Game crashes when too many items are generated in the game

Things in RTC that do not work as expected (compared to Dungeon Master) or at all! Please read previous posts carefully to see if the bug has already been reported.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
tavvva
Neophyte

Game crashes when too many items are generated in the game

Post by tavvva »

Hello. I'm playing one of the custom RTC based dungeons and got in a state when too many items are generated and the game crashes due to that. My last save demonstrates the problem .. When I either kill the rockpile producing 4 stones or cast zokathra 4 times, the engine goes down. I expect there's a static array of items declared in the code and there's no check for reaching the maximum. Would it be possible to allocate the array dynamicaly or at least make the size configurable in the config.txt ? Thank you
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Game crashes when too many items are generated in the game

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah that's a shame. No-one here has the source code to RTC so it's not possible to make any changes to fix that bug unfortunately. The original author of RTC stopped working on it 15 years ago. I think the best you could do would be start the game again and try and minimise the amount of actions you make that generate new items.
Cycl0ne
Craftsman

Post by Cycl0ne »

yes its a shame he didnt opensource it. Another option could be, take the editor and tell the rockpille to generate only one or 0 stones?
tavvva
Neophyte

Post by tavvva »

Well, I tried to contact George via e-mail a week ago, asking him to release the source code under a suitable open-source license, but got no response. It's such a pity, since RTC looks like one of the best DM clones ever made. Unfortunately it has few annoying bugs and this one is the worst. I loaded one of the older saves and started collecting things from the ground and selling them in the shops to keep the game alive. I'm playing the dungeon called "Down" and fortunately almost everything can be sold there, so ... a workaround exists :]
tavvva
Neophyte

Post by tavvva »

Has anyone tried to do a reverse-engineering of the RTC file format? I would write the engine from scratch, but analysing the file format could take ages and it makes no sense to build a new engine with no support for the RTC dungeons :/
tavvva
Neophyte

Post by tavvva »

Cycl0ne wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:55 pm yes its a shame he didnt opensource it. Another option could be, take the editor and tell the rockpille to generate only one or 0 stones?
Well ... the editor only eats .TXT files and doesn't accept the .RTC file. Is there any way how to edit .RTC ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I recall there was a weird hack where it's possible to open . RTC files in the editor, but I don't think they can be saved back out as .TXT files.