Right, I'm going to finally beat this bloody game!

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Twiggy
Craftsman

Re: Right, I'm going to finally beat this bloody game!

Post by Twiggy »

Ameena wrote:so technically its plural could be whatever the hell we want it to be...could be "Corbeez" or anything ;)
Right, Corbunks it is! :D
(unless you have really high fire resist ;)).
Apparently Mophus does not have a high fire resist lol. I dragged him back to a set of stairs so if I took a beating (which I did), I could sleep it off. I hit the wrong button and turned into a wall as I fired, so we ate that one and then Mongor spat one at us...Mophus went squish hehe. He's the only one to kark it so far, so that's alright. I was pretty lucky though when I killed him. They were all starving and low on health, so I couldn't sleep. Chucked a Ful bomb at him and ran up stairs. When I came back down there was steaks :D :D - As a side note I like how he drops a set of armour and an axe...I used to like thinking when I was younger that he ate a person whole and that's why all the stuff was in him.

Also I've noticed I'm playing this game a lot differently to how I usually do. Usually it's guys with swords up front, mages at back with bows/throwing weapons. This time I've had Mophus using the claw staff to Brandish/Confuse enemies...it has made such a massive difference. I've generally always been of the mindset (In all games, not just this) that having something that makes enemies run away/knockback is useless, because then I have to chase them and sometimes it can lead to worse situations. I guess I never thought of boxing in an enemy and scaring him then beating the suitcase out of him! It's also great for using on Scorpions and other big things that bite harder :)
So I'm doing Neta second so I could get some more staves for Gothmog to play with :)
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I would say "We have now the four corba! let's throw them into the ful ya pit!"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heh, Twiggy - just use the step dance to gank stuff like Dragons - they're piss-easy if you do, and it doesn't matter how littel hp you have when you start the battle - you won't get hit unless you move far too slowly ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Never fotget, if the dragons are trapped in any way, multiple poison clouds are pretty effective way to gank them too :D

And that's cool when a game forces you to learn new tricks. It's liek you gain a level!
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

Heh Twiggy has just gained a life level :)

What is the dragon thing you guys keep talking about? I've heard it brought up but not actuallly seen what it is.

Oh and I just got lockpicks! First time ever I've got them. Never got them (Or skeleton key) in any other game i've played. So hooray!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Dragon thing? You should have faced multiple dragons for the power towers in KU, and there are some in ROS. And, of course, the main dragon in KU too :)
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

Yeah I tend to just stand and deliver or find stairs.

And YAY! Skeleton key!!
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

Random question. Does the rabbits foot do anything?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Increases a hidden 'luck' stat by 10. Cursed items reduce it. Oh, and the skeleton key is cool in this game. Unless you use it on chaos's level, it isn't consumed! i forget which locks the picks open, i think it saves you some iron keys :)
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

Need to have it in your spare "paw" or just in the pack?

I've gotten the Neta Corbum and turned on the weapon upstairs, see if I can't clear out some space up there. Also managed to completely luck out and kill a Demon that had the Master Key.

I'm currently in the Ros final leg, more specifically the zoom area. I've killed the single Demon which leads to the Corbum, but I can't seem to get on the 2nd set of transporters that lead you to the two demons guarding the rope and random object up there.

Still been having odd things with the random object generator. Places where it's supposed to have an extra object doesn't, and others that shouldn't, do. Oh well, I'ma gettin all the goodies :D

Had another whoops incident...tried forcing the lockpicks down a gold key lock a few times and got barrelled pretty badly by a launcher...everyone died so had quite a hike to get them back to life...it's a real pain the the can giving 3 people back their belongings hehe
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol...if anyone ever dies in my party I just reload ;). And yes, some locks are "booby-trapped" to blap you if you use the lockpicks. I think most of the iron locks are safe, though. But you just end up with so many bloody iron keys, it's probably worth using them just to free up some inventory space ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The worst trap is the 'dead end' trap, where you need to escape from prison :)

The paw should work in the backpack, no problems.

The random object distributor is a set of shooters, and tw osets of gigglers. Therefore, it is very possible to find items in weird places.

Don't recall the end of the ROS area I'm afraid.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

All I can remember is it involves going up and down a bunch of pits (some of which, I think, are fake, or maybe I'm getting confuzzled with Dain or something). I also remember that it isn't necessary to do one of the four "part-two" routes, since you can sneak around the side of the Corbum Pillar (via a fake pit) to yoink that path's Corbum. I think it's Dain's which you can reach from Ros or something...can't remember.
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

The top area where creature 19 and 20 are. I've killed 19, but can't seem to get onto the series on the side of 20
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, can't remember exactly. I would suspect a combination of hitting a button at the correct time, or finding a way to navigate pits. Have you dropped down the pit after catching t the button in that dead end already?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah...actually, the zoom takes you around both loops, but there is a jump that might disorient you. You might find spinning on the spot will help you see around you. You can hit the creature at 20 just after an alcover with four slayers in it, you just need to step sideways before turnign the corner.
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

See I don't think I'm actually going on that part at all. I get up to the last square before 19 and then I seem to jump back to the ones near fake walls. I've faced the direction of the slayer alcove/rope door and I just don't go up there ><
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I was going to annotate the map to show the direction of travel, and just realised the map already does. So I've enlarged the section so you can get a feel for it. CSB's mechanics aren't complex enough for a teleporter to send you in two different directions, so the direction of travel is correct. Be aware the teleporters could be turning you around. You should leave 19 and instantly be in line for jumping off directly towards the demons at 20.

zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

good luck! the zoom areas can be frustrating ;)
But hey, you do not have to do anything to move, after all that is something.
'Pits come in as a close second..

that is a nice graphic btw.
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

I might try spinning around on the spot a bit and see if that helps at all - but I'll have to wait until I go back up that way now. I went past it to get the Corbum for Ros, but I double tapped the step button going around the pits and wound up back in the start room, so I'm going through Dain now to get the last key I need.
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

Haven't really been able to play much the last few days with work, but I went through tonight and got the Ruby key from Dain. I didn't actually have any trouble with it and to be honest, was the easiest of the 4 ways that i've gone. I went around the back area of the big pit/snake room first up and drew out a lot of Snakes straight up and I think that made a world of difference. Didn't get harassed too badly. And I didn't have as much trouble with the Rives/Water as I expected either - but then maybe because I'm stronger it helped. I dunno. That was actually the first time I've ever gotten the Ruby key I think.

Ah well now it's time for the DDD, but that's a quest for tomorrow ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe we've built it up too much. It just seemed the least obvious with certain rooms like the coatyl room. Anyway, cool - onwards and upwards!