Applying game patch and HMI drivers update.

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Wayfarer
Neophyte

Applying game patch and HMI drivers update.

Post by Wayfarer »

I've downloaded the PC version of Dungeon Master II from the Dungeon Master Encyclopedia, the one not requiring an installation, as all the files are there from the get-go, and I've placed it in a folder called DMII on my desktop. With this in mind, how exactly do I apply the game patch and the HMI drivers update(also included in the Dungeon Master Encyclopedia)? I've copy-pasted the files included in the .rars, but I see no difference whatsoever. For the record, my sound card is a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi, if that helps. More importantly, regarding the HMI driver update, I really need it, as I can't play midi (in setup, testing doesn't work). Also, what are the differences the patch brings to the game? Thank you in advance.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: Applying game patch and HMI drivers update.

Post by ChristopheF »

I don't know exactly what is fixed in this patch, but it is for old sound cards that were used back when DM2 was released.
Your SB X-Fi is far too moden to work with the game. You need to use an emulator like DOSbox to play the game on a modern PC. Have a look here for instructions: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/310
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've changed the titles of the two "How to play DM2 " sticky posts so that they are more explicit, as it seems new users are completely missing those "read these first" posts.
Wayfarer
Neophyte

Post by Wayfarer »

@ChristopheF: Thanks for the link, but I've already read that a long time ago, when I first downloaded the games. It mentions some stuff, but not how to actually apply the patches.
@Gambit37: I've read both thread and almost all of the links in the first one, but none mentions that. :( For example, I found out myself that, regarding the game patch, if you unzip it in a folder and place it, say, in INTRPLAY and mount c:\intrplay as "C" in DOSBOX, run the install.exe file in the patch folder and set source and destination folders and paths, it does say files of the game are re-written, but in-game it still says version 1.0. Does that mean that the patch wasn't actually applied? I'd also tried just replacing the original game files with the ones included in the patch, but the game would still say "version 1.0"... Plus, I see no difference. Regarding the HMI driver updates, other than just replacing the original files with those of the HMI driver updates rar, I still haven't found how to apply it.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The HMI patch just updates the sound drivers and I doubt it would change the game version number.

Anyway, you don't need this patch if you're using DosBox because DOSBOX emulates an original SoundBlaster soundcard already. When setting up the game, just choose SounbdBlaster for the sounds and music and you should have perfect sound. Forget about the patch, it's not needed.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”