Best 3 to pick?!

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
somemale
Novice

Best 3 to pick?!

Post by somemale »

Sorry if this is a repost, but I just realized RTC has DM2, awesome!!

Going to beat this game now.

For all you Archmasters all there, what do you think is the best party??

For DM1 I usually liked to play with :

Zed - For an All purpose
Halk - For the beast that he is
Tiggy - For the Magic
And usually one more magician like wuuf.

Anyone that can match up with these guys in DM2?

Thanks!
Bowser
Neophyte

Post by Bowser »

Well, the party I've always picked when I got used to each of the characters are:

Torham
Cletus
Bane
Equus

These have proven to me to be the best players, and best party formation. Torham being the first and Equus being the last member. I always set Cletus as the leader, because he's the strongest.
Last edited by Bowser on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

As mentioned in several simlar threads, there probably is no best party, but maybe there is a best party for a specific style of playing. My style is classical 2 tanks + 2 casters for a beginning, and I see that all characters get opportunities to properly develop all classes.

In DM1 on Amiga a long time ago I played with Hissssa and Stamm reincarnated, and Elija and Tiggy resurrected.
Many years later I played once more DM1 on MS-DOS PC and this time reincarnated Hissssa, Daroouu, Wuuf and Tiggy.
Still later, when playing RTC for the first time, I think it was V0.15, I changed that to reincarnating Hissssa, Halk, Wuuf and Tiggy. For my style of play that's the best DM1 choice - while it is nice to have an axe or a bow at the beginning, there is enough stuff to find within the game, so I disregard starting equipment, I also disregard levels, because I'm reincarnating anyway in order to trade a little weakness at the beginning of the game versus better characters in a long term. Strength is what I want from my fighters primarily, in order to do damage, wear armour and carry stuff, hence Hissssa and Halk, and for my casters I want primarily much Mana, along with some wisdom, hence Wuuf and Tiggy, plus Wuuf is good at ranged weapons.

Still later, after CSB had been added to RTC I prefered to enjoy the compatibility of the RTC engine and played DM1 with characters from the CSB prison (which is not as abusive as it may sound, since the engine increases the difficulty accordingly in regard to damage taken and monster speed and strength). First I experimented with Lor, Slogar, Mantia and Buzzzz. In V0.38 I restarted in order to exploit the more generous reincarnation rules that have been removed since, and this time chose Lor and Kazai (by re-importing), and Buzzzz and Petal. I've been playing through all default dungeons with them since then several times (once to playtest each new release), but I did not train them much artificially, because training is so much more boring than actually playing. But even with just playing by now they are all archmaster priest (honestly earned), archmaster ninja (honestly earned until Ee-master, then I exploited a bug with the ninja XP, stairs and the firestaff trap), Mon-master wizards, and Pal-master fighters for the front ranks, On-master fighters for the rear ranks. Health and Stamina have been stuck at 999 for a long time now, Mana will unfortunately not go beyond some 600. Stats are satisfying too, ranging from 60 to 111. I'm curious how they will be when reaching all-archmaster for once.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I played DM2 with Torham, Bane, Het and Saros.

If you like challenge, I would suggest you to play with just Torham though. I played RTC DM2 with him, and I was able to enter the dungeon within an hour of game. That was a bad idea since I was too low stat to cope with the enemies but I could have trained and finished it...

If you ever want a real new DM experience, I suggest to play Conflux III.
What Is Your Quest ?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Petal just became Archmaster wizard in addition to being archmaster priest, and by sheer coincidence she now has 666 Mana ! :twisted:
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

I have always picked Equus for the plate that he starts with, but he usually makes a strong fighter and ends up with more mana than Torham. For my magic users, I like Seri and Graen. They start out with high mana and make some pretty awesome casters when equipped with the Numenstaff and Emerald Orbs.
Bowser
Neophyte

Post by Bowser »

purple1 wrote:I have always picked Equus for the plate that he starts with, but he usually makes a strong fighter and ends up with more mana than Torham. For my magic users, I like Seri and Graen. They start out with high mana and make some pretty awesome casters when equipped with the Numenstaff and Emerald Orbs.
Equus is actually a female. In the PC version of DM2, if you push or pull something to heavy for example or get hurt, then Equus will sound just like the other female characters you can pick.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

The three I picked that ended up being Archmasters were Bane, Cletus, and Equus. As I look back now, I still like Bane, but I usually prefer Anders in place of Equus. Cletus would probably be my third pick.
Merudo
Novice

Re: Best 3 to pick?!

Post by Merudo »

Is it worth to take heroes with high wisdom? Seems like mana become less of a problem later in the game, while high strength and dexterity are always helpful.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

As ever, it really depends on your personal approach. Myself, I never really bothered about the wisdom stat. I was always more concerned with strength and dexterity, but that's just me. I'm sure others would approach it differently.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Merudo
Novice

Post by Merudo »

Interestingly, if you are only interested in Strength + Dexterity, the champions are ordered this way:

Kol (107.5), Bane (102), Tresa (96.5), Torham (96), Jarod (93), Anders (89), Alilai (87), Graen (85.5), Uggo (84.5), Cletus (82.5), Equus (82), Odo (82), Het (81), Seri (76), Saros (72), Cordain (72).

Note that Kol & Anders have low Stamina, while Tresa has terrible Vitality.

Cletus & Equus are actually ranked low, because even though they have very high Strength, they have horrible Dexterity.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”