First time playing CSB

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Wizard Zedd
Expert

First time playing CSB

Post by Wizard Zedd »

As some of you know I was very new to the world of DM and through much time (and a little help from my friends here) finally finished it :D

I started playing CSB a while back and remember people telling me how confusing it is to navigate through - well I now know you were not kidding! I continually find myself lost (which isn't hard considering I am directionally challenged on a good day). I think this one is going to be very tough for me. I am not even sure how I will describe where I am stuck as I have no idea which level I am on after being transported, falling through pits etc...

Stay tuned - I WILL need help...if I can figure out how to ask for it :)
terkio
Mon Master

Re: First time playing CSB

Post by terkio »

It will be hell.
Try to figure some ovreall view of the dungeon.
There are 4 signs Ku Ros Dain and Neta, you' ll see a place over and over again.
You'll certainly run in circles, visiting the same places over and over again.
There is some logic in this chaos.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe don't worry about getting lost - it will happen, as you've discovered, and we're all used to it :). If you get stuck somewhere, just try and describe what's in the area (any doors, keyholds, types of monster, etc) and I'm sure there'll be someone who can narrow it down for you :). If you find yourself with no clue as to what you're supposed to be doing or where you need to go or what you need to find, we can provide spoiler-tagged descriptions of what the dungeon is about or something :).
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Ameena wrote: If you find yourself with no clue as to what you're supposed to be doing or where you need to go or what you need to find, we can provide spoiler-tagged descriptions of what the dungeon is about or something :).
See the "Hint oracle" too. It is in CSB to help you at specific locations.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Dear, oh dear, another lost soul... :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I was one of those that bought CSB on release, and didn't finish it at that time. :oops:
I only completed it years later... Don't worry! It will start to make sense as you progress.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Thanks everyone for the encouragement...will keep you posted on my progress. Hope to find a little time this week to play.
awakeningcry
Neophyte

Post by awakeningcry »

I know it's cheating, but there IS a walkthrough for CSB. I find the game a challenge even when I'm following it.
Alex, Nabi, Mophus, Syra
All as imported into CSB: LO Master Fighter, Artisan Ninja, UM Master Priest, UM Master Wizard
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, my dad and I somehow finished it with absolutely no guides or outside help at all the first time around (I was probably about seven or eight years old at the time :D), then on a replay much later I found a strategy guide with maps and everything (this was around 2003, when I first thought of searching for a playable version for the PC and found RTC and the Encyclopaedia)...but thinking about it, I sort of know the dungeon moderately well enough now that I don't really need to use the guide, except maybe to tell me which pits I need to use in order to get the Ros corbum (and sneak around and grab the Dain one :twisted:).