A new data extractor for DM/CSB (called sck) is available

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
greatstone
The data extractor

A new data extractor for DM/CSB (called sck) is available

Post by greatstone »

Hello DM addicted people!

I am currently working on a new tool, the Swoosh Construction Kit (lazily called 'sck'), which is a data extractor (written in Java) dealing with Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back resources.

By 'resources', I mean a majority of the files included in DM/CSB releases (graphics.dat, song.dat, cedtls.dat, hcsb.dat, animate.dat, swoosh, *.ftl, *.smc, *.amg, *.sng, etc.) in order to extract images, palettes, sounds, musics, texts, oracle hints, animation, ftl files, amg files, utility disk, etc.
It can extract items from Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back, Dungeon Master 2 on the following platforms: Amiga, Atari, FM-Towns, PC-98, PC, X68000, SNES, SegaCD.

To be as generic as possible, this tool relies on mapfiles. Mapfile format has been initially created by ChristopheF (Encyclopaedia webmaster) for his own data extractor. To support new items, the mapfile format has been extended with his collaboration.
The last release of the mapfile format is available on the web site and is fully supported by sck for all item types. Each resource must be associated with a mapfile describing its content in term of mapfile items. For well known resources, a set of mapfiles is already available in the internal database of the tool and you don't need to provide it.
For unknown resources, you must specify the mapfile to use. The link between a resource and a mapfile is done with the help of the MD5 string of the resource.
resource + mapfile => sck processing => images (BMP), palettes (PAL), sounds (WAV), etc.

A huge work have been done to understand the most part of the SNES rom.

Feel free to ask me anything about it.

Visit http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/ to see all credits and features.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

great work Greatstone !!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Has anyone tried the tool? any feedback?
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

Hello all,

A new sck has been released (http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/index.html) with the following features:
  • * dungeon.dat extraction in XML, using dungeon compressed or not, little endian or big-endian,
    * XML dungeon conversion in HTML (CSS,Javascript,Images,etc.),
    => DM maps can be generated automatically, even for custom dungeons, without any manual actions.
    => the "random" decorations (fountains, etc.) are also computed and available in these maps.
    * support for SNES images using multiple palettes for group of tiles.
    * the generated maps for multiple platforms have been also published in the web site.
The previous releases also add:
  • * CMP files extraction (portraits inside Chaos Strikes Back utility disk) with all their attributes (name, title, system reserved words and image).
    * FTL files extraction (named *.ftl: ANIM.FTL, APPA.FTL, APPB.FTL, CNFG.FTL, GRF1.FTL, KAOS.FTL, MEM1.FTL, SWSH.FTL, USIO.FTL, VDEO.FTL, etc).
    * Atari PAK format
    * graphics.dat extraction
These extractions are available for all DM/CSB platforms:
  • * Amiga, Atari, FM-Towns, PC-98, PC, X68000, SNES, SegaCD.
The Web site allows to find also:
  • * some technical documentation:
    • * an updated mapfile specification supporting all these new item types.
      * description of the FTL file format
      * description of the IMG5 item format
      * description of the Atari PAK file format
    * all the mapfiles (included in the sck archives)
    * the sck tool and its add-on (sckExtraPak)
    * some samples
    * all DM and CSB supported maps (extracted data section).
Feel free to read/use/comment if it seems usefull for you (or not :) ).
If you have any specifc request to support a new extraction feature, I am always open.

http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/index.html

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, that's looking impressive! Will have to try it out when I get some time! :)
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

I've downloaded it, along with the extra pack (the link for which was, at the time, broken, but searching around a bit I managed to locate the file, I trust it will be fixed soon if it hasn't yet been) and now I'm at a loss as to what to do with it.

I've tried reading the website but I don't understand its jargon, there is no readme, no executable I could locate in the multitude of folders and subfolders, no tutorial as far as I can tell. Maybe I can be arsed to figure it all out from scratch, probably not. Too bad, it looked promising...
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

Quick tutorial (MS-DOS command):
Note that this tool has been tested with Java 1.5 and Windows XP but should be compatible with any platform supporting Java 1.5.

1. Extract dungeon.dat in XML
===================
cd "<path to the directory where is located dungeon.dat>"
set SCK_PATH=<path where is located the sck.jar>\sck.jar
java -jar "%SCK_PATH%" extract dungeon.dat
pause

=> you will have a new directory "out_DUNGEON.DAT" containing the dungeon in XML.
ex: out_DUNGEON.DAT\0000.DUNGEON [Dungeon].xml

2. Convert XML to HTML
================
unzip the sckExtraPack archive.
Edit the ms-dos command "_TO_CONFIGURE_xml2html.bat" located at the root of the sckExtraPack archive to set your own path to locate the XML, XSL (in sckExtraPack), output and sck.jar.
This script shows you an example.
Then, run it.
You will have the HMTL pages in the specified output.

These MS-DOS commands are very easy to translate in shell script if needed.

3. View you dungeon
==============
Open the dungeon.html page in Firefox or IE6.

Finally, I know that my work is actually not very user friendly, very accessible.
I will try to clear that a little :)

Nevertheless, I am always open to suggestion/modification and the first one will be: "a clear tutorial".

Regards.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I would sat a PC based set up file that "installs/runs" the editor would be usefull to some I'm sure, and someone else may be so inclined to make a mac one too. I understand that Java is multiplatform.. but it's also a big download and many times an iritation as it often wanted access to the net to do upgrades.. it was as bad as realplayer.. at one point it turned out to be a security risk just having it installed.. it's also emulated so it's never as fast as a regular EXE would be. It also provides an extra layer of complexity to the end user that is in most cases undesireable. It's one of the things that DMJava had issues with..

Just been my experience with java in general. Using it for web based softare, is usually fine.. but for windows based software.. or mac based software.. not so much.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Greatstone wrote:
You can use this tool to write custom mapfile for a lot of games, not only DM/CSB. A sample mapfile for R-Type III (GmaeBoy Advance) has been included as an example.
can I extract graphics etc. from games like EOB, Black Krypt etc. by your tools then?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

ChristopheF wrote:Has anyone tried the tool? any feedback?
I did but only after a lot of messing about gettingit to work.
greatstone wrote:Quick tutorial (MS-DOS command):
Note that this tool has been tested with Java 1.5 and Windows XP but should be compatible with any platform supporting Java 1.5.....
I agree with Cows :if you want people to get into this tool and appreciate your hard work, it would be better if you could release it with some scripts already setup for the basic tasks (extracting graphics, dungeons, etc). Java is great for programmer type people, but for a lot of people, they just want to point and click and get results. The reason there has been little interest in the tool is that it's not yet easy enough for average users to get results from it "out of the box".

We know that practically everyone on the DM forums is using Windows Can you therefore provide a release that includes some simple batch files for the common functions? I think you would get a much better response if you could do this.
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

Hello Gambit,

Yes, I see the point.
In fact, this project takes me a lot of time and the "technical" side is my motivation. That's why having a nice packaging was not yet my first priority.
I understand that it's hard to use this tool as is (not impossible, but hard).
The focus for the next release (web site and sck tool) will be: more user friendly, provide an online extracted database of all extracted things (maps, images, sound, etc.), a real documentation/tutorial.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

hi.
sck extraction, and sckExtraPak worked well!

i'm interesting in SNES 558 item. is it possible to export in another format readable by program? sck exports it in well formed text format. i havean idea to code a viewport renderer library, which will be avail for modern rad tools like VB. it will be reusable exported data if output is readable format by mechanical way, such as xml, .
he focus for the next release (web site and sck tool) will be: more user friendly, provide an online extracted database of all extracted things (maps, images, sound, etc.), a real documentation/tutorial.
wow, database? would you build Encyclopaedia in everyone's pc?
cheers! :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've finally looked at this in a bit more detail as I was interested to see if I could use the HTML map creator for the Codex. At the moment I have hand drawn maps in Photoshop which look nice but don't really offer anything over the ones on the Encyclopaedia, so I thought more interactive maps would be better.

So I checked out the XSLT converter and my goodness: this is an amazing piece of work! It's fantastic that you can convert DUNGEON.DAT into XML because this info can be used by anyone now (well, anyone who knows how to use XML files). :)

I am going to see if I can streamline the XSLT script because the resulting HTML files are very large. Shorter class names, combined CSS image sprites and a generic function for tooltips would all help to improve this and make it more efficient. That's a question for you guys: why does the script generate a new function for every tool tip -- wouldn't a generic function that accepts parameters be better?

I probably won't be able to look at it in detail right now as I'm working hard on the Codex, but I'm looking forward to playing with this a bit more.

Excellent work, GreatStone and Christophe! :D
greatstone
The data extractor

First sck (DM item extractor) 2008 news

Post by greatstone »

Kentaro, Gambit, all DM fans,

First, sorry for the very late reply but "Real Life"tm is a huge project to maintain also (wife, new baby, house, job, etc.).
So, what? Just one year between two posts? Not so bad for me :)

Then, some news about my own DM addiction:
* I finally find the time to update/rework my own site (http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/index.html) and focus more on the extracted data themselves than the tool itself.
It's a first step to be more accessible, I hope.
* Now, all DM/CSB versions (that I have) have been extracted and published online, trying to stick with new versions published on Christophe' site (dmweb).
* The sck tool has also been updated to fix some incompatibilities with some exotic DM/CSB versions.

Now, the future directions:
* keep on providing new stuff for dmweb
* extract custom classic dungeons online
* sck: convert SNES 558 item in XML, as requested one year later (anyway, all items should be extracted in XML at least, as it is a good way to open them to any exotic conversions).
* sck: try to find/implement improvements to reduce the size of dungeon maps in html. Gambit, did you find the time to think about a way to do this?
* sck: support DM2 graphics.dat and dungeon at least (huge job here to do).
* sck: be able to extract CSB savegame to be able to have the map of the full dungeon, not only the mini initial dungeon as currently done. Christophe has already done a great and unpublished job (specification) about this to help me on this subject.

I hope that the next message will not be published one year later :)

I am always open to any new suggestions or modification requests, even if not very active on the forum. As I frequently share my DM obsession with Christophe, I can stay aware of all the requests if any.

Finally, I am glad to see that at least two people found some time to play with my non very friendly tool and show some interest about it :)

GreatStone.
greatstone
The data extractor

First custom dungeon extracted

Post by greatstone »

I have made a little update of the web site to add the items extracted from one custom dungeon ("Theron's Quest conversion" by Sphenx) and a non DM/CSB game, R-Type III for the GameBoy Advance.

Regards,
GreatStone
greatstone
The data extractor

Lot of old style custom dungeons maps published

Post by greatstone »

Hello everybody,

All the custom dungeons available (=downloadable for me), which use regular DM/CSB dungeon and graphic file formats, have been extracted and published on the sck web site.
So, there are now online a lot of spoilers :) but nobody is obliged to look at them.
I hope that this initiative doesn't hurt any dungeon designers here.
Don't hesitate to drop me a mail if is a problem.

Regards,
GreatStone
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cool, I will have a look when I get some time. Thank you. :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

How do I get the dungeon.dat out of the SNES smc rom files? I wanted to use SCK to work with the SNES version but don't have any original SNES dungeon files.

The SNES dungeon file I managed to create was using a tool from Kentaro, but SCK doesn't recognise these dungeons:

http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/files/dun ... s-pcat.dat
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

The dungeon you extracted from the ROM with kentaro's tool should work fine with sck, so there seems to be a bug in sck.

However, I tried to extract the whole SNES ROM :

Code: Select all

java -jar sck.jar extract DungeonMasterSNESUS10.smc
and it worked fine, including for the dungeon data.
In the extract folder, look for the file
262144.ROMDUNGEON [Dungeon data].xml
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The tool I used was the PCAT converter -- is that the same thing you used?

Anyway, I'll try it your way, thanks Christophe.
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

Hello Gambit,

Feel free to send me (monnot.pDOTwanadoo.fr) your file for analysis. I will be happy to have a look and explain you the process to extract what you want or debug the sck tool if required.
The sck should be able to extract any original (original only) SNES version (PAL en/NTSC en/NTSC jp 1.0/NTSC jp 1.1) and produce an XML representation of the dungeon.dat item.
Then, the XML dungeon can be converted into HTML using the sckExtraPack add-on.
See the tutorial here: http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/t_tutorial.html
Or a specific article here:
http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/d_articles ... _html.html

The sck should also be able to handle dungeon.dat file extracted previously with PCAT.

Finally, if you use a specific SNES ROM built by yourself, the MD5 signature of the ROM will be different than the original signatures known by the sck, used to recognize SNES ROM and item locations inside.
Moreover, dungeon.dat will perhaps be not strictly at the same place in the ROM and the sck will be unable to extract it.
Anyway, extracting the dungeon.dat from a custom SNES ROM can be done by the tool of Kentaro, then the dungeon.dat file can be converted by the sck if necessary.

Regards,
GreatStone.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Don't worry -- I realised that I was being silly!

I was trying to EXTRACT data from the DUNGEON.DAT!!

:oops:
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

You are not silly at all as the sck is able to extract all information from a dungeon.dat file! An xml file is generated, allowing to see the content of the dungeon and this xml can be converted into html maps.
All the dungeon maps avalaible on my web site have been generated using the sck.
The next release will be able to understand csbwin dungeon.dat and csbgraphics.dat also.

Regards,
GreatStone.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I have seen a japanese snes version of Wizardry 6.
(It has better looking graphics than the pc version)

you can download a japanese version
and run it with an emulator.

Would it be possible to use sck to extract data from
this wizardry snes file .smc?
( I am asking because it worked for R-Type.?
{Probably there is a problem with copyright, but
it would be interesting to see all the graphics} )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I got the SNES extract working fine, thanks for the help.

I can't extract any files from the GRAPHICS.DAT from the Japanese Sega CD version of DM2. SCK says "Impossible to find MAP file."

I *can* extract files from the GRAPHICS.DAT for the ENGLISH version of Sega CD DM2, but SCK does not generate any images, only *.DAT files. Some *.WAV files are also generated, but they do not play in any media player.

I think these are not yet supported fully...?
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

Hello gambit,

Yes, you are right. DM2 is not really supported at all.
I have done some tries (you will find some mapfiles inside the sck jar) but a lot of format are custom to DM2 and not yet implemented.

But it is on the top of my todo list, and all these formats are well known thanks to Kentaro and Christophe, so it is just a matter of time to add them inside the sck.

For the SNES thing, Christophe reports me that the dungeon.dat extract with the kentaro tool is not readable by the sck: it's surprising because the dungeon.dat format is well known and the decoder is quite robust so I wil have a look to find the difference between the dungeon extracted from Kentaro tool and mine.

Zoom: the sck is able to support of lot of games, as soon as a mapfile has benn written to describe where are located the different items and what are the format of these items. The different formats need also to be supported and the sck is far from understandin anything.
So, to extract something from wizardry 6, I must check the format used in the ROM and write the mapfile.
I have done a little try and it seems that I should be able to extract at least some images quite easily. But the priority remains DM and CSB, of course.

Regards,
GreatStone.
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

OK. So DM2 items are not really on the top of my list, as it is not yet done.
But, improvements are still on the way, after the full support of CSBWin resources: targets are 558->562 items and savegame extraction. DM2 will follow, surely...
Baaahh... Who cares?

Note that dungeons extracted with Kentaro tool can be converted to xml, without any problem, at least on my own environment.

Regards,
G.
[http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/index.html]
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: A new data extractor for DM/CSB (called sck) is available

Post by Gambit37 »

I was wondering if any progress was made on extracting DM2 graphics?
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

Hello Gambit,

Short answer: no.

Long answer:
In my current internal release (available on request) I have added the full extraction of the item 559 and partially 558
+ all animation files can now be extracted
+ added a standalone viewer to play DM/DM2/CSB animations
So, DM2 is still a fresh territory to discover :)

Regards,
G.

Release notes extract:
* sck: extract: up-to-date extraction of item 559 versus spec "Mon, 2008-08-11 21:48" from dm&csb encyclopaedia
* sck: extract: partial decoding of item 558 to have at least monsters custom colors 9, 10 and transparency
but colors and transparency are not yet applied on monsters images
* sck: 'extract' and 'view' utilities tested with all known animation files, with success!
* sck: extract: support of animation files improved
FS, GD,
SD with all known internal sound formats (SND2, SND3, SND4, SNDS),
TD with track and graphics.dat reference
note that CD-ROM tracks must be dumped as "<xxx><track_number>.wav" in the same directory
=> only wav is supported, not mp3 nor ogg.
* sck: view: standalone animation viewer support all items extracted by 'extract' utility
one exception: XA, which seems to be bugged

Tested animation files:
CSB - Amiga - 3.3 (en-fr-ge)\content\ENDA.DAT
CSB - Amiga - Utility disk (fr)\content\ANIM.DAT
CSB - Amiga - Utility disk (ge)\content\ANIM.DAT
CSB - Amiga - Utility disk R3 (en)\content\ANIM.DAT
CSB - FMTowns - (en-jp)\content\ENDING.ANM
CSB - FMTowns - (en-jp)\content\STORY.ANM
CSB - PC98 - 3.1 (jp)\content\ENDING.ANM
CSB - PC98 - 3.1 (jp)\content\STORY.ANM
CSB - PC98 - 3.1 (jp)\content\TITLE.ANM
CSB - X68000 - (jp)\content\ANIM.DAT
CSB - X68000 - (jp)\content\ENDA.DAT
CSB - X68000 - (jp)\content\TITL.DAT
DM - Amiga - 3.6 (en-fr-ge)\content\TITL.DAT
DM2 - MegaCD - 1.0 (jp)\content\ENDA.DAT
DM2 - MegaCD - 1.0 (jp)\content\SWSH.DAT
DM2 - MegaCD - 1.0 (jp)\content\TITL.DAT
DM2 - PC9801 - 1.0 (jp)\content\diskA_boot\SWOOSH
DM2 - PC9801 - 1.0 (jp)\content\diskA_boot\TITLE
DM2 - PC9801 - 1.0 (jp)\content\diskC_data\END
DM2 - PC9821 - 1.0 (jp)\content\END
DM2 - PC9821 - 1.0 (jp)\content\TITLE
DM - PC - 3.4\TITLE
DM - PC - 3.4\END
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I think "Dungeon Master II Graphics.dat Editor" by kentaro can extract all items from all versions of DM2: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/721
And my own script can also extract some: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/707

Gambit, what are you trying to achieve exactly? Just so that we know what missing feature should be implemented :)

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”