Too many keys ?!

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
andyp3001
Novice

Too many keys ?!

Post by andyp3001 »

Greetings. I have just started playing CSB on my PC (courtesy of RTC) 17 years after first completing it on the Atari ST. I have just completed the KU and ROS paths (got both corbums, but saving them until the end) and I am a tad concerned. I have 15 keys unused! They are:
2 ONYX
2 GOLD
1 SAPPHIRE
3 Square Keys
2 Keys of B
5 Iron Keys (I think the Iron key quantity is normal).

Am I missing something out, or have I just got lucky not having to use them to get out of trouble? I have visited as many places as possible on the paths, so I am a bit puzzled.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I usually finish with a pile of keys. In fact,
several piles. Usually one large pile of just
Iron Keys.

You will find some are useful after the DDD
area. Many are not essential. The Keys of B
can make life a lot easier on the Pit Level.
andyp3001
Novice

Post by andyp3001 »

Thanks, Paul. I have checked with the encyclopedia walkthrough of the Ku and Ros ways, and I haven't missed much (if anything). It just seems a bit odd that seemingly "valuable" keys like the Onyx and Sapphire ones are left unused on those paths, including on their respective DDD's!
b1llygo4t
Apprentice

Re: Too many keys ?!

Post by b1llygo4t »

sorry to revive a dead post.

i just finished the 1st half of the 4 ways and i have 4 chests full of keys! how many iron keys, square keys, b keys and gold keys do you actually use? i know the lockpicks throw the number off.

do all the gor coins have a purpose or are there some left over?

what is the magnifying glass and the mirror of dawn for?
potion? what potion?
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

sorry to revive a dead post.
There's actually nothing to apologize for here, we prefer to revive an older but relevant topic then to start a new one on the same thing as is covered in an existing topic, even if it is years old.

Now to answer your questions as best I can (although it's been a while since I played CSB so my memory may be a little fuzzy on some things):
i just finished the 1st half of the 4 ways and i have 4 chests full of keys! how many iron keys, square keys, b keys and gold keys do you actually use? i know the lockpicks throw the number off.
I think if you are using the lock picks you may have some left over, I don't remember the exact numbers due to the aforementioned long time since playing csb.
do all the gor coins have a purpose or are there some left over?
I kind of remember using most if not all of them.
Spoiler
There's actually a Viper Demon busting trap you can set on the FulYa pit level that uses up a lot of go coins and some of those extra keys, once set it'll send fireballs through that level that will roast any VD's thinking they'll roast you with one of their fireballs. :twisted: Of course, if you're careless those same fireballs will roast you too!
what is the magnifying glass and the mirror of dawn for?
I have absolutely no idea. I don't remember actually using them for anything in csb. I do remember the mirror being used to open an area up in the choose your fate area and to solve one of the riddle room riddles in DM, and the magnifier also solves a riddle on one of the lower levels also in DM, but I can't think of anything in csb. Then again, it's been a long time since I played csb so I may simply have forgotten what they're used for.

I hope my answers were helpful in some way.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Don't worry if you have a lot of spare keys in CSB - there are loads, especially iron ones, I tend to find. Even more so if you use the lockpicks, though there are some points where you should actually use a key (for example, at one lock you get blasted by a rather large fireball if you use the lockpicks, whereas the key just opens the door).
Gor coins can be used at the bit SU has described, but there's also a vending machine just downstairs from the DDD (opened by erm, the sapphire key, or the turquoise one, I can't remember) which can give you some random stuff (some of it crappy junk, a few items actually useful).
As for the mirror and magnifying glass, yeah I can remember their uses in DM, but not in CSB. Is "Enlarge my view" in CSB or is that the bit on Level 10 of DM? The only bit I can remember in CSB where you need to hold anything up to an eye is "Prove you are a wizard", which requires neither of these items.
Apprentice

Post by b1llygo4t »

im at a loss as to the mirror and the magnifier. i even studied the maps on the wiki. the mirror
Spoiler
triggers one of the tellies in the surrendering vexerx puzzle
but thats it. the lens though... wtf. maybe a glitch carried over from DM? cant anything trigger the eye in the first game? i dont remember either items with rtc or having as many keys..

im just now getting to that trap you blacked out. i still have like 8 coins. i emptied out the vending machine at the ddd and i got everything at the start but the boxes.

ha i was 6 when this game came out! such a blast! its like they give you more than enough keys but not enough hints. i think i cheated myself by looking at the maps and neglecting the oracle. the oracle should be a scroll..
potion? what potion?
b1llygo4t
Apprentice

Post by b1llygo4t »

there does seem to be an eye in csb that can be triggered by any item. the mirror must just be junk for the puzzle trigger..
potion? what potion?
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Don't worry if you have a lot of spare keys in CSB - there are loads, especially iron ones, I tend to find. Even more so if you use the lockpicks, though there are some points where you should actually use a key (for example, at one lock you get blasted by a rather large fireball if you use the lockpicks, whereas the key just opens the door).
... and that's not the only lock pick trap. there's another door that, when you use the lockpicks they open up a pit under the party and drop you off in the prison (I guess that's the price you pay for trying to be a thief :P ).
Ameena wrote:As for the mirror and magnifying glass, yeah I can remember their uses in DM, but not in CSB. Is "Enlarge my view" in CSB or is that the bit on Level 10 of DM?
That's in DM, on the level with the water elementals.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh yeah, it opens "Zooooom", doesn't it?
Master Superior

No, actually the zoom room is 1 level up from the magnifier eye, on the level with the scorpions.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

drop you in the prison ( the price for being a thief)
Clever! I never associated the lockpicks and
the prison in that way.

Every year I learn new things about CSB.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Re:

Post by MasterWuuf »

Paul Stevens wrote:I usually finish with a pile of keys. In fact,
several piles. Usually one large pile of just
Iron Keys.

You will find some are useful after the DDD
area. Many are not essential. The Keys of B
can make life a lot easier on the Pit Level.
I don't think I used any of the keys of B, this last time.
Pit Level? There are so many pits I don't recall which level that might be.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Pit Level? I don't recall which level that might be
Nor do I ;-)

The best I can say is that I must have meant
'Ful Ya Pit' level.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Paul Stevens wrote:Clever! I never associated the lockpicks and
the prison in that way.

Every year I learn new things about CSB.
Always happy to help.
Paul Stevens wrote:
Pit Level? I don't recall which level that might be
Nor do I ;-)

The best I can say is that I must have meant
'Ful Ya Pit' level.
That's the only one I can think of that would require capitalization. Although there are so many levels filled with a multitude of pits that referring to any other level then the FulYa Pit Level as "the Pit Level" is shear futility.