Best Training Locations

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
samsonite
Neophyte

Best Training Locations

Post by samsonite »

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before - I had a quick look but did not find a discussion although it must have been talked about. No matter, why not start a new discussion?

So, a lot of people talk about the "rat room", but for me, as soon as I hit level 4 (the one with the worms and Horn of Fear), I use the "screamer room" near the end with the re-spawning screamers. Reason for using this is that it's the first re-spawning place I know and screamers do no damage while having a few hit points to train anything you like. If you wonder around that level, you will meet re-spawning worms too for a tougher exercise.

The other thing I always do when playing DM is to pick 2 fighters and 2 wizards, but put the wizards up-front for the first few levels to level them up in fighter skills, give them loads of health and strength. Then when I get to the above location, I level them up as much as I want then switch the "real" fighters to the front and level them up. I do Ninja skills too (and wizard and priest when I hunt down a few worms from time to time). The net effect is that you enter level 5 with 200-300 health on all characters and some very skilled all-rounders.

Just wondered if anyone else uses level 4 for this purpose? Also, you can grab water from down the stairs to level 5 and there is unlimited food from the screamers and worms.

Cheers,
S
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Re: Best Training Locations

Post by Paul Stevens »

Reason for using this is that it's the first re-spawning place
The "Choose Your Fate" (One level up) has some respawning creatures.
And there is water nearby. But no food as I remember.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The Screamer Room is a favourite of many people for training in the early part of the game, yes, and then the Rat Room later on (easily accessed once you've opened the stairs plus there's a water fountain nearby too). That said, I can never be arsed to train anyone. About the only training I do is to finally get round to bothering with a bit of Ninja practice when I'm down at about Level Ten or so, where I have each character pick up something heavy (a boulder or chest) and repeatedly throw it and pick it up until it actually lands beyond the square I'm standing on and I have to move to pick it up, at which point I switch to the next person and repeat. That gets 'em up to about Journeyman level and that's where I leave it :D.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hi Samsonite, welcome... you've been missing 4 years.
I think the screamer room is most common for the beginner, as you said, they don't hurt the party too much. I pick a good fighter, an all around skillset, then a wiz and holy man. I change who is the leader often and practice the ninja skills at first. believe it or not but the ninja skill can get pretty damn good at damage, but that takes quick moving fingers to be able to use it well.
keep your gor coin handy