Lets Play Dungeon Master

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: Lets Play Dungeon Master

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

ahh, well I can only assume that any one key can be programmed on its own, depends how good the mouse is. I am not sure if Nym even knows about the config.txt file. I know that with my mouse I can program whatever strokes I want of keys, it matters on the mouse I think. I use Anywhere MX mouse, it has at least 7 buttons on it.
I think you can do it Nym. only way to know is play with it.
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It would be a matter of knowing what the mouse button is called in the Config file...which would mean GG (if this is RTC we're talking about) would've had to add it as a recognised command when he wrote the program.
Apprentice

Post by Beardedmike »

Hey folks sorry this took so long, here is a quick video

Its more of a thank you for all your help :)
enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PC94tz ... 1tHTNpNNLA
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Just watching it now...
Lol, it looks like you accidentally right-clicked when trying to select Gothmog, which is why it brought up Hulk's inventory.
Ooh you thanked me by name - that's cool, no problem, and I don't mind giving more help if you need it at any point :).
On the subject of swinging your weapon/throwing stuff to gain levels - yep, you gain exp for pretty much any action. You just get more if there's a monster in front of you when you do it. The exp also multiplies the deeper you go in the dungeon, so swinging your weapon on Level Six will gain you more exp than making the same attack with the same weapon on Level Two, for example. I tend to utterly neglect my Ninja levels till I'm all the way down at, like, Level Nine or something, at which point I park in a safe room and repeatedly throw a boulder over and over again, because it's heavy enough that it lands at my feet (chests also work) so I don't have to move to pick it up again. Once it travels one square away (about Craftsman level I believe) I'm lazy so I switch to my other character and let them throw it instead, then once they achieve the same result I just switch leaders back to the first character again and continue on my way :). Anyway, if you think about it, swinging your weapon at nothing can gain you exp because even though you're not hitting anything, you're still learning how to swing a weapon better. It's just better training if you've got something trying to tear your face off at the same time ;).
Gah, you didn't go right first at the bottom of the stairs again - you missed a bit! Oh actually, wait, I think that final half-second of video had you outside the open door there...yeah, I checked again and it is. Okay, never mind ;).
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

heh, thanks Beardedmike. I enjoy your videos, I enjoy your happy tone even more. that is what the forums loves the most, the DM spirit.

I did note that the DOS version does look different, a little bit of Panavision sorta, things are stretched a bit up and down wise. oh I remember playing the DOS version and having troubles with the soundcard drivers, I miss those dayz when everything was new, games were booming, and there was no internet or multiplayer, just pure gaming fun. BBS was about to fall to internet, Amiga books were selling like hot cakes. PC books were about to dominate, floppy drives selling at 200 smacks and everyone wanted a computer.

in this version, why did you pick just two champions?

I'd like to try at hand at what you're doing so I can show others the material I'm working on, seems a lot easier to show everyone and more effective.
keep your gor coin handy
Beardedmike
Apprentice

Post by Beardedmike »

Chaos-Shaman wrote: in this version, why did you pick just two champions?
Just a few times folks mentioned that they play with 2 or 3 champions ( Ameena can play with one, but I am not that hardcore) :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, I played with one once, then got stuck partway through CSB because I coudn't deal with enough monsters to get out of an area before needing a rest. Two is my optimum number - you have a full front row, there's only two people to gain exp (rather than four people all needing to do stuff to level up), you can turn sideways to avoid projectiles (not that I often bother doing so)...you can't let off a quadruple-whammy of Fireballs but you can at least do a double-whammy :).
I wonder what would happen if two people started playing DM at once, on their own computers and everything, and kept up a voice chat whilst doing so - "Okay I'm through that door", "Cool, but hang on, wait for me, I'm stuck fighting that Mummy you killed a minute ago" :D. Mind you, I skip quite a few bits if I don't need to do them. And I tend to start using the maps in my hint book once I get past about Level Three :D.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I guess playing 2 champions can be better, but if the party needs to carry lots of objects that having 2 just isn't enough. upcoming dungeons the party can add or remove the champions they meet. so if one wants to be at one champion to get past an area they can do so, then add back the characters or meet some new ones. this helps the player add whoever they want and they can get them back or get rid of them if they so choose. I found a full party works best for me, as long as one of them isn't so damn weak they can't take a fireball in the face. food and water are the only things that can hurt a large party, so just before they die the player can remove them if they find a better champion, one that is not cursed or aligned witht he monsters they are dealing with. if the wrong champion is in the party, the party could be attacked or not let in the gate. things have changed with how that all works.
I think you'll like to walk through it Beardedmike, see the changes.
keep your gor coin handy
Beardedmike
Apprentice

Post by Beardedmike »

Ameena wrote: I wonder what would happen if two people started playing DM at once, on their own computers and everything, and kept up a voice chat whilst doing so - "Okay I'm through that door", "Cool, but hang on, wait for me, I'm stuck fighting that Mummy you killed a minute ago" :D. Mind you, I skip quite a few bits if I don't need to do them. And I tend to start using the maps in my hint book once I get past about Level Three :D.
I would love playing Dm if it was muli-player
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, DM itself wouldn't work for various reasons...I was referring to two people playing their own games but at the same time whilst updating each other via voice as to how it was going and stuff. I do like playing multiplayer co-op games, though. Borderlands 2 has kept my partner and I busy since last December some time - we're now a session or two away from finishing the last DLC in the highest difficulty mode :D. If there was a multiplayer version of DM that'd be cool...I think there was talk of putting one together a few years back but I'm not sure if it went anywhere.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I see no use of multiplayer dungeons, the party can only see 3 tiles, does not work well with multiplayer. besides I think Ameena has the better way for that, talk to each other while solving the riddles is a great idea, sorta what we do here as it is.
keep your gor coin handy
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yay, I got a shout-out! :D

As for training and gaining levels...what Ameena said sums it up nicely.

Also, if you want to train there are good places to go - two that I am aware of. The point is that if you train excessively you will wind up getting hungry and consuming all your food (no different to training in real life). So the best places to train are locations with renewable food sources and also water fountains. The screamer room is reasonably early on in the dungeon, the rat room is later but because it is deeper in the dungeon you level up faster. As a kid I spent lots of time in the screamer room - training and every so often venturing out to scout the nearby areas. I found it fun, but in your case that would probably make for a long and not so interesting video :wink:. The rat room I never really got the hang of, I could not get enough rats to keep me feed.

Good job on the video, looking forward to the next.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

With less than four people, you also don't need quite as much food (unless you really do spend a long, long time in the dungeon). I eat cheese first (because it's the heaviest), then get started on the Screamer Slices...and still tend to have some left at the end of the game. And that's without specifically stopping to train at (or return to) the Screamer Room :D.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

my practice is to never waste, never sleep unless everything is exhausted. this to me has been the best method. sleeping is the worst thing a party can do if food is an issue. I use potions to restore health and stamina, using the axe allows me to do so, I do not need much mana. because there is no waste the party gets more practice. in future dungeons the party won't want to sleep, it will age the characters faster.
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I don't tend to sleep much either, using potions to restore health and stamina. It helps with the Priest levels, too :).
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yes, it sure does Ameena. my first run through with DM I slept all the time, it made me think I needed an endless supply of food, but then I played a dungeon where food was scarce, conflux I think. after that I learned the skills of a warrior, found it superior over magic, this is of course providing the player is good at left right hand use. not everyone can rub their head and stomach at the same time :lol:
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I tend to start off hitting everything with swords, but later use more and more magic (mainly as the characters' caster levels improve so they have sufficient mana to be able to cast fireballs at as many things as possible ;)). Melée attacks are good against some things, like Knights, and the Dragon certainly gets plenty of stabbing...well, in the case of the Dragon I tend to try and nip through to grab the Fire Gem before taking him on, so I can hit him twice and switch one character's sword out for the Firestaff for a quick Invoke beforehe turns to face me and I repeat the process after the sidestep ;).
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

some weapons allow two hits before moving off to the adjacent square. but they tend to get the player to use the same weapon, I use two weapons to attack, that means two strikes from different party members and if prepared, a fireball too :twisted:

the main advantage of using both is not producing waste on food or time. it gives less time for the monster to regenerate too, if they can. this means the dungeon can be finished at twice the pace leaving time for other activities :) it also means the mouse takes a beating. after playing SOTF my mouse had gone through a million clicks :mrgreen: it now double clicks all on its own :lol:

I would like a dark magicians power, to use health stats. if a character champion wants that extra power, that it can be achieved by reversing the direction of use, instead of going up in health, stamina, mana, that it goes down, like MTG in some ways. this gives the dark side some interesting uses.
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You can't dual-wield in DM and the only weapon I can think of that strikes twice is Excymyr (if I spelt that right) in DM2. Unless you're referring to weapons that refresh fast enough that you can attack with them twice before you have to move. The Dragon is pretty fast - I have time to hit him once each with both characters' swords, then usually have to switch weps and Invoke the Firestaff whilst taking the step back. I keep the spare wep/Firestaff on the cursor so I only need to click once in order to swap :).
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

I dealt with the dragon mostly with fireballs and very little sword action.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I use two axes, both get a swing from front row champions, then if time be allowed that a fireball is also cast. I try NOT to use a weapon twice, it only reduces the stamina twice as fast from the same character that creates an imbalance of use.

the dragon was easy compared to fusing Chaos, good luck WZ, my best solution for you is to cast as many of those flux cages as you can, EVERYWHERE, then go in for the kill, don't be afraid of him, he hates the cages. you may have to take a fireball or two in the face, make sure your strongest champ has the firestaff, you can do it. cast some fire protections, and if you're lucky and still have a freeze box, you should have no troubles.
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I find that he doesn'tt end to cast spells at me if there's a Fluxcage in the way, so I cast three of them around myself near the corner, with the gap looking out at about two empty squares before the wall so I can see him coming and he can't nuke me from across the room. Then I just wait, refreshing the Fluxcages every few seconds, until he decides to wander over in my direction, stepping toward me as I step back out of the centre square (after I've cast the last cage, I mean), and then boom :).
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I don't know if it's due to my version, but a good place to perform this is the little room where you find the hellion.
Sooner or later he teleports by.
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions everyone. Unfortunately have not had much time to play lately, but have not given up!
Beardedmike
Apprentice

Post by Beardedmike »

Side note I found "Back into the Dungeon" Dungeon Master remake in LOG
http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/ ... w%3D&pUp=1
RFR
Neophyte

Post by RFR »

Hi there!

I like the let's play, I always admire when people find something interesting to say for such extended periods =)
I wish I had known about that before I did my review ^^

Also, you guys mentioned multiplayer, If you really want to look into that there is something out there that might strike your fancy: Bloodwych, while gameplay wise (at least in my opinion) was inferior to Dungeon Master, offers the unique and quite interesting possibility to play 2 player split-screen coop.
The novelty does wear off after some time, but the idea is simply amazing. 2 Player simultaneous Dungeon Crawling, long ahead of it's time.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Indeed, I think most players here will remember Bloodwych. We have a sub-forum for that, and there's also a new browser-based version in the works that you might be interested in:
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... 30&t=29869
Beardedmike
Apprentice

Post by Beardedmike »

RFR wrote:Hi there!

I like the let's play, I always admire when people find something interesting to say for such extended periods =)
I wish I had known about that before I did my review ^^