Dwelvers (former Dungeon Dwellers)

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: Dungeon Dwellers

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Chaos-Shaman wrote:
Lol SU you misquoted again - that should have Rasmus's name above it, not mine .
better stay on topic SU, or that annoyance will come after you ;)
If that annoyance wants to come after me then it will get a full dose of my Unserious side :P
Rasmus wrote:Okey then, my website is now up http://www.dungeondwellers.net (finally!!), check it out if you want too :) And if you register there you will get all the updates first hand :P
Congratulations on your new site. I took a look at it a few days ago, when you emailed your update, and it's looking quite good. 8)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No better time to check out the website than now, by the way - some very cool news is being shared over there!
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Some screenshots of Dungeon Dwellers with its new graphics :)
http://forum.dungeondwellers.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Looking cool - it's certainly a lot brighter and more cartoony than the last time I saw any images. I did notice that one of the screenshots near the bottom depicts a couple of Imps who appear to be standing with their legs going through the floor, but I'm guessing that's some kind of clipping-related thing that hasn't been sorted out yet.
It's looking pretty good anyway :).
Master Superior

@Ameena: Maybe their half-ghost imps, who's feet can pass through solid objects, but not the rest of them. :P

@Rasmus: the images look great, asside from the issue Ameena spotted. The cartoony look gives a bit of a tong-in-cheek feel to the game, not quite so dark as before.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Now I think about it, something about it reminds me of the Torchlight games, actually. Might be the "chunky" style of the bricks or something. But yeah, I agree that it does make the game feel a bit "lighter"...but it's supposed to be like that, so that's cool :).
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

It's funny you said Torchlight.. You know, I got the idea to use cell-shading from "Dungeon Defenders" and the Towns team have said that they want to make the game like Torchlight. So I think we have gotten the right style :P Btw. I have a friend that pointed out when he saw the screenshots that he thought it looked way to cartoonish, and that the dungeon should have a more rugged style. He saw me play it today and he totally changed his mind.. So I'm pretty sure these screenshots don't reflect the feeling or graphics in the game, so we are about to make a video of it soon as well..
Yeah I haven't implemented and heightdifferences in the dungeon yet, the imps always stand on 0 height while the floor models may go higher than that. But it will be fixed, no ghosts here :P
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

BOO! :P

uhm, you were saying, Rasmus...

:twisted:
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Reorganizing the whole style - in such a short time. What a work...
Somehow it has the WoW-touch now - or even old DM. Wouldn't say that's wrong.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Well, once I got the right style in there the change came rather quickly. It is mostly the lightning and that I added cell-shading that made the difference :)

So, I have a new video uploaded at:
http://youtu.be/BZgtDeh1VCw

Feel free to tell me you thoughts ;)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Just watched it - the game is looking pretty good! I like that you can customise so much stuff in your dungeon, and I also noticed that those wall manacles do look rather familiar :D. I like the way the rooms and furniture and stuff are sort of condensed so that the same toom type can be used for loads of stuff (eg the Metalworks room being used for smelting and smithing, etc). Btw, the term you were trying to think of was probably "radial menu" for the way you click and bring up the icons around your cursor like that :).
Will there be a way to choose your own colour? I mean, all the Imps and the Dark Mother in that demo were yellow - will it be possible to choose your colour when starting a game if you'd prefer them to be green or purple or black or whatever? That would be cool :).
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Thanks Ameena :) Hmm, I don't know what you mean with familiar looking wall manacles :P Yeah, a lot of people have been pushing me about being able to customize the rooms, so finally I gave up and made it happen, and I must say that it have made gameplay a lot more fun. Also, it is easier to have a lot of different buildings when they are able to share room. So I think in the end that not only the gameplay benefits from this but the buildings can be created faster by me, not having to do a whole new room with different decoration from start every time I add a new building type.
Radial menu? Okey, I will remember that for the next video ;)
About the colour, yeah the idea is that I want as many options as possible available for the player, so that he can make the dungeon as personal as possible, and this includes different colours on the creatures and walls, also being able to create different wall types and so on.. I think I will have a sandbox mode added with the upcoming alpha demo, and with this I want the players to not only enjoy the fighting and making the dungeon as productive as possible, but also experimenting with the looks of the dungeon. This may not affect the gameplay much, but it has been proven in sooo many games that it is loads of fun :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, it's fun to just make stuff look cool - being able to change colours, add decorations to walls, floors, armour, etc. All that kind of fluff stuff that doesn't actually make any difference to the game beyond making stuff look the way you want it to :D. Generally messing around building random stuff is more fun to me than actually playing an RTS properly, because I'm not very good at them, so I normally just arse about a bit and then cheat and make all my units really uber so I can just destroy everything :).
Master Superior

This looks great. I love the changes you made to the game. It would be good to have settings to adjust the level of micro management for building though so you don't have to build every little detail (such as torches) in a big dungeon, and can have the imps automatically build them every so many squares, and same randomly place other wall decorations when set to more of a macro management mode. This would give the player the flexibility to build every little detail when the player wants to, but also have the game just generate them automatically when the player doesn't want to manage the small details.

Still, I'm really looking forward to trying the latest demo when it's ready. :)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I gave the dungeon a little different look: http://youtu.be/DkDVpdqqB-k
Please leave a comment and tell me which one you would like to see in the future :)

Yeah I know, it is just that I want those *** enemies in there before I release the next version. After that the releases will come a lot more frequent :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

just watched the vid..... i think this is just great, and it would really add to it if you got the enemies in there,would like to see how you do the battle scene
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I love the new version of the graphics, it looks way more like a dark master's dungeon and less like a cartoon, yet still has a bit of the cartoonishness left. I can't wait until version 5 is out so I can check out all the new stuff and play around with it myself.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

@Rasmus: I was about to mark you game as a "yes" on the steam community and found out it's not there anymore. Do you plan on putting it back up under its new name? If so, I'll stop by and give it the "yes" it deserves.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I have removed the Steam link and replaced it with the IndieDB link. We are planing on putting in on Steam under the new name, but not yet :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh yeah, I was meaning to ask - what was the reason for the name change? I'm not complaining about it or anything - I kinda like the new name, plus it's more unique than "Dungeon-whatever" as so many other games have been called over the years. I'm guessing that was why you changed it - so it can "stand apart" from the others, sort of thing. And combining "dwellers" and "delvers" into one word is a good idea, I think, seeing how that's basically what the dungeon denizens are :).
Master Superior

Rasmus wrote:I have removed the Steam link and replaced it with the IndieDB link. We are planing on putting in on Steam under the new name, but not yet :)
OK, my steam-yes will be ready and waiting for when you're ready for it. :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Cool...omg the hydraulics stuff looks sooo complicated, like redstone in Minecraft, but I bet there'll be plenty of people who have fun with making the most comlicated traps possible :). It'd be cool if the moveable walls would squish stuff that got caught between them - I noticed the ones in that vid just seemed to kind of push the Impanzees out of the way rather than turning them into little red splat marks on the opposite wall ;).
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Well, because it can be a little to easy to just squish enemies I was thinking that the movable walls just stopped moving if a creature is on the tile and have nowhere else to go :)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Rasmus wrote:A new video uploaded ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRzO0Z4wuek
Great, I'll have to check it out when I'm not so busy... A week sick with the flu and now I have twice as much work to get caught up at college so very little time for fun :(
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I just wondered:
if a player encounters enemies, how can she tell how many there will be coming?
In a worst case scenario, you build a complicated contraption for 4-5hours ;) and 14 critters attack..
could be that enemies are unlimited?
briefing at level start? counter counting down
scout unit?

hope you still are in good spirits, Rasmus!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

There's been some discussion about having some sort of monster that specializes in scouting, my suggestion was a ghost that can't really attack much but can scout the territory and possibly has some sort of covert advantages (ie is hard for enemies to see). Not sure where it's going yet, but it's still pretty early for things like that so hopefully something like a scout will be added before all's said and done.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Re: Dwelvers (former Dungeon Dwellers)

Post by Rasmus »

Merry Christmas to you all :)

Just thought I drop by and show of the latest progress, I just released the 0.6 version and here's the video :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1XgzqWi6m0

I'm sorry I haven't been more active here, but this game is taking up all of my time right now. Not that I don't think it is fun developing it, but it does come with certain sacrifices.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Looking good, as always :).
The Cyclotaurs look obscenely strong, and there were so many of them! You must need an enormous army or an epic trap gauntlet in order to destroy that many.
One thing - I couldn't see any indication of the Dark Mother's health at the end there - is it possible to see her damage (either via a health bar or by her visibly changing in appearance in the wya Dungeon Hearts did in the DK games), or is that something that'll be added in later? Also, can you heal her if she gets injured and/or does she regenerate health over time?
Master Superior

Hey rasmus, good to see you drop a line over here.