RTC Config

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

RTC Config

Post by Antman »

Hi Guys

Sorry if this has been brought up before, in fact I'm sure I've had this problem myself before... So, finally got round to deciding to play TOC for the first time, so I went and downloaded RTC, I'm using a new computer which didn't have RTC already on it. Anyway, got into the game and realised the keys weren't set up as I would like them. So I went in to the config file and changed the movement keys to as follows:

KEY_STEP_FORWARD NUMPAD8
KEY_STEP_BACKWARD NUMPAD5
KEY_TURN_LEFT NUMPAD7
KEY_TURN_RIGHT NUMPAD9
KEY_STEP_LEFT NUMPAD4
KEY_STEP_RIGHT NUMPAD6

Unfortunately, this had no effect, the keys still played as if foward was numpad8, back was numpad5, turn left numpad4 and turn right numpad6, with no keys for strafe left or right. I had a few more goes at changing it and changing them to different numpad keys but whenever I started the game it always reverted to that same setup. I even wiped the whole config file and it still went back those keys. I even deleted the config file, which caused the game to tell me it was terminating before happily starting and using those same keys. So it looked like I was cursed to use those default numpad keys, but I really can't see how you can play the game with being able to strafe left and right, do people actually play without using those movements and never changing the default settings? Or use the mouse pointer to move? I'd be interested to know. So after that I decided that maybe just the numpad was cursed so I tried a combination of letters for the movment:

KEY_STEP_FORWARD I
KEY_STEP_BACKWARD K
KEY_TURN_LEFT U
KEY_TURN_RIGHT O
KEY_STEP_LEFT J
KEY_STEP_RIGHT L

And that worked fine, annoyingly. I can play the game with those keys but it's annoying as they don't line up perfectly like the numpad does. I can't remember how I solved this last time, if I did at all. Anyone know how to get the numpad keys working as I want? Maybe I'm just making an issue out of nothing and should just stick it out and get used to the letter keys for movement, I guess you do for first person shooters...

Thanks in advance for any help!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: RTC Config

Post by Gambit37 »

Are you sure you're using a tab between the declaration and the value?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Are you sure you have NumLock ON on your keyboard?

I rewrote the config in the same way as you discribed it, and it worked fine (both with the numpads and letters). But if you turn the NumLock OFF, the keys work differently no matter what you have in config.

(I should note that I'm using an external numeric keyboard for my laptop)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Have you tried turning it on and off again?
Seriously though, the numpad on laptop keyboards take a bit of getting used to.... Assuming you're using a laptop! If you managed to get the character keys working with the config then the NumLock is the most likely candidate.

The image below for example shows the blue Num Lock button but how do find the 'blue' shift key?

Another reason why Jan's suggestion is a good one, where the NumPad is diagonal instead of vertical.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

WASD are more natural for FPS players, i switched to them for RTC, adding Q and E.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Ah it was numlock, don't think I've had to use it before. Thanks for the help. Finally managed to get out of that first room in TOC. :) Loved the sound from the old game Gods when you make the hammer.

Oh and using a destop not a laptop.