[Custom dungeon] The Tomb of the Firestaff [DM PC] [Paul D. Hayes (a.k.a PaulH)]

Custom dungeons for DM/CSB/DM2 on PC, Amiga, Atari ST and any other platforms.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

[Custom dungeon] The Tomb of the Firestaff [DM PC] [Paul D. Hayes (a.k.a PaulH)]

Post by PaulH »

Platform: DM PC
Author: Paul D. Hayes (a.k.a PaulH)
Email address: supersonic525@aol.com
Date published: 2002, August 19
Date last updated: 2002, September 12

Aim:
Get the Firestaff, add the PowerGem and fuse Chaos.

Notes:
Difficulty: Progressive

It is recommended to use the associated custom Graphics.dat file. Some puzzles will be easier because some items have been renamed:
Orange Gem -> Firestone
Sapphire key -> Key of Satan
Corbamite -> Aerogel

In addition, please only use DMute as a last resort: Imagine this was the first time you had played DM!
I hope you enjoy it, the serious stuff kicks in at the Cavern and later...

This is my first attempt at a dungeon using the editors and was designed mainly for my friends and family who have played a couple of times before, but fancied a go at something similar but not exactly the same.
When designing a dungeon you have to take many factors into account: the people who read the forums are obviously masters and find the original dungeon very easy. I have tried to make this appeal to all by making it progressively harder as you play: and I have left a lot of the original scrolls in so a near newcomer would be able to have a bash at it.
I have taken the original dungeon as a template and based my creation on that. As I said earlier, this is my first attempt so for me was also an exercise in using the editors, I didn't want to do too much, I wanted to learn. Further creations will be much more original. I make no excuses for leaving a few of the original puzzles in: I believe it was better to have something there than nothing, as this gives the impression of a larger dungeon. But some have been subtly altered...
In my opinion it is a very large dungeon and the bottom levels are almost completely new and difficult. You will need good characters to battle through them! But a newcomer should have a good team by then as they would have taken longer earlier on! In fact you can see how my knowledge has increased as you go down as things get more adventurous, and I have many new ideas for a new dungeon. I do not have a story as yet but will post one!

Known bugs:
Hopefully none, but I did have one or two bizarre lock ups.

History:
  • 2002-09-12
    • Fixed a graphics bug in Chaos lair
  • 2002-08-19
    • Initial release

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Custom dungeon 'The Tomb of the Firestaff' review by Paul Hayes (a.k.a PaulH)

Post by PaulH »

Reviewer: Paul Hayes (a.k.a PaulH)
Gameplay: 7. A lot of hacking and slashing if you like that sort of dungeon and good for all levels of ability.
Originality: 4. Well its DM reincarnated! Some original ideas further in but the rest is much the same.
Difficulty: 7. Starts easy, gets harder... especially level 12.
Puzzles: 5. Themed on the original, with a few variations.
Size: 9. Pretty big!
Replayability: 7. Linear in play so the route through will be the same but there is a lot you could miss.
Craft: 5. Had to rely on Dmute's mechanics to achieve results rather than hex-editing. Works quite well though.
Game Ending: 6. Again based on the original with one ending, though the Dragons could be a problem. Golem bit hard.
Atmosphere: 8. There is no story, but the lower levels had a certain substance, almost 'eeriness'.
Overall: 6. First go, good for someone who hasn't played the original for a few years...
Best part: Level 11 choose your door. You were in deep trouble if you got the wrong one!
Worst part: The first 6 levels were boring. I could have cut them out but the dungeon would have been tiny. Better there than not.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Custom dungeon 'The Tomb of the Firestaff' review by Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)

Post by beowuuf »

Reviewer: Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)
Gameplay: 7. It's pretty much the same as DM, nice puzzles, nice hack and slash. I'd say that the end is harder than DM, but that just adds to the gameplay element.
Originality: 6. Ok, most of the game is based on redoing the original dungeon, but whether it's original excecution in level 8 and 10, fresh feels because of completely different paths in level 5, and 6, entirely new level in 12 or just new puzzles, there are enough twists too keep it from going from familiar to unoriginal.
Difficulty: 7. About the same as DM until 12, where it steps up a notch. One or two head scratching new puzzles too, but nothing that isn't doable.
Puzzles: 6. While a lot has been left alone, there are enough good new puzzles to keep the interest - my only complain would be the object throwing ones in level 12 - watch what you use, you never get them back.
Size: 8. Big enough - uses the original dungeon to the fullest.
Replayability: 4. Personally there is too much like DM, and I've solved the cool puzzles, so don't know if I'd replay. But for someone who hasn't played original DM that much, then as replayable as any other.
Craft: 5. Some nice puzzle exceution.
Game Ending: 7. Better end layout than the original, though Lord Chaos wasn't contained and took a holiday, so made it slightly easier to deal with his minions.
Atmosphere: 8. It all feels like DM, just as good. I liked level 6...just had a great feel. I liked that level 12 had biases for each area without throwing it in your face
Overall: 7. Good, while in the end it's the DM dungeon, there is enough originality to make you want to play it, and want to see a completely new dungeon.
Best part: Level 12 - great start to the level, great completely original puzzles.
Worst part: Not getting items back on level 12. The firestaff guardian was way too easy to kill due to placement.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!