Quite Stuck

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lifepath
Novice

Quite Stuck

Post by Lifepath »

Hello dear fellows !

I am quite stuck. I have gone through all four ways several times.

I have the four keys of B
I can't really manage to go through the DDD
I am just running around the dungeon, finding a fake wall here a button there, leaving bits of sanity at every corner

Aaaaaaaah

Also I have four Gor Coins but the niche distributing items seems to have run out of things. Is there any use for the remaining gor coins ? (I didn't use them for the initial room)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Here is a (very!) rough outline of the first half of the CSB dungeon...

I imagine you've found the Junction of the Ways by now - with the four paths of Ku, Ros, Dain, and Neta. Each of those four paths contains a particular key hidden somewhere (Ku = Solid, Ros = Emerald, Dain = Ruby, Neta = erm...Turquoise I think) which you need to find. Each path also links up to the DDD. Through the DDD are four doors which take those four keys - they are like "part two" of each path. So if you don't have any/all of those four keys yet, it would be a good idea to poke around some more in the first half of the four paths. The DDD is a bit of a pain, granted, but I'm sure you'll get through it ;).
And if you need any more detailed help than that, please ask of course :).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Stop! Yes, that's it, stop running about.

Stay calm. Take stock of where you are. Check your possessions. Four keys of B aren't that useful actually. You need four other more colourful keys to get through the DDD.

Have you got these?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That is your problem - if you cannot navigate through the DDD to the continuation of the paths then you won't be able to progress. You need to solve the four methods of passing through the DDD - I seem to recall Ku and Neta being the easiest to do
Lifepath
Novice

Post by Lifepath »

Hey that's quick answers :)

So yes I do have those keys.
I think I already used the solid Key (probably to go to the dead end and then through the dragon's den wich got me the power graves.

I have the other keys
Saphire, Ruby, Emerald, turquoise and even a Ra Key.

I think it is through DDD that i am stuck. there are pits i don't manage to close. I tried hurling items and spells but nothing seems to work.

Right now i am trying the "alternate" entrances of the different passes with droping items on the floor to know where the inivisble teleporter is. I don't really get how this works though

Edit : I just got my first Korbum ging through the Ku path till the end. I hadn't gotten through the fake walls at the dragon den. I went back there found some new dragon (do they respawn ?) I calmed him with my cross of neta and he disapeared (in the fake wall) so now i also got the first piece of the dragon armor, fits Hissa perfectly :D

Cool Ku led me through Neta now :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There are other ways but pressure pads to open and close the pits, and sometimes you need a critter to open them for you, or need to find a way around!

Glad you are figuring it out!
Lifepath
Novice

Post by Lifepath »

I got a second corbum (can already throw them in the ful ya pit i guess)

I am the level with all the demons and Lord Chaos in person.
I started a fireball dispenser but if it kill critters it sure also killed my guys !!!
What is it's usefulness ?

I don't really get the point of this level. I don't know where to search for the last two passways for the last two korbums...

What is really great In this game is you search search search and always end up finding.

I am not sure many of the new generation would keep searching like we do
(i saw you were talking about younger kids on another thread)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That level with chaos is the final level, you don't really wanna play aroudn there without all the corbums.

The fireball dispenser is part of a giant killing demon aid, but you need to set it up correctly then get out of the way :D

And I hadn't appreciated the above three answers were a triple post! :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, what Beo said, you need to find a way back to the DDD to get from there to the corbums for each Way... After you've opened up each special key door on the DDD, the Corbums are between those doors and the top level.
Lifepath
Novice

Post by Lifepath »

Are all the corbums in the four sides of that same pillar ?

I think there is one quite simple trick that i havent't managed in the DDD

I have deactivated the blue particles next to the trust me enter the pit and the disapearing wall but it does no good.

There is a pit with a teleporter where things i throw just go back and forth and don't end up anywhere. I guess this is where i should go but i don't manage to find out what to do yet.

Thanks for any hint

Edit :
I managed to play games with the demon to cross one of the pits reaching value for valuables but i have no X key
and no idea where the things disappear when i "offer" them

Devil devil dungeon !!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yes, the four corbums are on each side of the same pillar. You seem to be missing the corbums from DAIN and ROS. The "value for valuables" part is the way to continue on DAIN. Just drop many, MANY items on the floor until a wall opens (don't worry, you will get your items back behind that wall).

Moving along on ROS in the DDD is trickier. In the area where the demons are regenerating, there is a pit that blocks the way to a short path with a teleporter behind. Closing that pit is THE legendary puzzle of CSB, and I'm not sure I understood it entirely myself. There is a place below the DDD with regenerating skeletons that have to be teleported behind a portcullis (you have to cross a path with some hellhounds to get there). Teleporting a skeleton behind that gate is necessary on both NETA (where the skeleton gets killed by lightning bolts) and ROS (where you are supposed to kill the skeleton by throwing rocks, darts and stuff through the gate). If the gate opens, show an item to the magic eye there - the pit in question should close then.

Good luck, you are not far from the end! :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

ROS is also evil in that, if memory serves, there is a wall crack button you need t press - it is on the edge of the DDD, in a recess leading back to the DDD which is blocked by a pit. You need to trigger it outside the DDD, most likely during the first part of Ros
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

The DDD area is extremely complex.
I cannot imagine how anyone would
have the patience to solve it without
help. The most efficient way to enter
ROS involves doing things in the correct
order on several levels and in several
areas. Nobody could ever discover all
the secrets by simply exploring the
dungeon. As a result, it appears to
do random things because you cannot
possibly associate all the various
actions taken hours ago with the
current state of the dungeon. None
of those steps that you need to take
has any visible trigger or apparent
result. We could find a thread that
discusses this at length if need be.

Other pieces of DDD cannot compete with
the ROS pit but they are difficult
puzzles. One place, for example, I found
that walking backward helped me. Not
too obvious at first.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think you can also "cheat" to get two of the Corbums. I think it's Ros and Dain actually - from one side of the Corbum pillar (I forget which or the two it is...), you can walk around to another side and yoink that Corbum too (I think you step across a fake pit or something, can't remember), so you don't have to do that path's "part 2" section :twisted:.

Re: Quite Stuck

Post by Lifepath »

Thanks a lot for those informations, I'll let you know about my advancement.

But already I want to play again with this much vaster knowledge of the game I have now.

Edit the Dain Corbum was really easy...

I find it really cruel to realize the corbums are right above your head when you start the game !

News : I don't know how but the pit to reach ROS is closed !!!
I'm at that place just like zoooooom in DM
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Lifepath wrote:I don't know how but the pit to reach ROS is closed
Congratulations. Good luck escaping the zooms.
All of this is VERY difficult when you don't know
what is happening and where to go.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Lifepath wrote:Hello dear fellows !

I am quite stuck. I have gone through all four ways several times.

I have the four keys of B
I can't really manage to go through the DDD
I am just running around the dungeon, finding a fake wall here a button there, leaving bits of sanity at every corner

Aaaaaaaah

Also I have four Gor Coins but the niche distributing items seems to have run out of things. Is there any use for the remaining gor coins ? (I didn't use them for the initial room)
Just noticed this thread. This must be the exact spot in which I found myself, when I gave up on CSB,
back in the dark ages (when it first came out).
"Wuuf's big brother"
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Now the DDD area seems less difficult.
I think perhaps the difficulty lies mostly
in the 'Density' of puzzles. You cannot
travel but two or three tiles without
having to overcome some non-obvious
mechanism. And there is no way to know
what order to try things. And in many
cases puzzles get solved and you don't
know how they got solved. Beautiful
work.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Ha! I've been wandering around the various paths for hours, if you count all the 20-minute periods of time I've stopped to 'carry on' lately.
I keep finding stuff but can't seem to find my way back to the DDD area. :lol:

And I kept ending up there, earlier, when I was trying anything but to get there. :roll:

Great game. Not on the level of Conflux, to be sure, but if the minutes spent on this game were dollars...I'd be a 'thousandaire' by now.
"Wuuf's big brother"
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Postby Ameena » 29-Jan-09 20:20
I think you can also "cheat" to get two of the Corbums. I think it's Ros and Dain actually - from one side of the Corbum pillar (I forget which or the two it is...), you can walk around to another side and yoink that Corbum too (I think you step across a fake pit or something, can't remember), so you don't have to do that path's "part 2" section :twisted:.
+1
I checked on the maps, I made playing CSB on a ATARI ST, a very long time ago.
At the Corbum pillar, I had found a path from ROS to the KU corbum. I see: speed, marked on that path.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I've been trying to spend some time (busy, so not enough), hoping to get through CSB.
I used the SOLID KEY on the first path. I was able to finish the KU corbum.
I have a second corbum (I used the RUBY KEY) in hand but must be making some wrong turns.

Hmm, I think the CSB-makers should have placed a 'Welcome Home' sign above the DDD sign. :lol:
I think I'm wearing a groove into that section of floor from my many returns there.

I find myself shaking my head in amazement, at times.
How on earth did I manage to solve this thing on my initial attemp, back on my Atari ST, with no help of any kind?
As I recall, it didn't even take that long.
(Vis: Wuuf, with long and unkempt (graying) hair, wandering the corridors...saying to himself(herself), "This area, for some odd reason, looks VERY familiar.")

Wish I had one of those 'blasters' from M&M7. I'd love to try one out on a couple of the creatures. (Dragons BEWARE!)
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I beleive there is a flaming elemental you need to kill to reveal the DAIN path (that's ruby key, I beleive)

You might need to open that way by first killing a demon behind a door...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yes, Ruby key is Dain. Can't remember anything much about that section though :(.
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

there's also a pit that you need to cross that can only be crossed by luring(scaring) a demon onto a constant pressure trigger and freezing it there to get across. I think that pit needs to be crossed to access at least 2 paths.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I use rockpiles to close that pit. They're slow and don't immediately move from the pressure pad. Just remember to leave an object on the floor on the other side of the pit.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

lol, yeah, I fell into that trap a few times -- not a pretty sight. and I forgot about the rock piles. they do stay on for longer, but it takes a ton of patience to wait for them to SSSSSS------LLLLLLL------OOOOOO-------WWWWWWW--------LLLLLLL------YYYYYYYY slither onto the trigger. :P did I mention slowly? :P

B)
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Slow...that's true, but I'm a collector, so I try not to use any precious...I mean, blue/green box/eye of time, and, like you did point out, you do have to go this way multiple times... :-)

Actually, if you want to motivate them without attacking, move in front of the rockpile and move into them, then move away. They will soon follow you. Sort of like a game of tag.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Seriously Unserious wrote:there's also a pit that you need to cross that can only be crossed by luring(scaring) a demon onto a constant pressure trigger and freezing it there to get across. I think that pit needs to be crossed to access at least 2 paths.
I just stand with my back to that pit, wait for one of the fire demons to step on the pressure plate, then take two quick steps backward.
It almost always works, plus I don't have to waste any 'freeze time' items.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

although it requires extreme patience, now that phoenix mentioned it, I now remember that I usually used rockpiles, mostly by standing in front of them and scaring them with a war cry/horn of fear until one of them retreats onto the pit closing pressure plate, then dash across the pit before the rock pile can slowly move off the pressure plate. It does require patience though, waiting for the slowest creature in the game to move, but once on the trigger, that slowness becomes an advantage at least. But if a viper demon's all I have, then it may be wise to just go ahead and use a freeze life and be sure you aren't dropped into something potentially nasty and then have to go through it all over again.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

One minor point - they're not the slowest creature in the game. That's Stone Giants ;).