dragon level was a little hard, too. With a party of four it might have been easier but three dragons, no place to hide and not nearly enough magic to kill even one off made it a hot dance. More by chance I killed the one with the key first, so at least I could upgrade the firestaff before facing the other two ... and they got what they asked for.

Improvement to "Tower of Chaos" from my point of view, more riddles and at least some twists in the way would be my suggestions if any are needed.

Thank you for your efforts in designing the dungeons.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Custom dungeon 'The Grave of King Millias' review by Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)

Post by beowuuf »

Reviewer: Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)
Gameplay: 8
Originality: Hard to say, it apes DM in feel perfectly while being completely original with the traps and ideas.
Difficulty: 7
Puzzles: 7. Good original puzzles.
Size: 8. Used most of the dungeon!
Replayability: 8. As playable as DM.
Craft: 6. One of the first dungeons, still some nice bits like the VI alcoves on level 6.
Game Ending: 9. At the time (I was a CSB virgin) fighting those three dragons made me yell at the screen, groan as my wrists ached, then improve my game about 100% - great fight!
Atmosphere: 8. Just feels so DM!
Overall: 9. One of the first I played when I found the community after so long away from DM, reminded me why I loved the game.
Best part: The dragons' lair.
Worst part: Can't think of one!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!