How to kill the end boss...

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Simon

How to kill the end boss...

Post by Simon »

Yup, its been posted before. I've seen people say 'Surround him by defense minions' , but I got to the end of the game so fast that my characters could only just manage level 3 defense minions (if they were lucky).

I found the best way to defeat him is make sure you have the following:

2 Emerald Orbs (One can be bought from the magic shopkeeper, one is found next to the poison man near the dungeon where you free the grey men)

The Numen Staff (Found near the start of the dungeon)

2+ Vorax's (Bought from the weapon store beyond the Axe Men)

As many Defense Minion / Attack Minions as you can find ( box form, which saves mana and guarantees they will be cast - you can get some from the magic shop keeper I believe, but I managed to do it with just one defense & one attack)

Make sure your fighters have an array of vorax's / blue steeles (Vorax is the weapon of choice). It is virtually impossible to hit the end guy with fireballs or other projectile spells because of the reflection shield he casts. However, if you cast one of your defense minions next to him, he will begin attacking it. While he is occupied, stand behind him and blast hell out of him with the numen staff. You may be able to use other things such as storm rings, ful bombs, or whatever, but the numen staff is my preferred method.

Because I got to the end so quickly, it meant my party had low hp, so the best thing I found to do was use the 'Heal' on the emerald staff to make sure my characters hp remained high. I wasn't bothered if the mages of my party died, it is important to keep the fighters alive after you've emptied as many spells onto him as you can. His attack minions really kicked my ass if I stood still for even a few seconds, and I found that using the 5th level poison spell on the emerald staves would actually kill an attack minion in one hit (or after a quick bash with the axe).

After you've emptied your numen staff on him, and bashed him several times with the vorax's, you'll find that he starts running a way more often. The techshield I found was still useful for deflecting some of his spells, and its important to stay away from the edge of the blue stuff because he will push you off. Keep in his face, blocking his path and making him run in circles while bashing him to pieces, otherwise he will escape.

Hopefully doing the above will allow you to banish him back to whence he came, and victory will be yours.

I'm posting this because I always had great trouble trying to finish him off.
sucinum
Pal Master

Re: How to kill the end boss...

Post by sucinum »

i dont use the numen staff, but i use mon fireball, for the reason, that 2 of the 3 numenfireballs are mostly reflected.
but i agree, i sacrife my mages, too.
if u ONLY melee him, it lasts too long, u have to shot him a bit. i dont use too much minions, only some well placed monfireballs (in his back).
i also take option of the healing staves.
that guy IS hard...
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

I just use Vorax and Blue Steele...and attack minions but sparingly as I don't like standing around casting when up on the "clouds".
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

It has been a very long time and I did not like this game very much.
But I seem to remember cheating a bit. I would fight for a while and
then 'jump' off the 'clouds' to recover my forces. Then go back and
fight some more. The damage to him was cumulative and he did not
recover.

This may be all wrong. Perhaps a dream (or nightmare). But I do remember
getting very good at working my way to the 'clouds'.

PAul
Simon

Post by Simon »

My characters couldn't cast MON fireballs lol.

A Mon fireball is about as effective as the numen staff I found, and provided you attack him when he's attacking one of your defense minions, he won't deflect anything back at you.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I popped my head in the door and let loose tons of minions, and set up a bunch of guard minions around myself (so I could get a little sleep). I found that if your not actually in the cloud room while your minions are attacking him, the damage won't stick. Also, if you fall off, you start over. After a while, when he's weaker, I'll begin walk over to the cloud he's standing on, while still pummeling him with minions. You can't win the game unless your standing on the same cloud as he is.
Nera

Post by Nera »

Or you could just cast a push spell at him and knock him off the clouds.
Ian Clark
Um Master

re

Post by Ian Clark »

I just cast a couple of minions using the boxes. Hurled a couple of Mon fireballs, hit him with a couple of weapons and that was it. Hardly a tough battle if you ask me
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

How about you just whack him with the red axes ? that's what i did... just go whacking and circling him. Didn't use magic because he has some sort of deflecting shield arround him. Also try to kill the his minions 1st
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "

Post by Guest »

I'm with the minions. Set up shop right before the last bridge, and make 4 guard minions that'll surround you completely. Now, w/o moving, just use all 4 characters to spit out asstons of attack minions, sleep, spit out more minions, sleep, rinse, repeat. When an evil minion notices that one of your guards went *poof*, they still don't do much damage.

his shield ain't perfect, high level attack minions _hurt_, and your guys should outnumber his by like 20 to 1, and should be shooting him from multiple directions. The only real downside to this scheme is that you don't get to see the action (I eventually caved in and finished him off w/ melee. Set up guard drones to make an arena, or just to distract him, and he's not that tough)

---

for head on fighting, just have a few reflect spells and fireballs ready. if you guys are playing ping pong, he'll ignore your attack/guard minions (his minions will be distracted by them too).

--

of course, I'm so fond of minions that all 4 characters, even the fighters, have insanely high mana and caster skill levels (just use +mana items for a jump start to their casting career).
Shalist

Easiest way to beat Draegoth (or, really, any monster in the

Post by Shalist »

been meaning to post/experiment with this for a while...

Invisibility

----

what more needs to be said? Attack drones will leave you alone _completely_ when you're invisible. Draegoth can still see you, but he'll ignore you in a heart beat as long as long as theres a guard drone 'nearby' to beat on. Don't leave more than a couple of guard drones around, or he'll keep up reflect alot more (and all those extra lightning bolts zipping about can be a pain in the...)

----

needless to say, he ain't that tough if you keep your invisibility up, but be ready to run when it does drop. make sure you play with invis a bit before hand, so you know when to renew it, and understand what'll cause monsters to attack what they can't see.

---

on a side note, I'd still recommend having the 2 guys in the back equipped with 1 potions each, just so you make/pass around quick healing.

on yet another side note, invisibility is probably the coolest spell in DMII, and i'd really recommend using it in other areas, just for fun if nothing else. Nothing makes a snatch 'n grab easier, or just plain messing w/ monsters.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*bump*
Duhec
Neophyte

Post by Duhec »

The invisibility didn't work for me, his minions still attacked me. But i found refelct spell useful and some MON fireballs too.

I made a whole bunch of guard minions and when i needed anything in my inventory, like regaining life with potions, i casted MON reflective spell first and it was great, because it lasts more than 10 seconds... Then I threw few FUL bombs at dragoth and MON fireballs, and he died pretty fast.
Merudo
Novice

Re:

Post by Merudo »

Guest wrote:I'm with the minions. Set up shop right before the last bridge, and make 4 guard minions that'll surround you completely. Now, w/o moving, just use all 4 characters to spit out asstons of attack minions, sleep, spit out more minions, sleep, rinse, repeat. When an evil minion notices that one of your guards went *poof*, they still don't do much damage.
By last bridge, do you mean set camp before the whole bridge, or in between the two bridge segments?

I tried this, but the minion don't stay long enough. They vanish before I sleep enough.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

Against Dragoth, I noticed that he only summons as many minions as there are (from his perspective, anyway) enemies (in other words, your party,any u-haul, scout, attack, and guard minions).

My preferred tactic is to go solo into the void. and dance around Dragoth as I pick away at him with swords. If I need to get away or I lose my bearings, I head to a longitudinal end of his side, and wait two spaces away from the edges, just in case I get hit by his push spell. When I use any offensive spells, I ALWAYS I repeat, ALWAYS use them point blank against Dragoth (the minions only tend to dodge at the worst, but reflector shield hurts, a LOT).

If this helps, then anyone who uses my tactic is welcomed. If you get zapped, fried, clawed, and poisoned, then I apologize for the bad tactics.
Hanging by a thread.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

It has been many years and I don't remember
any details. But I do remember my general
tactic. I fought with the fellow until I was
badly hurt. Then I jumped, rested, worked
my way back to the top and repeated. Believe
it or not.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

I can believe it Mr. Stevens! I have used that tactic quite recently (that is, less than a fortnight (14 days)) ago. It does matter where you jump, by the way. If you fall on the path to or away from Dragoth, then you will always reappear in the ZO-gate corridor. Jumping off at other points will bring you to the vexirks' lair or the graveyard. If you get the graveyard, it's usually faster to reload with a magic blast to the wall than to go through the entire clan zone again.

To all, a good morning/day/afternoon/evening/night!
Hanging by a thread.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

JETENGINE wrote:If you fall on the path to or away from Dragoth, then you will always reappear in the ZO-gate corridor.
I don't think there is any condition from Dragoth to tell your ending point after a fall in the void. The dungeon does actually have 3 markers from which one is randomly chosen when you fall. Although, PC-9821 code may be broken for that because it always chooses Vexirks' lair or graveyard.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

To Sphenx: When I say the path, I mean the one that appears and disappears. I have only ever tested on DM2-PC with SVGA graphics. If my results are incorrect, well, there is not much I can do.
Have a good night, all!
Hanging by a thread.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

You are very right, and the code for PC-9821 works just like you said (as for PC-DOS). Thank you for pointing that behavior, it has been a long time I did not walk on those clouds and I did not remember that...
For the technical part, there are special markers on the 'blinking' path that tell to find a target anchor point (like the markers in Vexirks' lair and graveyard) within the same map thus finding the one at the ZO gate. The others pits around do not have those markers and then find target anchor points outside the map.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

sofiabovino wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:25 am a push spell at him and knock him off the clouds.
I have seen plenty of this above; however, there is a problem with the theory.
Dragoth is far too heavy (with a weight value of 254) to let himself get moved around on his own turf by a MON Push spell, let alone off it to his doom. You might as well be trying to push a wall!
Hanging by a thread.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”