Dragon Plate on "Supplies for the quick"

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Hmm. . . this almost makes me want to stand up to those purple worms and try my luck at getting farther than level one. Almost.
HJP
Apprentice

Re: Dragon Plate on "Supplies for the quick"

Post by HJP »

(This post contain some harsh language, for people over 11 years or something :twisted: )

After years of waiting, there is light at the end of the tunnel (Descent 3 trailer)! Now I have some common knowledge about dungeon and I want to finally complete CSB. This time I decided to start over and take more intelligent character. So I chose Ven High Priest Of Ssha. One character is enough, there is only one to kill, so quite easy to keep him alive. I never use Resuccect, so Re-Incarnation was the way. After getting some important stuff from Supplies for the quick (Vorpal blade, flask), it was time for Junction of the Ways.

KU path like fighting, well, my character is more like spellcaster. ROS was too easy. NETA last time will be second choice. DAIN, that is supposed to be hardest, yeah? So why not choose it first?

After killing some Floor dust things with Vorpal blade and gathering some non important stuff (like another Vorpal blade), I accidentially made it back to JOW. As spellcaster, I decided to take Neta. Again, that WC paper dude problem, Horn of fear helped a lot. Quite easilly managed to get Tourquise key and made my way to Diabolical Demon Director.

After exploring for some time, I found a door with text KU. Wrong door dammit, and after stepping on wrong pit I was again on SFTQ. I decided to grab some more keys before going to DDD again. So again JOW, this time I take that KU path. Lots of fighting on the way, I encountered that Dragon Mongor again. With his axe the corpse will chop (Death: Zombie Ritual).

I needed a better weapon and on alcove seemed to be another axe. Too bad, on same room there are four armored dudes with swords, however they do not care about me. Luckily, every one of them are in some king of short corridor, so before taking that new weapon, have Zo fireball ready. Cast couple of them to that dude on left, go to corridor and since those dudes do not regroup as three, one by one they collect the dead (Annihilator: Hell is a War). Executioner came my new primary weapon.

After killing many blue dudes with wooden clubs, I made it again to DDD. Of course, I did not remember way to KU door anymore, so after exploring I was standing on front of NETA door. And of course, something went wrong and back to the JOW. Back to DDD and finally managed to find that KU door, it was time for Dead End.

Now I knew how this thing was supposed to work and resistance is futile in the face of vastly superior technology (UFO: Enemy Unknown). At Dragon Den I lacked some Ninja levels and after I realised that dragons cannot come through door passages (and they do not fire fireballs through closed doors), I decided to kick their asses. First some Strength porions of course, I did that along the way all the time (Strength something like 140), it took about 300 kicks per dragon to get some food. 2 ninja levels gained in the progress.

Powertowers gave even more strength, following Stone club dude and Black leather hounds, faster than sound (Venom: Black Metal) were easy altough I seemed to generate 2 and 4 more respectively somehow, monster generator probably. KU corbum was mine after some exploring. Next up, DDD NETA.

Some exploring again, I found my way to Bone dudes room. Press button, there is a teleport. Go there, nothing, throw item, nothing. Hmm, again some kind of monster teleport? Actually yes. Managed to teleport skeleton behind door. How to kill him? Luckily I had some poison darts and daggers. Door opens and if I remember right there was corridor, NETA door was right behind it. Then I made a mistake. I decided to take my stuff and threw away all stuff from bone dude dying position. I did not notice that door closed. That was very stupid thing I noticed later. Anyway, NETA corbum was piece of cake. Next I decided to take ROS.

"Give up, pull the lever", No I do not! However, I was beginning to run out of throwing stuff. Pretty easy to get DDD, where I could not close one crucial pit and found my way again to that stupid DAIN door. Shit, back to the JOW and DAIN.

Some things already explored, I arrived to corridor with tons of Floor dusts and Water falls. My Vorpal Blade disrupted all them. Not hard to get DDD again after getting Ruby key. "Items in exchange for valuables". Valuables? I won't give any of my valuable items, instead carry rocks there. Rock and roll seem to be valuable, If you're not into metal, you are not my friend (Manowar: Metal Warriors). DAIN corbum seemed impossible to obtain. "Eyes lie", OK so put non valuable stuff to pits and see what happens. Many items dropped somewhere, but managed to see those pits that are not pits.

ROS key still missing, it was quite easy to get after resolving that stupid false wall labyrinth. There was dragons also, very easy ones.

Well, again huge amount of exploring at DDD, one pit was still open did not find any way to get past it. Finally and I noticed that Bone dude door was closed. It was supposed to be open. Well, teleport 5 skeletons into that room, too bad there was corridor open so pretty hard to kill those idiots. I ran out of items that can be thrown through the door and long way to get some. Finally, managed to kill one Skeleton in the closet (Venom) and door opened.

After crossing that stupid pit that too so much time, I got to ZOOM area. Managed to get out of it and to door with golden lock. With lock picks, I did not get those last time I played, tried to pick lock. Dropped somewhere. This IS a prison. No false walls, no buttons, just door that cannot be opened. Well, outside door is Stone dude. Hack the door, "get me outta here"! That does not seem to work. War cry was helpful earlier, so. "Hey fuck you and kiss my ass!". "What the fuck you said to me? I'm gonna kick your ass!" (Kingpin). Well, he did but Healing potions are saving grace. After getting out, I noticed that was famous "Death row". "With nothing important inside", bullshit, that flask is very helpful. On DM, there were tons of flasks, on CSB not.

Again that Zoom area and after some trial errors, managed to some pit area. After exploring, it seemed clear that I must drop from right pit to get to stairs. Stupidly long it took but finally I got last Corbum. Door opened earlier upstairs when walking past it, so Ful YA pit, here I come!

Demons were some problem after I realised that Poison cloud works very well. If has very short recovery time compared to Fireball blast and it gets opponents to back away. After bashing and getting Master key, I encountered Dark Knight (Batman). No fireballs, no Executioner, no Disrupt but Cleave with Vorpal Blade made some damage and he disappeared. Anyway, I was again at FUL YA pit. Last time I was there I had only one corbum, so I thought that ZO KATH RA may replace missing corbums, things will never be the Same (Roxette).

This time not that problem, I did it!

Some strange things however. I did not encounter that Worm Monster flood like last time. I had huge amount of keys for no use (Iron, Golden, Square, Key of B, even RA key). I also did not get many items like last time (Dragon Fang, Dragon Plate, any better shield that Small shield...). This just proves this game to be very non linear. I think I play again and explore some more.

Final character without any equipment:

4 Master Fighter
2 Master Ninja
4 Master Priest
4 Master Wizard

HEA 888
STA 999
MAN 327

STR 64
DEX 52
WIS 84
VIT 70
ATG 60
ATF 66

That was fun, thanks to everyone who helped on previous attempt about 4 years ago 8)
Last edited by HJP on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Congratulations! An epic tale, and some epic stats!
HJP
Apprentice

Post by HJP »

beowuuf wrote:Congratulations! An epic tale, and some epic stats!
Thanks. On previous attempt I just got bored with endless wandering around without knowing where to go first, now I knew that all ways lead to DDD and about only things you absolutely need from JOW's are keys to open spesific doors at DDD. There may be others too, but they just cannot be missed, like Key of B, I got many of them.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Nice write up, HJP, you've given us a great insight into your travels! In the forum, no-one can hear you scream (Alien).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehehe that was cool :D. Yeah, spare keys are something you tend to end up with in great quantities - I usually have half my inventory full of iron keys when I play it :P. Anyway, gratz on pwning CSB :D.
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Congratulations HJP, and thanks for the good read. Should you play some custom dungeons, I would be glad to read similar journey reports from you.
HJP
Apprentice

Post by HJP »

Trantor wrote:Congratulations HJP, and thanks for the good read. Should you play some custom dungeons, I would be glad to read similar journey reports from you.
Thanks all for comments.

What custon dungeon you recommend? There are quite many of them and I do not have good experience on any. I already tried Conflux, pretty nice yes, but are there really 64 maps on it? That may take very long. Too long.

Years ago I also played Dungeon Master Java with one character and hardest skill (even walking trees gave great punishment. My friend tried it and got killed on first fight against them, "this game sucks!"). Good game because not so much wandering around, just action. Maybe some short and hard dungeon would be nice... If anybody have suggestions, feel free to give them.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Some of Zed's earlier ones fit that description for RTC, and sucinum's Imprisoned Again has a large but simple combat element. I feel I'm missing something obvious. Oh, of course, Sophia's Dark Portal is a short but hard and unusual puzzler.
HJP
Apprentice

Post by HJP »

beowuuf wrote:Some of Zed's earlier ones fit that description for RTC, and sucinum's Imprisoned Again has a large but simple combat element. I feel I'm missing something obvious. Oh, of course, Sophia's Dark Portal is a short but hard and unusual puzzler.
OK, I think it is time for ass kicking in Prison again...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yeah, Imprisoned Again probably fits your desires. If you are up for something similar to CSB in terms of difficulty and size, Surgical Strike is good, too, but it only works properly with RTC v0.37. Sukumvit's Labyrinth is also quite small (only 6 levels), but so twisted and packed that it feels a lot larger.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

And don't forget about PaulH's dungeons - Black Flame and Towers of Chaos! :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Black flame is reasonably short, tower of chaos is a greater length
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, sorry, I've overlooked the "short and hard" condition.
HJP
Apprentice

Post by HJP »

That dungeon starts with one Champion, I got another quite soon. Now I'm in Hall of Champions and took take up to four. Of course, I make final decision, but what you recommend? 1, 2, 3 or 4 champions? There always can be some "accidents" so that 1-3 champions just get wasted :mrgreen:
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I always prefer one champion. I then solve the "accidents" with the "load" function. :roll:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

One or two, deoending on the dungeon. Some item heavy or combat heavy ones four just makes it more fun :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I think two champions is optimal. You still have the full melee force and more carrying capacity than a single guy/gal.
HJP
Apprentice

Post by HJP »

So one champion it is. Other three turn into bones.
Trantor wrote:I think two champions is optimal. You still have the full melee force and more carrying capacity than a single guy/gal.
But with two, you have two that consume water and two that require healing. Not to forget that with one it is harder on many situations 8)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

They maybe require healing but they should be able to dish out their own healing. Water can be an issue if you have to carry it, but usually it's the same. I usually play one, but agree waiting for melee recharge and limited magic can be a pain.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

NOTE: Discussion about other custom dungeons should happen in the relevant thread. HJP, I've moved your Imprisoned Again adventure story to the IA thread.

Please remember to post in the correct thread, thanks.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Is there a way to have collapsable spoilers? You just put a walkthrough into the game's download thread!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ooopsie. Good idea, thanks for fixing.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The custome dungeon forum is a nightmare that needs fixing, and I think I'll stop now since I have other things to do today. Maybe next weekend.