Bloodfest

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Bloodfest

Post by PetriH »

Some 15 years ago I made my first Dungeon Master / Captive / Doom inspired game called Bloodfest. The story is *very* original: you wake up on a space station infested with crew members turned into brain eating zombies, of course. Apparently some scientists accidentally opened an extradimensional portal in one of their laboratory experiments... Sounds familiar, doesn't it? :)

The game featured three levels with unique themes, insane amounts of blood and gore and extreme difficulty. The end boss was very, very, very difficult to beat.

Did anyone play this by any chance?

Here are some screen shots (if you ever intent to play the game better not get spoiled by these):
http://hol.abime.net/5518

And here's the game, should work with UAE but probably needs some Amiga expertise to setup:
http://aminet.net/search?query=bloodfest

Don't forget to apply the patch if you dare to try to tame this beast..... :twisted:
zoom
Grand Master

Re: Bloodfest

Post by zoom »

Hey PetriH

No, I did not play it. Actually I have not seen it ever before.
looks..gore-y ;) The protagonist sometimes looks a bit absent-minded I might say! Quite funny in all that mess that he´s in :)

I would like to know, since it is a complete game :what were the difficulties of this project.
It is quite an achievement to finish what you set out to do. In this case an Amiga Game. Respect man!

Furthermore the first part of the story is quite nice actually. Totally believable for my taste.
Maybe the second part is too much of a spoiler. Better would -probably- be to just say some science experiments went very wrong. Not saying anything about extradimensional portal at all at the start.(for me extradimensionality is too much of a genre stretch in too little time)
oh well.
Thanks for showing!
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Post by PetriH »

This might be suprising but technical aspects were actually quite easy. Everything including code, graphics, sound effects and so on were done in a month or so. The hardest things were actually logistical. You know, finding time to work on the project and persuading some friends to do the graphics for free. We actually got a week off from school with a friend of mine to finish this project. One of the artists lived on the other side of Finland so we had to swap disks by snail mail. Oh the joys of the pre-interwebs age! Sometimes due to broken communication the graphics didn't quite fit so I had to touch them a bit. Because the iteration loop was so slow, we could only afford one or two iterations for each asset. I basically had to live with whatever graphics the guys produced. Fortunately the artists were really capable and everything they produced was great.

Bloodfest was supposed to be our contribution to a game development competition held by ACE (or was it Amiga Format?), an UK game mag at the time, but for some reason the game didn't make it to the compo -- to this date we still don't know exactly what happened, maybe the game got lost in the mail or wasn't delivered in time or something. That's too bad because it might have placed high in the compo... Well we'll never know.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

It looks cool !
What Is Your Quest ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Petri, I love this story. I have never heard of the game, but I just wanted to say well done on creating something that's part of the Amiga legacy. How long did the whole thing take to produce altogether. You said a month for the code (impressive!), but what was the whole duration from start to end?
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Post by PetriH »

Thanks! I meant everything (including graphics) was done in a month, if I remember correctly.
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Post by PetriH »

I made a WinUAE configuration and hard disk image for Bloodfest. You can download it from here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4834521/Bloodfest.zip

Instructions:
1. Download and install latest version of WinUAE from http://www.winuae.net/
2. Download ROM files from http://dmweb.free.fr/files/Misc-AmigaEmulationKit.rar
3. Unzip Bloodfest.zip to your WinUAE directory
4. Run WinUAE and start Bloodfest.uae configuration
5. Press Y when the game asks "AGA chipset (y/n)?"

Some tips:
The game is very hard. Look for items by left clicking when the mouse cursor turns into question mark.

Keyboard shortcuts:
Arrow keys - move
Delete, page down - turn left/right
Space - open door
Enter - stab/shoot
Doomer
Neophyte

Post by Doomer »

Hah, I play demo in mid 90 on my 040/25 & 16MB Fast. I still have 3 working models so i check full version, superb demo finished many times. :)
Selur
Apprentice

Post by Selur »

Hi PetriH any chance to get sourcecode of Bloodfest ?
(i know that was written in amos :) )
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Post by PetriH »

Selur wrote:Hi PetriH any chance to get sourcecode of Bloodfest ?
(i know that was written in amos :) )
Hi there! I don't have my Amiga anymore so the sourcecode is practically lost. Sorry! Was there something you were interested in particular?
Selur
Apprentice

Post by Selur »

yes :)
pm send