Something new...

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Twiggy
Craftsman

Something new...

Post by Twiggy »

Was doing the Ros path, fell down a pit and landed in the ways... And there was a worm sitting there waiting for me :/ Never seen that before
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Something new...

Post by beowuuf »

Was this under RTC? Some critters can survive in places they shouldn't. If one of the hidden teleporters on the bottom floor was set to teleport anything, instead of just teleport the party, then a stray worm could get to the junction that way. Evil!
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

Yep am playing under RTC. That would explain why i wasn't finding any on level 1... So i guess i can expect more surprises. Awesome lol
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Indeed I met worms at the 4 ways junction with RTC. I never had any creature there with the original ATARI CSB.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

Does RTC scale the power of fireballs from opposition? I've been feeling like i've been coping a fair whack from them so far but i can't get through the zoom area in ROS at the moment. Keep getting drilled by the demons

Also another new thing. I restarted a game on csbwin, in supplies for the quick i was at the pillar with the teowand. Didn't want it so i threw it down a pit and then when i went around the corner it was in the pillar where the claw bow was
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, RTC does seem to have an issue with spells being a lot stronger than in the original - Beholders in DM are deadly! And also it takes stronger Fireballs to take out Munchers in CSB - back on the Atari version, a single Lo-level Fireball was enough (as it is for Wasps in DM...can't remember whether they need more hits in RTC as well). I gave up on one run-through of DM under RTC because I got stuck at the start of Level 10 (at the "...Deceiver, the Snake" part) because I'd ue all my mana blasting the Beholders and have to retreat for a rest...after which I'd found that they'd all respawned (probably stepping on one of the squares was causing that to happen) so I couldn't get anywhere.
Need to do a full run-through in CSBWin for the proper old-school experience...I think I started one but got as far as Level Three before being distracted by other games and stuff ;).
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

some monsters do seem to be more powerful in RTC then in the original game, but since the txt files are included it is possible to edit them down to the DM/CSB original strength and recompile the dungeon if you want to do so. ;)

for the CSB dungeon, if you have some teleporters set to teleport anything, again it is possible to fix this and recompile the dungeon, by setting the offending teleporters to teleport only the party, as the txt file is included, which can be loaded into RTCEditor and modified in any way you want.

As for getting fried by the demons in the zoom area of the Ros path, I'd recommend some good, strong fireshield spells, enough of them can leave you totally immune to the demon's fireballs (at least I remember doing this in the Amiga version).