DM & CSB Online Reference Spreadsheet

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
AndrewGB
Novice

DM & CSB Online Reference Spreadsheet

Post by AndrewGB »

Happy new year everyone. I've created a spreadsheet using data presented on the wonderful dmweb.free.fr with the purpose of making it easier to reference. I've included actions, creature details and items (with associated graphics) and excluded a lot of unnecessary data that would have made it unwieldy.

You can view it here: https://www.iwork.com/r/en/?a=p10264664 ... 2219C07A14

If you have any problems, please do tell immediately as I haven't asked anyone else to test it yet (I have no friends, I stay indoors and make spreadsheets :lol:). You can leave comments anywhere on the spreadsheet for me and others to see and you can also download the spreadsheet in various formats.
RAF68
Lo Master

Re: DM & CSB Online Reference Spreadsheet

Post by RAF68 »

thank you very much these grids its will be very useful for my Dungeon :)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Thanks Andy.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Ohh, wonderful work, Andrew! Thank you very much! This will be extremely useful! The PDF version is perfect! :P

I wanted to ask - is the online sheet "searchable" somehow? I've tried it in Firefox, but it searches only through the navigation list. It would be a good tool.

And I would also recommend to display Rive in his "full" form - this "invisible" form is... almost invisible... :wink:

But as I said, the sheet is simply perfect! :)

And - welcome to the forums! :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums!

You should e-mail Christophe with this, it's the sort of useful tool I'm sure he'd love to integrate into the encyclopedia!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Indeed, very nice!
AndrewGB
Novice

Post by AndrewGB »

Thanks everybody. Unfortunately it looks like one cannot run a search within the online version, you'll have to download it.

I will make some minor improvements and then contact Christophe. It'd be an honour if he used it on his site.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The spreadsheet sounds like a good idea. However, it would be cool if you could make it less proprietary and more universally accessible:

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You and your chrome love! It supports firefox 3!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

What about Internet Explorer too? iWork doesn't love that either...

You really don't want to get me on a rant about this... ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Probably not - or at least not in this thread. Do a rant in the informal forum while waiting for Dr Who :D
AndrewGB
Novice

Post by AndrewGB »

Gambit37 wrote:What about Internet Explorer too? iWork doesn't love that either...

You really don't want to get me on a rant about this... ;)
Why, are you actually going to defend such an utterly awful browser? You can't access most Apple online services with IE because it's not capable of handling the latest internet technologies (IE can barely run old code and then it does so slowly!).

Shame about Chrome, one would expect that to work but bare in mind the online service I am using is still in beta. I strongly suspect they haven't tested/optimized it in Chrome yet and simply don't want to commit themselves (probable would work fine which frustrating).

Hopefully it will be posted on dmweb as a PDF.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Worked OK in Opera after a warning.
AndrewGB
Novice

Post by AndrewGB »

Oh so you can go on past the warning and it works fine. I just tried it in Google Chrome and it works as-well. So there never was an issue. Wish people wouldn't waste my (our) time.
Last edited by AndrewGB on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Never mock an admin! :D

Edit: Nor edit once another says something. Now I look like I'm just mad! Umm...madder...
AndrewGB
Novice

Post by AndrewGB »

That's person's an admin?.....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yup. Also, he works in IT and also works from home so spends his life on computer, so tries to limit his recreational online time. So you could say not putting a warning about browsers was wasting his time!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

You're both wasting your time, now. :P

Nice table. A couple of small glitches I noticed:
:arrow: The CSB "Greater Oitu" uses the DM Oitu graphics. They are actually slightly different graphics.
:arrow: It says that Animated Armours give you helms of darc, when they don't.
AndrewGB
Novice

Post by AndrewGB »

Hey I work in and IT and from home as-well and don't like spending my time looking into people's complaints because they couldn't be asked to press a button marked Continue. Could we please move on, I didn't start posting here to enter arguments.
AndrewGB
Novice

Post by AndrewGB »

Sophia wrote:You're both wasting your time, now. :P

Nice table. A couple of small glitches I noticed:
:arrow: The CSB "Greater Oitu" uses the DM Oitu graphics. They are actually slightly different graphics.
:arrow: It says that Animated Armours give you helms of darc, when they don't.
Oh thanks, good information. I will update the spreadsheet soon.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I was merely pointing out that the iWork service isn't compatible with the most popular browser on the planet. I'm a web designer and well aware that IE is awful but 70% of internet browsing is done with it and in my opinion it's foolish to ignore it.
AndrewGB
Novice

Post by AndrewGB »

Fair enough though it's not the most popular browser, just the most used (there's a difference :wink:). Personally I don't give a monkeys about IE users, it's their choice to use it (it's not like iWork.com doesn't work with modern browsers) and they get what they deserve for supporting such a crap technology. Maybe such examples as iWork.com will encourage them to look at other browsers.

Moving away from that topic, don't forget that you can leave (helpful) comments on the spreadsheet itself.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I *LIKE* applications that don't support IE!
'Tis a plus in my book.

Where is that anti-flame potion? Eeek!
I hereby volunteer to absorb all fire without
complaint or even comment. Try me! :?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Whatever non-compatible browser is used, pressing on continue is needed once anyway. So I've interpreted that popup as a disguised way to make advertising for Safari and nothing else. And the popup comes back each time i relaunch Chrome, and that's irritating.

Helpful comments :
- creatures sheet too wide, it needs a hd resolution for a full row to be read. 75% fits, but is not readable. So you can maybe remove the unuseful spaces around creatures bitmaps, stats titles.
- why some cells have blue or black background ? is there a legend to explain these colours ?
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
AndrewGB
Novice

Post by AndrewGB »

Paul Stevens wrote:I *LIKE* applications that don't support IE!
'Tis a plus in my book.

Where is that anti-flame potion? Eeek!
I hereby volunteer to absorb all fire without
complaint or even comment. Try me! :?
Thank you Mr. Stevens. I do like having my first thread on a forum flamed, it's such a warm welcome (pun intended). Hope your anti-fire is greater than mine (I did have Flamebain but it got rusty and I threw it out. What a geeky joke).
Last edited by AndrewGB on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AndrewGB
Novice

Post by AndrewGB »

linflas wrote:Whatever non-compatible browser is used, pressing on continue is needed once anyway. So I've interpreted that popup as a disguised way to make advertising for Safari and nothing else. And the popup comes back each time i relaunch Chrome, and that's irritating.
I honestly don't think so and they're not going to put Firefox as an option in the pop-up are they. As I said previously, it's probably because they haven't fully tested, what is a beta service, on a browser which has only been available on the Mac for about a month I think. Before they do, they're not going to commit themselves.
linflas wrote:Helpful comments :
- creatures sheet too wide, it needs a hd resolution for a full row to be read. 75% fits, but is not readable. So you can maybe remove the unuseful spaces around creatures bitmaps, stats titles.
- why some cells have blue or black background ? is there a legend to explain these colours ?
I totally agree with the creature sheet being too wide, I'll see what I can do though I'm not sure if there's much I can do. As for the cells with the blue or black background, I'm sure you can work it out. If not then you obviously have no need for them being highlighted (otherwise you would have twigged as to why they are).
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Good work, Andrew!
I did similar sheet as for the monsters characteristic (properities and flags).
Take a look:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 46&t=26563
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Personally I don't give a monkeys about IE users
In that case, I don't give a monkey's about your work and won't bother opening it. Ok it is your choice in the end, and I will accept that, but your wording could be better!

I use IE and prefer it over other browsers. Don't have a go at people who chose not to follow your ways.
AndrewGB
Novice

Post by AndrewGB »

PaulH wrote:
Personally I don't give a monkeys about IE users
In that case, I don't give a monkey's about your work and won't bother opening it. Ok it is your choice in the end, and I will accept that, but your wording could be better!

I use IE and prefer it over other browsers. Don't have a go at people who chose not to follow your ways.
Good, I'm over joyed that you wont be using it. I hope people supporting any product that should have died a natural death years ago have a rotten time using it (you'll realize one day). It's not so bad that someone, aware of superior products available, decides to use easily the worst one, it's that MS uses IE's market share to discourage web designers from following web standards and encourage some to write specifically for their clapped out browser. You're supporting what is an immoral act, and a company that has long given up attempting to create best products in their fields, instead holding onto a monopoly by employing dirty tactics that people like you lap up. This results in a 'poorer internet' for all and a rubbish browser experience for you and other IE users. Genius all round.

Thanks to those who gave me a nice welcome but this will is my last post and I shall not be monitoring this thread any longer. If you wish to make helpful comments about the spreadsheet, please use the facilities provided on the site. I will be uploading a new version soon, having made it a little slimmer and added champions and spells.

Moronic welcome from some, way to go at encouraging newcomers to make a contribution (what's this forum for again?..). Lucky I didn't come here before starting the project. Goodbye and truly, have an enlightening new year one and all.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You get what you give I believe, I hope you have a better relationship one to one with people who contact you actively. I'll lock the thread to ensure people use the site channels.