dmute getting started

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

dmute getting started

Post by Guest »

Hi. I am finding it really difficult getting started with DMute.

I have downloaded the program and got in running in Windows. When I go to open a file, it is asking me for a .DAT file.

I can see a .DAT file, but its in the Atari ST operating system thats running on my Steem Emulator.

What do I do next, this is driving me nuts!

Thanks
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I have a hex editor available for download via the encyclopaedia website

The .dat file is the dungeon.dat or dmsave.dat file in your DM folder you play the game from. If you are running a .adf disc you won't be able t ose the starting dungeo.dat file and can only alter the dmsave file easily
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wake up Beo -- he said ST emulator!

You'll need some kind of tool that lets you extract the files from your .ST or .MSA save game image. I know nothing about ST emulation, so try a web search.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I thought you could open the dmsave disc with DMute sicne it is just the dungeon file? I seemed to recall a dmsave.adf that I oculd view...maybe I'm wrong...
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

You don't need any additional tool. Just enable a hard drive in Steem in the disk manager. You will define there a folder on your PC that will be used to store the virtual Atari ST hard disk.
Then boot the Steem emulator without any floppy inserted.
On the GEM interface, open your floppy (in disk A), open the hard disk (disk C) and copy the file you want by drag and drop.

Similar method can be used to extract files from Amiga .ADF files with WinUAE.

Of course, there are also PC tools to read these files. For Atari, I recommend MSA Converter: http://msaconverter.free.fr/index-uk.html

I think this question is a good candidate for addition in the Encyclopaedia FAQ.

Post by Guest »

Brilliant thanks that worked.

I think its a good Q to put in FAQs because I would imagine many people might play the Atari ST version having remembered it from the past.

Thanks

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”