[Custom dungeon] Imprisoned Again [DM PC, CSBWin] [Benjamin Räuchle (a.k.a Amber or sucinum)]

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
sucinum
Pal Master

[Custom dungeon] Imprisoned Again [DM PC, CSBWin] [Benjamin Räuchle (a.k.a Amber or sucinum)]

Post by sucinum »

Version: 1.5a
Platform: DM PC, CSBWin
Author: Benjamin Räuchle (a.k.a Amber or sucinum)
Email address: BNG-Amber@web.de
Date published: 2002, March 12
Date last updated: 2004, May 17

Story:
After escaping The Prison of Dragoth Theron wanders on to get Lord Chaos. He has lost too many time in this adventure, and now it was about time to defeat the Dark Lord. He has sent the adventurers souls back to their Mirrors, but he had a strange feeling of not having seen them for the last time. In thoughts, he crosses a wood not looking around. He knew noone will dare to attack him, since he is glowing in an aura of might, which distracts the shadows of the night...

"Here you seen him", says the Dark Lord, pointing to his crystal ball. "He will soon reach me, but I am still not ready for him. Maybe I will never be. In any case, you have to stop him. I will help you as much as I can."
"My Lord", Dragoth replies "I have lost many minions the last time I tried to stop Theron. I even died by myself."
"And now you live again. I have resurrected you to serve me again. And that is not all." He pointed to the door, and four hooded beings, each of them more than 7 feet tall, entered the room. "You already met", the Dark Lord says and smirks...

Aim:
Escape the Prison.

Notes:
A new, better, harder, more complicated, longer version of "The Prison Of Dragoth" featuring Dragoth's council and the same riddles I use in all my dungeons. Have fun!

I suggest playing the CSB for Windows version which is slightly improved (requires CSBwin version 9.6v5 or newer). You can also play the older Dungeon Master for PC version.

Created with DMute by George Gilbert, Textmute by Zyx and CSBuild by Paul Stevens. Thanks to Beowuuf for the Hexguide and thanks to all, who played the versions before and contributed to the enhancements I could do.

Instructions:
Replace the Dungeon.dat file of DM PC or CSBWin with the one provided in the archive.

The archive contains the following versions: v1.1 DMPC, v1.2 DMPC, v1.3 CSBwin, v1.3 DMPC, v1.4 DMPC, v1.5 CSBwin, v1.5a CSBwin.

History:
  • Version 1.5a (2004-05-17)
    • Added a hint scroll.
      Changed the timing of a speed-riddle.
      The game should be playable without this update, but if you constantly get fried in the "run and run" part, use this version.
  • Version 1.5 (2004-04-04)
    • Removed all orphans.
      Added and changed some texts.
      Changed some minor stuff.
  • Version 1.4 (2004-04-04)
    • All changes of v1.3 were undone.
      Fixed all know bugs (2 pits, 1 pressure pad, 1 teleporter).
      Added some decent hint where needed.
      Added a story.
      Controlled some monster-flooding.
      Did some other balancing stuff.
  • Version 1.3 (2003-04-17)
    • Subsituted a whole Level, the others remain unchanged.
      Added a requested hint.
      Added a story
  • Version 1.2 (2002-04-13)
    • Changed a pit which led to nowhere.
      Added some details for atmosphere reasons.
      Adjusted some areas in difficulty (like the "Battlefield"). I think the fighter way is now as difficult as the others.
      Removed a bug which could lead to a dead end for the party at the neta way.
      Added some hints for playing into this file, so you can avoid using DMute totally if stuck. I think having to use this destroys much of the fun you could have with this dungeon.
  • Version 1.1 (2002-03-28)
    • Fixed some minor bugs and removed the teleporter and some items dedicated for playtesting.
  • Version 1.0 (2002-03-12)
Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Custom dungeon 'Imprisoned Again' review by PicturesInTheDark

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Reviewer: PicturesInTheDark
Gameplay: 9. Well-planned and complex dungeon design guaranteeing (lots of) fun and (a lot more) sweat for days or even weeks.
Originality: 8. As I’ve seen by trying out some of your dungeons just for a few levels, you already tried the "4 ways approach" in smaller dimensions before, but within "Imprisoned..." it’s cultivated. Lack in riddles and some surprises in the design is all from my point of view that makes it short of perfection.
Difficulty: 7. I know you rated it 9 yourself and I would even go higher here, for this is the version with the "matrix" still intact and I admit I checked out the pressure pads before surviving this - still with some of reloads. Personally, a little less would be better for I still think that it should be possible -at least theoretically- to master a dungeon with the first try if you have some luck and are careful - which I found impossible here. That’s why the rating is 7 instead of 9. Should I get around to play v1.3 one day this might change.
Puzzles: 5. Your major chance to improve your already high dungeon-designing skills I think. Not bad at all, solid, pleasant, light riddles with the main idea on traps and monster-creation/avoidance. What I think would enhance it is a different style of puzzles at some point - some real brain teasers or problems that do not launch fireballs at you or release yet another creature. Still, nothing to critizise from what you built, it all worked and was fun - but the better a dungeon, the higher the expectations.
Size: 9. The only reason you don’t get the highest rating here is that I was slightly annoyed when it ended (despite my initial fury with the ("matrix") and the fact that I’d have hoped for some intertwined end in the style of the towers before.
Replayability: 8. I’ll very likely play this one again, possibly in the latest version (be that 1.3 or an even newer release freed of clones) and I’m looking forward to it. Shame that riddles and tricks do not "rotate" or "change" so I’ll know some already at least.
Craft: 9. Yeah, well. I don’t think I have to deviate from all the real experts that have played this dungeon before, I’ll just salute you for this magnificent effort.
Game Ending: 6. Except for the puzzles the only thing that could really be improved. The more dungeons I play, the more thankful I am for a different approach at the end, be it a riddle, a simple text message when finishing a tasks or something... anything... new. Chaos is still the master of disaster and a pleasure to fuse, but I get tired of demons and shooters around him more and more. Maybe for the next dungeon you might consider a surprise at the end...
Atmosphere: 10. No doubt about it. I started and was hooked, strained my eyes, hammered at the keys, cursed and only got up for more tea/coffee/cigarettes/the toilet. Even canceling appointments. And at some points (for example "The art of war - surprise") you made me jump. Exceptionally well done.
Overall: 8
Best part: "Battlefield", "run and run", top of the towers, "The art of war".
Worst part: Matrix, finding the emerald key.
Review: Comments: I’ll structure the way I went through the dungeon, starting overall, then dividing into the ways and commence at the final part.

Death knights right after the start: Did you ever try and take them on yourself? I tend to reincarnate my party, but even with resurrected characters, I see no real possibility here – pretty soon your stamina will fall and you’ll get killed pretty quickly, even if running around.

The basic setup of level 11: A novelty (bathroom/kitchen) and the screamer training area (kitchen) a good choice before entering any of the towers. Certainly a place I liked to come back to after each tower...

Assassin way: Nice start with the rock pile spiral and "the range", which took some tries, since I used reincarnated characters. "Run and run" – I did not like you very much for this... but it was very demanding to solve and I finally did. Shame you nearly can’t beat it with your first try, just too heavy. Flying eye/scorpion/pressure pad room good, but the emerald key in one of the pits is bad - no hint at all on that one (V1.2!).

Archbishop way: After finishing the assassin the start was nearly a walk in the park, but the "corridor of evil" made up for that. I enjoyed the very small level 6 with the incredibly strong screamers a lot - no tricks, just one fight and they keep screaming... ;o) Nearly missed the tourquoise key from the vexirk, but after the emerald one I was more alert. The long and winding scorpion/flying eye section was a good test for quick movements.

Court mage way: Good start with the teleporters, I thought it was nice that the follow-up was more annoying than letal, for the party was too trained for rives and gigglers already, but they kept bugging me, so I had fun. "Cast your influence" was a nice theme on the known subject, the vexirk area above pretty challenging. On the scorpion area on level 4 I was just following the script and getting by well.

Warlord way: Glad I took this one at the end. Battlefield: great idea with the teleporter in the middle and the Ant-men triggering even more of their kind. The second part after the first hall was too hard to do with the first try – after readjusting my tactics I’d survive with some luck, though. Overall, a fascinating level. Couatl/skeleton section was a good variation after the tough fights before and still very demanding. Arena: I was very careful after reading the text and the levels before, so I never stepped on the pressure plate with the bones. Would have been unfair to make it invisible, though since you cannot escape, so even if it was easier than expected I liked to be able to kill them in their cells by being careful before. "Art of war" – one of the nastiest surprises sprung on me ever since scorpions still startle me – but I had been warned. Especially the end part with the executiner is very tough – but you can manage. Not if this is your first tower, though.

Level 3: Too hard in version V1.2, I’ve said enough already on the matrix, so you know my opinion. Even without that, zytaxes, golems and spiders are very hard indeed to survive coming up again and again.

Level 2: I liked the Warlord way best this time – open fight with (even that many) Oitus was fun. Assassin was probably the hardest, Archbishop for "resting" and Court mage had me dancing with zytaxes which I don’t like, so tricky, too. Shame that the spiders are easy prey - at least one or two could have closed the pits of the others after dying. Not that I’m complaining... ;o) Generally, I liked the idea with the "guardians" of each tower a lot.

Step inside/take a ride (level 12/13) : A hot dance at the start, the dragons provided fun. "Show me..." was a good if not too hard riddle except for "power". I had to search a little on level 12 avaoiding Chaos and some of the other buggers to find my way and finally simply guessed at taking the pit. Should have saved before... but one dragon was no problem at this stage. After some more that I created when going out (was getting a bit boring I have to admit) finally the last battle. Ironically, I saved the game at this point in June and only discovered yesterday I had not finished it, so I did. Was not easy, but with the trusted aid of the firestaff I think I’m not such a bad Chaos-buster after many dungeons, so it did not take too long.

Your technique of making the party create their own doom elsewhere by triggering numerous pads has a nice irony, even though you sometimes overdo it a bit. A lot of traps and ideas were unique or at least well modified; atmosphere and tension trusted companions during this dungeon. It was certainly among the very best I’ve played so far.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Custom dungeon 'Imprisoned Again' review by Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)

Post by beowuuf »

Reviewer: Michael Hutton (a.ka. Beowuuf)
Gameplay: 8. As Prison of Dragoth, but the cross-linked towers makes it even better.
Originality: 8
Difficulty: 8
Puzzles: 8
Size: 9
Replayability: 8
Craft: 7
Game Ending: 8
Atmosphere: 8. As Prison of Dragoth.
Overall: 8. Definitely one to play.
Best part: The start in the prison/keep (again), the cross-linked towers.
Worst part: Needing to drop down a pit to solve a puzzle still!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Zyx
DSA Master

Custom dungeon 'Imprisoned Again' review by Benjamin Prieu (a.k.a Zyx)

Post by Zyx »

Reviewer: Benjamin Prieu (a.k.a Zyx)
Gameplay: 9. This dungeon is a model for good balance. The difficulty increases progressively, the weapons and armor are hard to find, the water level must be watched. Only the food is overabundant.
Originality: 8. The tower idea is well transmitted, the prison is a good start.
Difficulty: 8. Many tough parts. I died a lot. Exploration is easy, though.
Puzzles: 8. Good, complex and numerous!
Size: 8. Long but linear.
Replayability: 6. You can start by another tower, but I guess it would be pretty the same, there are no subquests, secret areas or independant zones to explore.
Craft: 7. Amber has clearly an excellent skill at dmuting.
Game Ending: 8. Good, except for the pit thing, and hard. Though the end is classic, it happens at a climactic time since you have to go through the 4 towers before reaching it.
Atmosphere: 5. With more furnitures and texts, and a storyline, it could be improved. It's still very immersive.
Overall: 8. This is undoubtely the masterwork of Amber (for now).
Best part: The layout is "intense" (there's no empty zones), the 4 towers idea is masterfully designed. The traps and puzzles are legions. I liked the Battlefield!
Worst part: Entering pits to finally find a key, the monster generators are sometimes tiring. Several keys are useless, is it on purpose?
Fueaint
Neophyte

Custom dungeon 'Imprisoned Again' review by Christopher (a.k.a Fueaint)

Post by Fueaint »

Reviewer: Christopher (a.k.a Fueaint)
Gameplay: 9
Originality: 8
Difficulty: 9
Puzzles: 7
Size: 6
Replayability: 8
Craft: 7
Game Ending: 7
Atmosphere: 6
Overall: 7
Best part: I liked the four towers idea and can't wait to play your next tower dungeon. For some reason I really liked the Run and Run part. Maybe could have used an imaginary wall though.
Worst part: I have to agree that finding the key down a pit was a real job. I didn't like that some monsters were not capable of fighting, i.e. some spiders on top level of the towers were trapped on preasure pads. Demons or Poison Slimes would have worked there quite well I imagine.
Review: Good job and great dungeon! I look forward to playing your others.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Custom dungeon 'Imprisoned Again' review by Paul Hayes (a.k.a PaulH)

Post by PaulH »

Reviewer: Paul Hayes (a.k.a PaulH)
Gameplay: 10. Once I started I was up 'til the early hours.
Originality: 8. Good start, original layout, some nice new traps.
Difficulty: 7. Some bits were very difficult, others maybe too easy. Not for a complete beginner
Puzzles: 8. Interesting puzzles kept you hooked.
Size: 9. Very large. Used a lot of the available space.
Replayability: 9. Just starting a one man attempt!
Craft: 8. Nothing too complex: this dungeon shows that you don't need a lot of hex editing or OTT dmuting to achieve a great result.
Game Ending: 7. The last battle was hard, and the demon fighting at the top of each tower was great and added to the build up.
Atmosphere: 9. Everyone has an interpretation of what 'atmosphere' is, but for me it was a certain 'feeling' in different parts of the dungeon, such as spookiness, fear, alarm, relief or satisfaction.
Overall: 9. The whole concept was expertly done, and flowed from one section to the next fluidly. Some great fights, the start and the finish (not to mention the bits in the middle) and the 'atmosphere' add up to an enjoyable experience, and in my opinion is the best dungeon to date.
Good work!
Best part: I liked the scorpion traps, as I had no freeze boxes so had to be quick on the mouse. Hard but not impossible.
Worst part: The knights in the 'matrix'. Generated too many in my opinion so got a little tedious hacking my way through. Also too many Inquisitors, did I count three?!
Review: Finally I would say this was for the artisan/adept player who has had a go at some simpler dungeons first. I completed it in about 3 days but at the rate my (novice!) sister is going it will be Christmas by the time she gets done. But she will not give in which shows how addictive it really is...
megar
Journeyman

Re: [Custom dungeon] Imprisoned Again [DM PC, CSBWin] [Benjamin Räuchle (a.k.a Amber or sucinum)]

Post by megar »

I just finished Imprisoned Again, it was so better that the Prison of Dragoth !
I liked it a lot.
See both endings (yes, there are more than one !)
Thank you for your work !
The 4 way were great, I liked to be able to map it. Liked the second part of the 4-way, feeled a little like DDD (just a little !)