Great Time

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Winnfield
Novice

Great Time

Post by Winnfield »

Just wanted to say I am having the time of my life playing DM again after so many years. I have been trying to get in a few hours a day since I joined up here. After my long hiatus I checked out the champions and chose: Boris, Stamm, Halk, and Gando. I reincarnated them and set out, I was cruising along and the game seemed pretty easy. I was standing toe to toe with everything and kicking their butts then I meet up with 4 mummies and got my arse handed to me! So from then on I had to perform the moving around and striking. The flying snakes and purple worms seem to give me the most trouble. I am currently on my way to the level after the treasure stores(4 or 5 I think). I just got through filling up my packs with as much screamer slices as I can carry, beating them down with my punches to get some Ninja levels :D . My party only uses the spells that I come across even though after 20 years I still remember some of the other ones. I play by memory also as I did before, no graph paper, anyone else do this? The part stats are:Boris(Quip) Craftsman Fighter & Ninja & Wizard, Adept Priest....Stamm(Mandor) Artisan Fighter, Journyman Ninja, Apprentice Priest, Craftsman Wizard....Halk(Bron) Artisan Fighter, Journyman Ninja & Wizard, Apprentice Priest....Gando(Sven) Journyman Fighter, Craftsman Ninja, Adept Priest, Apprentice Wizard.
"And you will know my name is the lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Great Time

Post by Ameena »

The level after the Treasure Stores would be Level Six (counting the HoC as Level One). I tend to skip Level Five these days as the Flying Snakes are horrible and there's nothing essential that you need on that level, so you can just go straight along the corridor and down to the next level :D. Anyway, it sounds like you're doing pretty well so far...if you're playing it "legit" in terms of spell-learning, you're not that far off the Fireball spell now then :D.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Winnfield, i know what you mean about those worms, try using warcry on them, then attack. i also play by memory, but if it's a custom dungeon, memory is not reliable for spells or use of items. i use memory mostly over mapping. it seems it is easier to remember what the dungeon looks like with carefully placed items on the floor than it is to follow a map. DM is a lot of fun, now go and beat the tar out of those worms.
keep your gor coin handy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds a cool party you have, I find Stamm and Halk solid for fighting, and spellcasters with mana can aways be retasked to priest-y things as well as throwing around magic.

I always tried to figure out spells in the old DM game, so had fireball before level 7).
Winnfield
Novice

Post by Winnfield »

And done!....That was sweet, I guess this version is a little different than the one I played a long time ago. I could have sworn that when I went up against the last guy there was a small room you could go into. My characters ended with Boris(Quip) Artisan Fighter, Craftsman Ninja, Adept Priest, 1st Master Wizard....Stamm(Mandor) Expert Fighter, Craftsman Ninja, Apprentice Priest, Expert Wizard....Halk(Bron) Expert Fighter, Craftsman Ninja, Journyman Priest, Expert Wizard....Gando(Sven) Artisan Fighter, Craftsman Ninja, 1st Master Priest, Expert Wizard. Well I am go to start on CSB now, is there an option to transfer these characters over or do I have to take the ones that are there? Actually I think I will probably just take new characters to try them out. I heard CSB is harder than DM also. I have never played CSB so I hope I am in for a treat :D Is there a particular order I should play the rest in?
"And you will know my name is the lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You can indeed import an existing party into CSB. I think all you do is, from the main CSB dungeon doors, click on the scroll lying on the ground (bottom-right corner of the screen) and it will bring up a menu with four options, which if I remember rightly are "Consult the Hint Oracle", a portrait editor, the game credits, and the party importer thingy...the latter obviously being the one you need to select. Then it will ask you to select a saved game, so pick the last save you made in DM and it will import the characters from that save (minus their equipment, of course - stats and skills will remain the same) so you can start playing with them. If you want to take a new party instead, just enter the dungeon through the main doors like you did when starting DM. Once you've picked a party from here...erm...I think you then save the game, quit back to the dungeon doors, and import that party like you would an old DM party as I just explained above. But as I'm always attached to my DM party, I don't ever do this so it's possible I'm wrong about something there. But I'm sure someone will correct me if that's the case ;).
Gratz on finishing DM anyway :). There is a small room in Lord Chaos's main room - to the left in the far corner from where you enter (doesn't matter if you enter from the bit with the "up" stairs or the longer corridor which only holds another set of staits down - both are in the same wall). If I remember rightly it has the Flammit on the floor, or in a wall alcove or something. I don't think I've ever actually been in there.
When you say about playing "the rest", do you mean custom dungeons? Because no, not unless a designer has made multiple dungeons designed to be played in a particular order. Also there's DM2 as well, if you can get hold of it. It's available in RTC but as it uses the RTC engine I think a lot is missing from it - no Magic Maps (and thus, no Scout or Porter Minions), and I don't think the animations are there either. I still have the original disc (yay for DOSBox :D) so I've never tried the RTC version.
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

If you don't care about importing, you might want to try the DSB version of CSB.

It has a lot of audiovisual and UI enhancements over CSBwin (audible monsters, drinking from fountains, etc.) but is much truer to the original than the RTC version.