Working on a new Data Viewer like ADGE

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Cycl0ne
Craftsman

Re: Working on a new Data Viewer like ADGE

Post by Cycl0ne »

Hi Paul, thanks for the offer. But this nut i have to crack :wink: Otherwise it wouldnt be fun doing so. :lol:
But what i accept are tips and wisdom like your int16 :D
On the other hand, like you said: it doesnt care, in my javascript dungeonmaster game is used this algo from me, without even knowing the redmcsb source:

Code: Select all

// this.seed = 99
    srand(): number {
        this.seed = (this.seed * 9301 + 49297) % 233280;
        return this.seed / 233280;
    }
    randomInRange(lower: number, higher: number = 0): number {
        if (higher === 0) {
            [lower, higher] = [0, lower];
        }

if (lower > higher) {
            [lower, higher] = [higher, lower];
        }

const range = higher - lower;
        const draw = this.srand() * range;
        return Math.floor(draw) + lower;
    }
    // later in code:
    // randomInRange(0,29);

and it looked good and nobody cared :lol:

What motivates me here is, the" why". what am i not seeing, that on two platform, calling the same code, it differs. and i my brain doesnt even stop when sleeping.. In the morning i woke up, i thought, maybe the compiler used internaly for the calculations the int32 and then after the calculations forced it to int16. then i thought: was my amiga not a 32bit machine with registers D0/A0 in 32 bit? So it would make sense. Then i thought. 1987, wasnt the intel cpu halve 16/32bit at that time... when the 32bit is used, then all the shift operation pushed it automatically down to 16bit (even with the last step of modulo) or is endian an issue here? but the 99 is the only value from "external" source....
and so my mind drifts off searching for possibilities.. and this is fun :D In computer science in university, i would think they called this lecture numerics. There we also analysed (from what i remember) the rounding errors of different bit widths etc.

so im not a dataminer, but more an algorithm-miner :lol: (ok and little dataminig :wink: )
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

But this nut i have to crack
Good luck torturing yourself. If you want help, call.
Cycl0ne
Craftsman

Post by Cycl0ne »

Thanks Paul, i apreciate it! :) Found a bug in my code about the random ornaments, not sure if it was it, but at the moment im deep in Lay1 (DM Version 2.x up) and so proud it works like charm, all coordinats comes perfectly out of the system.

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”