Lets Play Dungeon Master

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
terkio
Mon Master

Re: Lets Play Dungeon Master

Post by terkio »

Thanks Ameena.
I know DM from the Atari ST age...........and was not aware of making potions with the other hand :o I thought it was to hold nice but useless shiellds. :lol:
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Until I played on RTC and someone here mentioned differently, I thought you could only use flasks in your off-hand. Mind you, I do anyway, just so they're there to insta-cast potions when I need them :).
Anyway, let's not derail this thread with general talk about DM - I'm sure there's already plenty of places for that ;). We should probably try to keep this one on the topic of BM's YouTube vids :).

Post by Big Stan 426 »

I am stuck. I really loathe cheating, but if I do not,I cannot continue. I only cheat when I am in a position such as now. Gambit or Ameenah, may I ask for your assistance?
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Meanwhile, you have the maps on the Dungeon Master Encyclopedia http://dmweb.free.fr/
More help: Have a look at the right top of the present page at "Quick Links".
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY Terkio.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If you have any specific problems, I suggest creating your own thread so that this one doesn't get derailed too much - just make it in the "Dungeon Master" section of the forum and post any questions or problems you have which you haven't been able to solve by browsing other posts and/or the Encyclopaedia :).

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY Ameena. I went to the maps and figured it out. I really detest cheating tho. I was stuck for about 5 days. I had no other choice. Anyhow,it is all good now. O:-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

No worries Stan :).
So BM, any idea when your next video will be up? Or has other stuff come up and you haven't got around to doing any more just yet? I know that videos can take a very long time to edit and stuff though (not sure how long as I've never done it myself but I can imagine...) so I suppose you might already have recorded some stuff but it's just not ready yet.
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Wow...that is a lot of information. I just started playing the original version yesterday and the write ups have given me many tips - the quiver, how to sidestep and battle creatures for example. I used resurrection for all my characters - Elija, Wuuf, Daroou & Zed (had to pick Zed with my name being Wizard Zedd lol). Sure hope it's a winning team! I have got the light spell but that's it so far. I have tried a number of random selections and get that it is meaningless or sometimes I need more experience, but have no idea of what I am casting. I assume I will find more scrolls to help in this area - or is there something I am missing for learning spells? I have not watched the videos yet but will watch one and two as that is about as far as I am & don't want to spoil any surprises :)

Thanks for all the wonderful information, I am sure I will come here often for assistance.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Generally it is considered better in the long run to Reincarnate rather than Resurrect when playing DM - this wipes the skills but laves the stats untouched (plus you can rename the characters). This means you need to regain those levels from scratch, and as you get stat increases whenever a skill goes up, you're able to get some extra stat upgrades that you wouldn't have got if your character(s) had already got those skill levels prior to your recruiting them. That said, it's perfectly fine to just Rez them and you can finish the game and everything, so don't worry too much that you're messing up your chances of success :).
Regarding spells, in-game you will only find specific spell recipes written on scrolls, like the one you found at the top of the stairs leading down to Level Two (with the Ful spell). It is possible tog et some spells via guesswork, and it helps if you know what the runes mean - if you check out the game's manual (if you don't have it, check out the DM Encyclopaedia website - it's downloadble as a PDF), you'll find descriptions of what each of the spell runes represents. No spell recipes, though. Should you decide you'd like to look stuff like that up rather than find it out for yourself in-game, the Encyclopaedia has everything you need.
Meanwhile, if you have any questions, go ahead :).
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

For maths geeks only. The number of spells is quite small.
There are 6 + 6*6 + 6*6*6 possible spells.
That is 258 incantations.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Terkio,that is a lot of spells. I wonder if anyone has ever casted all of them. I can just imagine what some of them could do. I wish they had one to create food and water.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I have tried them all in a couple of games to see wether they had more spells.
No spell to create food as far as I know. For this, play Bloodwych.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Conflux gives you the ability to create food and water once you unlock certain spells, but you probably want a few easier dungeons under your belt before tackling it.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

I remember playing a D&D game where your cleric could create food and water after they reached like level 3 or so. Cannot remember the games title tho. A lot of rpgs over the years.:-D
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Ever since I cheated to advance, it kind of took the wind out of my sails. Now , to me it seems like a hollow victory. I am just one of those ppl that feel you must figure it out yourself. Yes gaming is fun but difficult games test your mettle. I am considering going back to Final Fantasy,Wizardry or Demon Souls.I am just plain not smart enuff to figure out DM.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Big Stan 426 wrote:I remember playing a D&D game where your cleric could create food and water after they reached like level 3 or so. Cannot remember the games title tho. A lot of rpgs over the years.:-D
Would the game have been Black Crypt by any chance?
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Honestly The Master I cannot remember . The game you mentioned I have never played.Sorry. I am going back to play D&D. Icewind Dale yo.:-)
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Big Stan,

I encourage you not to give up just yet. Just looking at the maps will not guarantee that you will win the game.
DM is also just the begining. It's where you learn the spells and behavior of the monsters. The real challenge comes in its sequal CSB and the custom dungeons. Even still, there a multiple constest surrounding DM. How fast can you win the game? Collect all the weapons, clothing, armor and items in the entire dungeon and kill all the monsters.
Win the game with two champions. One of the hardests is to play with only one champion. There's also, for the truely dedicated, the Archmaster challenge.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Harder still, I believe is if your one champion is Tiggy ;).
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Bearded Mike,

I just watched Episode 4 and thought that I would share something that helps me when faced with creatures (especially when I am surprised by them). Try using war cry, it seems to "confuse" them and can give you precious seconds to prepare a fireball or other spell or to run away :)
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY. Phoenix. Thanks for your words of encouragement. I will plough on.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Love all of you pll. I am out.Life is too short.Once I started cheating on DM,it became no more fun.I am going back to D&D. Please tell Gambit he is a good guy.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

why playing the UNPLAYABLE Snes version ? i can't understand...
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Beardedmike
Apprentice

Post by Beardedmike »

Hey folks
wow lots of discussion from my lets play :)

Going to change thinks up a bit,

1.I am going to restart the lets play, using the advice and tips from this forum

2. Going to use the Ms Dos version

your feedback is must appreciated :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm, don't remember a DOS version...which one is that? As far as I'm aware all the clones/ports run in Windows. I prefer CSBWin myself, as it's a straight port of the Atari version that I played when I was a kid...though I suppose the STEEM version would therefore be identical.
Anyway, looking forward to the new vids ;).

Post by Phoenix »

There is a DOS version of DM, but it's trickey to get working and the controls are awkward. The STEEM version of DM is uses a binary image of the Atari ST disk, so it is identical. I switched over to STEEM when my ST's disk drive failed.

I also prefer CSBWin whenever possible due to its performance and the ability to redefine the keyboard. Spellcasting is so much easier when you don't have to click on the individual runes. I do expirience some sound issues in Conflux, but then again my gaming system is old...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I used to play on the DOS version of PC back with my old win 98 computer! Was quite sad when I had to give up the win 98 machine :(
Beardedmike
Apprentice

Post by Beardedmike »

One more question folks

What would be your "dream Team" from the hall of champions?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

What would be your "dream Team"
Reincarnated Tiggy. Great fun!