RIP Frank Frazetta

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

RIP Frank Frazetta

Post by Gambit37 »

The Master of Fantasy Art has passed. :(
"He's going to be remembered as the most renowned fantasy illustrator of the 20th century,"
Absolutely! Other than Tolkien, I don't think there's anyone who has had such a profound impact on the world of fantasy. Probably all modern fantasy artists owe a debt to him in some way. Our little obsession would not be where it is without him. Rest in Peace. Crikey, I'm actually tearful :(

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 0969.story
Zyx
DSA Master

Re: RIP Frank Frazetta

Post by Zyx »

Oh, sad. I appreciate a lot his art, in particular, obviously, during childhood.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

He certainly had an interesting design style. However when I first encountered his work I wasn't sure he was still alive since it was already old at that time. Seeing this news a while back made me wonder what he was doing with his art all this time. I saw a lot of his old work displayed in magazines even long articles dedicated to his work and yet never any mention of new works.

Either way, he was a big influence on many who have influenced me! So I'm greatful for his contribution to fantasy art and inspiring millions all the same!
Sir Handsome
Novice

Post by Sir Handsome »

he had a stroke at some point, I dont think he did much after that. i met his wife at his little private museum in pennslvania in 2003 while on a school trip, he was there unfortunately.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

He was there unfortunately? What do you mean by that?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Maybe because he was in a bad way after the stroke and it wasn't pleasant to see him in that state? Just guessing here, based on what was said - I'd never heard of the bloke myself ;).
Novice

Post by Sir Handsome »

oops, typo, i meant he wasn't there unfortunately. I would have liked to meet him.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Right, OK, I wondered what you meant. @Ameena: I'm really surprised that you've not heard of Frazetta, pretty much anyone I know who's into fantasy has heard of him, he's an iconic artist.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I might have seen some of his pictures but not known it was him - if I see a pic I like, I usually just go "Ooooh, that's cool", rather than immediately rushing to find out who the artist is ;).