Experiments with higher-res RTC/DSB graphics

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Experiments with higher-res RTC/DSB graphics

Post by Gambit37 »

After Linflas posted up his FoD assets, I tinkered with his awesome cave wallset.
I wanted to see how different style creatures would work with it.
Below are some creatures created using different techniques. What do you think?

Note: Just sharing for fun, these are Photoshop mockups and are
not going into a custom game or anything!

Created from scratch using found image assets

Using Spore, "cartoon" style:
Spore is a great utility for creating creatures, but they can be a bit cartoony:

Using Spore, "realistic" style:
With care, you can create more realistic spore creatures. It seems better for
monsters, not so good for anything humanoid-shaped..
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Re: Experiments with higher-res RTC/DSB graphics

Post by linflas »

interesting results with Spore, i would probably change colors to something less flashy.
did you manage to capture attack frame in Spore ?
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You can, in the Creature Editor, have your creation perform a number of actions such as dancing, stomping, roaring, being struck by lightning, etc - since there's also a "take a photo" feature, it's easy enough to capture pretty much any pose you like :).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Linflas: Interesting comment about the colours. I know they're not realistic, but I've found that things simply look too dull and boring if colours are made to look realistic. I like that creatures stand out a bit, it makes it nostalgic for the DM primary coloured palette. ;-)

As Ameena says, you can grab a few frames of attacks, etc. However, it's not "easy" -- the animations are limited and you have to be very quick to click the action, then click the camera. If you do it enough times, you can get something usable though. Unfortunately, the only decent melee attack is a really unconvincing "punch" that makes most creatures distort badly. But if you capture enough other shots, you could frakenstein together something that's a bit more realistic and useful ;-)

Also, I haven't done any post pencilling on these monsters. They would need better self-shadows, etc to look more realistic. The Spore light model is pretty washed out and doesn't have very strong shadows.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Thanks for showing!
I would really like to see a dungeon you made, with items and monsters...the thing is you need attack frames, else it is a bit pointless? (or you make talk adventure ;) )

I like the flashy monster image colour, this looks like eob, contrast-wise?
compare for yourself : http://www.sentinel69.com/

only the squelletons in the back row are too much dimmed, out of synch with the front row skeleton-warriors.
(why do the back row skels not have the same colours ?)

apart from all this niggles, I would play the dungeon already!!

edit: the dim of the skeletons I would suggest to add at another square away from player(not on first square, second row, but second square first row and above..)