DM2 on RTC

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Paul Evans
Novice

DM2 on RTC

Post by Paul Evans »

I never got to complete DM2 first time around as my computer exploded before I got to Dragoth and my sparkly new PC didn't have Dos. Reading through the walkthrough guide on this website I was extremely close to the void, so I was extremely pleased to hear that I would be able to revisit Skullkeep through Return to Chaos. I picked my old party and set off to search of Dragoth, only to be very nearly killed by the first glop. I was then killed by a worm, a rogue vortex, and dino cow who had ventured into the shopping area. I don't remember it being this hard! Has George made it difficult on purpose?

I also remember having ambidextrous fighters and the spells casting system was different. Why has it been changed?

I have since downloaded DOS box and am playing it how it should be.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: DM2 on RTC

Post by Gambit37 »

HI there

The RTC version of DM2 doesn't have the interface or AI improvements of the original Skullkeep. The RTC version simply re-uses the standard DM interface and AI, and adds all the new graphics and sounds of DM2 plus a few special bits and bobs. So it's basically a "version" of DM2 using the older DM engine (or rather, the RTC version of the older DM engine!) And RTC monsters are generally tougher than in original DM, which is why they do odd things in RTC that you wouldn't expect in DM.

As you've spotted, if you want the original experience, you need to play the original game.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Paul Evans said: I was then killed by a worm, a rogue vortex, and dino cow who had ventured into the shopping area.
I laughed and laughed at that sentence. I just noticed the thread, so thought I'd read some of the comments.

Thanks Paul. Made my day.

I downloaded the RTC versions today, then tried out their first DM. I haven't been able to put the spell scrolls into the magic book.
User glitch?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Paul, if you are playing the original DM2 now, please do me a favor and collect savegames at (let's say) critical points whereever possible. I am still working on a Win-version, but the most critical part is, when the program calls routines indirect. Those are things like taking a coin from a table.
So whereever there is a thing that you think it could be of interest, save the game and collect them. Perhaps sometimes copy the savegame folder to another one.
Tell me, when you are done with all, and maybe send me a pm with the location where I can find the files, or I'll give you my email. Thanks in advance!

And a big hello to Wuufy - long not seen here!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

MW - you place the spell book in someone's hand, open their inventory, and then touch the scroll to the spellbook screen to transfer the runes.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

beowuuf wrote:MW - you place the spell book in someone's hand, open their inventory, and then touch the scroll to the spellbook screen to transfer the runes.
I was doing it just as you suggest in the above note. Before I read your comment, I tried again, with no difficulty.
Perhaps I was placing it on the wrong side of the spell book? Whatever the reason, it's working fine for me now.

Oh yeah, and a big hello back to BIT.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

It's somewhat unlucky that you chose the RTC-version, but well, continue with that one then.
Think savegames can't be compatible.
Surely the one or the other will try the original sooner or later.
Unfortunately there's still so much to do that I don't find time to play myself yet.
Tianhe1A
Neophyte

Post by Tianhe1A »

Bit,
You are right, as You said,"Surely the one or the other will try the original sooner or later.", but I agree, G.G. did a great job on RTC, everything is basically working fine, only the player interface is different from Doug Bell's version, which I prefer. The original played via the DOS-Box is as I was used to. Actually I still have problems with the sound config. The music is playing in the background, but the environmental sounds are still missing, so, it is like being deaf.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”