Solo runs with various champions

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
RogerS
Craftsman

Solo runs with various champions

Post by RogerS »

I intend to use this thread to keep track of which champions I've completed Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back with solo.

Continued from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=31572

Completed:
Halk
Tiggy

Next up:
Hissssa
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Re: Solo runs with various champions

Post by jayrshaw »

Good luck on the Hissssa run, RogerS!

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

jayrshaw wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:44 am Good luck on the Hissssa run, RogerS!

--Jay
Thank you Jay :)

At the end of the worm level.

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I suppose since you've already done Tiggy, everyone else is gonna seem pretty easy :D.

Post by RogerS »

Easier in some regards at least :)

The biggest challenge with the low mana and wisdom types is getting their magic capabilities up to an acceptable level. It's a slower grind in the beginning, and the low base wisdom means either having to quaff Dain potions twice as often to keep wisdom in an optimal range, or accept having the wisdom score in a sub-optimal range.

I'll probably pick up the Crown Of Nerra instead of Flamebain for this character.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

My usual run is (reincarnated) Hissssa and Wuuf. Hissssa starts with just enough mana to cast Lo, then after a rest, add Ful to it. So once I go down the stairs to Level Two, I stand there in the dark and refuse to move until the two of them have got the light level maxed between them. It's not so bad getting the Wizzy/Priest levels up enough to have the mana for regular spellcasting, especially since I only have two characters so all the work (and exp) is being split between just the two of them, rather than a full four. I don't think I could be arsed with someone who started with less mana, 'cause then I'd have to faff with swapping mana-granting items in their hand till they could actually cast "by themselves". And I can never be arsed with any of the potions for that kind of thing - I just mane health potions and cure poison ones as needed - both my characters just have a flask in their off-hand at all times so I can cast that stuff when I need to :D.

Post by RogerS »

DM completed.

jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Wow - you're tearing right through these runs, RogerS!

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

King of the Munchers, munching through the game, munch, munch, munch, om nom nom >:D.
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I know I keep saying it - well at least in the past - but Stamm is my favourite solo character. I think he still holds the solo speed record! The axe early on is a huge bonus I find.

Leif is another favourite. I don't tend to go for the weaker spell casters, but I might try again just to see.
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Ameena wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:00 pm King of the Munchers, munching through the game, munch, munch, munch, om nom nom >:D.
:lol:
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

With my abuse of stat boosting potions, maybe I should be called king of the munchkins instead (if you know what a "munchkin" is in tabletop RPGs)? :lol:
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

PaulH wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:25 pm I know I keep saying it - well at least in the past - but Stamm is my favourite solo character. I think he still holds the solo speed record! The axe early on is a huge bonus I find.

Leif is another favourite. I don't tend to go for the weaker spell casters, but I might try again just to see.
Stamm certainly has good stats, and great stamina. The only downside is his mana.

One of the best champions for sure.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The Munchkin Muncher...that is, a munchkin who is also a muncher, not someone who munches munchkins. And now I've done that thing where I used a word too much in a short space of time so it no longer looks like a real word (munch) :D.

Post by RogerS »

I just picked up the Ku and Ros corbums.

Afterwards, I also found Diamond Edge in the hidden niche in Supplies for the Quick :)

RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

CSB completed :)

RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

I've started a run with Gando now.

Completed (3/24):
Halk
Tiggy
Hissssa

Current run:
Gando

Next in line:
Zed
Wuuf
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Good luck, RogerS - if you keep this up, you'll have the entire dungeon memorized in no time!

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

jayrshaw wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:24 am Good luck, RogerS - if you keep this up, you'll have the entire dungeon memorized in no time!

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

DM done.

jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Hey RogerS,

Does using different Champions make the runs feel somewhat different to you? My inclination is to think that once you've managed to train your characters a bit that they tend to have somewhat similar capabilities - however, looking at Gando's 56 base Strength and 39 base Vitality in your latest run, I can see how going with a stronger Champion might have felt a bit different......

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

The runs tend to get kind of the similar. I did set out to see how many different DM champions I could solo the game with though.

The most noticeable difference is between champions with low wisdom/mana and high strength and champions with low strength and high wisdom/mana.

I feel the high mana champions might overall be a bit easier, since it's easier to get their casting capabilities up to a level where they've got enough mana to keep up the buffs and have some spare mana left over for other spells.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Maybe you could try adding in some other challenges too, like "no spellcasting" (except essentials, like that one Zokathra, or that bit early on where you have to open a door), or "only use a dagger", or whatever. Might change things up a bit for you?

Post by RogerS »

I'm fine with the challenge of only playing one champion at a time. I definitely don't feel like doing a no spellcasting run, it would feel suboptimal to not take advantage of all the options available in the game to conquer the dungeon.

If it starts feeling like a chore and stops being fun, I'll take a break.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

A "no spellcasting" run would definitely be brutal, although definitely possible if you're willing to resort to some of the tactics the speedrunners in this forum typically use....

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

I'm halfway through CSB, but decided to take a break and haven't played since Friday.

I'm thinking for my next run maybe I'll use RTC. I tried it in Wine, and it works fine except for a 10+ second delay before the GG splash screen pops up at launch (I don't remember if that was also the case when running it in Windows). I did complete DM and CSB in RTC with a party consisting of Syra and Nabi in September 2021 (picking up from where I had left them at DM level 5 in March 2021).
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I have just had a go at "No spellcasting" with a reincarnated Hissssa in CSBWin. Tactics usually involved isolating certain monsters and using the Vorpal Blade on non-materials. The worms were pretty tough then the Couatls even worse but after that, he was powerful enough to withstand several attacks. He gained the priest levels through war crying which gave him enough mana to cast Zo Kath Ra at the end. I didn't bother with The Vault so no need to cast Zo. I did collect magical items such as the Fury and Storm Ring but he isn't a high enough Wizard level to use them.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I've just started a no magic game too! I'm recording it in csb4win - I'll upload once done.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

It's cool seeing people attempt the "no spellcasting" run - congratulations on completing it so quickly, Ian Clark! Which Champion are you using for your run, PaulH?

--Jay