Playing CSB again

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: Playing CSB again

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Poison which you can't heal, due to a complete lack of flasks to cast the poison cure into.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

It's been awhile since I actually tried it, yet it seems you can wait the poison out, if you're not poisoned enough to die while sleeping.
Is that the case?
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed, I forget if there is a really strong poison that cannot be slept off, but rock monsters poison is weak enough to get passed.

Assuming you don't get so highliy poisoned that the damage you take is greater than the damage you recover, of course!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I think all poison can be slept off, unless the poison kills your character before recovering from it. The rock pile's poison is among the weakest in the game, worm poison is a bit stronger, and I think the slime devils and coutles have among the strongest poison in the game, aside from accidentally hitting yourself with a mon level poison blob that is. Of course, the most likely area for that to happen is in the "no fireballs" area in the ku way.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Finally figured which of the Corbums I had missed.
I still find it sad, finishing such a challenge only to see such a short 'win' dialogue for the time invested.

I remember the 'ending' for one of the DM formats showing the firestaff thrown into the mountain and destroyed.
Was that the DM-for-PC that I remember?
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, the PC version of the game has the video

Sadly, tyou just get the text for CSB as it never reached PC until the clones. Still, it's the journey not th edestination - congratulations!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I remember the Amiga version of CSB had a short animation showing the outside of Mt. Anias and balance being restored to the land. I'm not sure but the mountain may have even erupted before the land turned green with plants and life again.

To see this you might have to play the Amiga version on WinUAE.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Probably so few people got to see the ending that it was not worth spending time on.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Are you implying that CSB was too hard, there OB? :P
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yes I am! :P I wonder how many people finished it in the pre-internet age? I imagine a very small percentage of those who bought it.

Although part of the problem was in my head. I did not fully understand what was happening, and kept thinking that I had done something wrong. For instance I got as far as one of the corbums
Spoiler
that had an illusionary pit in front of it
. When I could not close that pit I assumed one of the many buttons I had pressed on the way there had been wrong, and that there was no way I would ever figure it out. And then I gave up that playthrough.

If there had been someone sitting behind me telling me to keep going, and that there was a solution to everything there I possibly would have managed it.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

oh_brother wrote:Probably so few people got to see the ending that it was not worth spending time on.
I finished it back then. I've mentioned it before, but it actually seemed easy back then.
I still remember my initial disappointment at the final 'win' scene the first time.

Ah, that Atari colored monitor. Now that was a good investment.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I also finished it back then on my atari 1040 ST. I don't know if I found everything, but I was able to fiinsh the game mutliple times. I also remember getting my first SCSI drive for the ST. It had a a whole 20MB of disk space!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Oh yes...*ahem*....I finished it too, of course...I..I just forgot about that. Coming back to me now though. Yep. Definitely finished it back in the day.

*Feels quite foolish as it seems everyone except him finished*
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

oh_brother wrote:Yes I am! :P I wonder how many people finished it in the pre-internet age? I imagine a very small percentage of those who bought it.

Although part of the problem was in my head. I did not fully understand what was happening, and kept thinking that I had done something wrong. For instance I got as far as one of the corbums
Spoiler
that had an illusionary pit in front of it
. When I could not close that pit I assumed one of the many buttons I had pressed on the way there had been wrong, and that there was no way I would ever figure it out. And then I gave up that playthrough.

If there had been someone sitting behind me telling me to keep going, and that there was a solution to everything there I possibly would have managed it.
:lol:
Tell you what OB, how about I create the special, very easy OB's Special dungeon. you take 1 step forward and hit the winner's tile and get some message telling you how impressive a win that was... or would that still be too hard for you? :P

Actually those illusionary pits did throw me for a loop as well, when I first came across 1, I must have spent an hour looking for a way to close it. I think I eventually decided to try climbing down it to see if there was a way to shut it from below and ended up standing on top of it! :shock: I then realized what a sick :evil: :twisted: bast... *er you know the rest* the developers had made Lord Chaos to be with fake pits, fake walls and fake floors (the pits with only a faint dashed line around them). :idea: I then developed a strategy of going into the corbum area with some waster item like a rock or something that I could place on top of pits. If the item falls though the pit's real, if it floats in mid air then it's fake. That put LC's fake pits trick to bed for good. :wink: :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

With something like RTC or DSB your rock trick could be circumvented... :) Actually, maybe the switch over would be fast enough to do it with a normal pit and weight counters. Though a boots of speed parts can sometime beat the speed of pit triggers
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

What I'd do to circumvent it would be to place the fake pit normally, with a real pit that's inactive and have a trigger operated by items with "constant pressure" set to true and whenever the party places any item the fake pit gets replaced with a real pit, the item falls through and then the real pit gets swapped back to the fake pit again. If the party, or a monster steps onto the fake pit, it remains fake and monsters and the party can walk over it safely but would have no way of knowing until you take a leap of faith. Of course, setting up the trick like that would be :twisted: .
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That effect might be spotted depending on if there's a temporary delay between the landing and the pit drop. I'd probably go the other way and have the constant weight be party activated to keep the real pit open.

Either way, indeed the leap of faith would be a fun way to metagame force the player to trust the puzzle :D
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Speaking of DM/CSB metagaming, after completing both DM and CSB several times, I started trying to complete the game with various constraints to increase the difficulty and game play. For example, try to collect one of every type of object and weapon, try to complete the game without eating any food execpt worm rounds and screamer slices, complete the game without useing any boxes/eye of times, etc... If I was to try again now, I'd have to try completing the game with one or two champions, as I've always played DM/CSB a with full party. Has anyone else done anything similar?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I've played with one character. Not really imposed any other restraints.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I never use any time-freeze stuff anyway (and never have done, as far as I can remember), and these days I also tend to always play with only two characters. I don't really see it as a restraint, more as a more practical way of doing things. Yes you have less carrying capacity and can't lob off four spells in quick succesion, but you have the capability of dodging spells and only have two people to worry about levelling up - you're splitting the exp between half the normal number of people which means they get more each :).
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Play CSB with CSBwin and accomplish the "Collect
Everyting and Kill Everything" quest.

You will learn some new things when yo do this.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Phoenix wrote:Speaking of DM/CSB metagaming, after completing both DM and CSB several times, I started trying to complete the game with various constraints to increase the difficulty and game play. For example, try to collect one of every type of object and weapon, try to complete the game without eating any food execpt worm rounds and screamer slices, complete the game without useing any boxes/eye of times, etc... If I was to try again now, I'd have to try completing the game with one or two champions, as I've always played DM/CSB a with full party. Has anyone else done anything similar?
I think there is a member of this forum who usually only uses 1 character in any dungeon he plays, I've done this a couple of times, mainly because this restriction was imposed on my by the dungeon's creator. I personally prefer to use 4 champions as seeing them develop is one of the things that keeps my coming back to the DM games.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Heh, I know I did this in my dungeon, but I did also have a way to get the rest of the champions that was quite easy.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Since I tried it the first time (in DM), I've stuck with two characters in CSB.
I've enjoyed using only one character in DM, except for that one time I took the guy with the Cloak of Night along,
reincarnated as Beowuuf. :lol:

Hey, I had to take someone along to carry stuff. :shock:
Spoiler
Oops, wrong thread for 'pot shots' at friends.
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

:p
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

beowuuf wrote::p
I see... so this is how you created your sea of posts, is it? Image :P
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Pretty much!

I like to think it's occasionally balanced by occasional long rambing post
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

:lol:

*(follows beo's example) :P
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

beowuuf wrote:Pretty much!

I like to think it's occasionally balanced by occasional long rambing post
I don't remember rambling. However, it does seem that some of your posts have been more than one line long. 8)
Not mine. NEVER mine...of course.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

:shock: beo's actually posted something longer then 1 line???!!! :shock:
and MW, you just exceeded 1 line on that last post so never say never. :P

:P :P :P