Performance issues - Resolved

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Novice

Performance issues - Resolved

Post by 14621 »

I started playing the RTC version of DM a few hours ago, and the game was smooth at first. However, at some point already on the first level (below Hall of Champions) the game started to use 100% processor power (3.15Ghz) or thereabouts and slow down repeatedly. There was a lag between pressing a button and the related in-game action (moving, in this case). Perhaps it's not a party killer, but it felt very out of place after the smooth beginning.

Has anyone else had similar issues with this port?
OK. "Problem" solved. My party was carrying too much weight. I guess I should have mentioned I'm completely new to this game. I realized what the problem was when I was trying whether DM Java had similar issues, and after making a huge map, tried to get past the first skeleton by giving myself dragon plates and all such heavy stuff, and of course the same "issue" suddenly appeared. (Should've just made a high level party or something.)

Well, anyway. Now I can get back to playing the game. Sorry for the confusion!
Last edited by 14621 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Remma12
Novice

Re: Performance issues

Post by Remma12 »

My machine is pretty old, XP running on an Athlon xp1700+ at 1.48ghz.
Been running version 0.49 for a few months now, compiling my own dungeon too so I've been using it pretty intensively and have never had a problem with it, ever.
Out of curiosity, are you running directx 9.0c?
Novice

Post by 14621 »

It's not long ago (several days) that I updated my directX 9.0c. Should I be using an older version than 9.0c?

My processor is an AMD as well. It can use MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, and AMD 3D Now! instructions, although as everyone knows, older games are usually optimized for older processors, when they are optimized at all (ever wondered why consoles can run graphics heavy games with such feeble hardware?).

I have no idea what's going on with this port though, except that it doesn't seem to like my processor at all.

EDIT: I should add that it's really a dual core processor, and the 100% usage was for one core (shows as 50% in the task manager). Obviously, the port doesn't have multi-threading capability.
Remma12
Novice

Post by Remma12 »

It's not long ago (several days) that I updated my directX 9.0c. Should I be using an older version than 9.0c?
no, you should be fine, just wondering if you were using 10 on vista or something.

Could well be right about the multi-threading, perhaps try playing around with assigning cores in task-manager?
Novice

Post by 14621 »

OK. "Problem" solved. My party was carrying too much weight. I guess I should have mentioned I'm completely new to this game. I realized what the problem was when I was trying whether DM Java had similar issues, and after making a huge map, tried to get past the first skeleton by giving myself dragon plates and all such heavy stuff, and of course the same "issue" suddenly appeared. (Should've just made a high level party or something.)

Well, anyway. Now I can get back to playing the game. Sorry for the confusion!
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: Performance issues - Resolved

Post by ian_scho »

He he he, that's brilliant. Thanks for letting us know.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

learning it the hard way ;)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Oh, how I envy you for experiencing the best game ever for the first time...