First play through for about 20 years!

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Blackvar
Novice

First play through for about 20 years!

Post by Blackvar »

I never got on with DM as a kid preferring EOB series due to the D&D links. Thoroughly enjoying descending into the depths even if I have got stuck a couple of times already (see first ever post for details :) .
So far made it down to level 11 where the monsters suddenly turn into killing machines haha. Not loving the materialisers and the knight is currently kicking my butt. I will get him though!

Loving the forum, great to meet you all.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: First play through for about 20 years!

Post by Ameena »

Hey, welcome to the forum :). Did you ever finish DM back in the day, or will this be your first full time through? Feel free to ask us if you have any questions or get stuck or anything. Failing that there's also the Encyclopaedia (at dmweb.free.fr), a website which contains pretty much every possible resource you could ever want for DM and its sequels and related games ever ;).
The level you're on (Level 12 to me, as I count the HoC as Level 1) is indeed pretty tricky - the Knights hurt, the Spiders are venomous, and the Spell Vines are just total bastards. Fun times! :P

Post by Blackvar »

Thanks, the Encyclopaedia is an invaluable resource when playing since I haven't bothered to read the manual. I never played through it back in the day as the rune spell casting got on my nerves too much. (Funny how it is one of many players favourite mechanics!) It is a brilliantly tough game and I look forward to playing the sequels.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, yeah if you think DM is tough...it's actually Easy Mode compared to CSB. Good luck with that one when you get there (you can import your DM party and carry on with them if you like), and don't worry about all the getting lost and dying repeatedly that you will undoubtedly be doing :).
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Hey Blackvar, welcome to the forums. I was the opposite - loved DM but never really had a chance to play much EOB. Hop you enjoy the dungeon, the benefit of missing out all those years ago is that now you can experience some parts for the first time. I am slightly jealous! :D
Blackvar
Novice

Post by Blackvar »

I haven't figured out which is the best version to use yet, going to complete in winclone for this first run but wondering if other versions have more textures or run better?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome if it hasn't been said before! I find all the clones have their charms. The DM Java verison uses different graphics for DM if you can get a hold of the dungeon still, all the others tend to use the existing graphics. Running better... CSBwin will be the fastest, the other clones have different features so you might prefer them. All a matter of taste in the end!
Blackvar
Novice

Post by Blackvar »

Sorry that's what I meant is one better in terms of features not how it runs or is it just a matter of preference as I thought. Thanks for answering :) I have had a quick go on java and RTC. I prefer the amiga graphics used in RTC but the keyboard doesn't seem to work. Will have to see if I can find the config for them.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

RTC's keyboard should work right away, might be you need to num lock if you are using a laptop. There is an obvious config.txt file in the root RTC folder to play around with.

Don't miss out on DSB either, it too shares the Amiga graphics of DM. Currently the CSB dungeon for it is getting tweaked to be a faithful recreation of the original atari one :)
Blackvar
Novice

Post by Blackvar »

Ah yeah it's the num lock laptop thing, no number pad :D will look into it.
Blackvar
Novice

Post by Blackvar »

Well that's that! Finally completed DM, Sonja she devil, Wuuf the Bika, Leif the valiant and Gothmog are victorious!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Congratulations! Chaos never stood a chance :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woohoo! Gratz :). Are you going to move on to CSB now? And if so, will you import your DM party or create a new one with the CSB characters? Good luck with the game either way ;).

Post by Blackvar »

Haven't decide what to do yet, but will have fun once I get some more time to play.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Congrats on winning DM.

When you start on CSB, I'd recommend you get used to using the fireshield spell. That would also have helped you in the materializers level if you didn't use it there.

Regardless of whether you import your DM party or use a new CSB party, you'll be in for a huge challenge in CSB. I look forward to reading about your progress in the CSB forum. :)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

oh_brother wrote:Hey Blackvar, welcome to the forums. I was the opposite - loved DM but never really had a chance to play much EOB. Hop you enjoy the dungeon, the benefit of missing out all those years ago is that now you can experience some parts for the first time. I am slightly jealous! :D
I'm on the fence here. I played both and love both EOB and DM.