Found few bugs

Things in RTC that do not work as expected (compared to Dungeon Master) or at all! Please read previous posts carefully to see if the bug has already been reported.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Found few bugs

Post by Zed5Duke »

Switch lever operated by each living member dont work when party number is more than one, but work for all operated by hand empty
Rotate party by 180 degree action dont work when is triger by each living party member and party number is more than one, but work when is triger by "party"

Game often crash when team is killed by spell shooter

Impossible to begin game with four characters in party, when put four characters to party i begin game with nobody and found error unplaced characters

Also have question how should work "luck" and male / female
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Found few bugs

Post by Ameena »

With regards to the "unplaced characters" thing, I presume you mean this is when trying to play a map you've created. You need to set the "Import to..." co-ordinates. Then your party will start on that square. I think.
It's been years since I've used the editor though...
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Again i encounter problem with "each living party member" i test dungeon with one character and its work, but then i test it again with two party members and every trigers placed on floor stop work, now am change trigers and buttons operated by "party"

Other stuff (i must check this again but seem not work properly)
-when teleport bring item on triger, it dont work, but its ok when throw, place something there
-"on triger" work but "over triger" not
-action damage health work randomly, often i press triger without effect

Also i need advice for this idea:
Fountain with poison water, when use wall obiect character get water and poison (i dont found action water/food and poison) i dont known how create my own fountain, only "clone" of fountain work. I tryed to give action (for fountain clone) when click health damage, and this action dont work, finally i made new wall obiect which triger action damage (but it dont give water)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

To do poisoning:
Clone a flask of water, set it's "Poison" special value to 1, set it's "Water" special value to 0.
Trigger an action (BOOST_PARTY_BY_OBJECT) to the cloned flask.

To do water:
Trigger an action (BOOST_PARTY_BY_OBJECT) to a flask of water.

You can change the BOOST_PARTY to a BOOST_CHARACTER to effect only the player drinking (if the fountain was clicked on, then the party leader).

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Thanx it work, now i have fountain with poison water! I never used this option before, it open new possibilities. I made experiment to give other bonus like health, dexterity. In result this dont rise stats above normal but: regenerate health (healing) and temporary increase stats. So can be used to made for example altar scenery, when touch it heal and give "bless" (temporary increase stat) for example altar of dexterity which increase for some amount of time dex stat.

Ok am going to build altars and maybe new magic potions (and brand new spells to make them) well i dont experiment with new spells already. Am wonder about fighter and ninja spells, this could be interesting invention! For example ninja will make light, open door and fighter strenght, fire aura.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

About the fighter and ninja "spells", I've already got something like that...
IE:
berserk - fighter goes nuts and hit an object in front of you x number of times (depends on strength of "spell").
haste - ninja creates a speed bubble around the party increasing the rate of movement and the regen rates of attacks (using this with a strong fighter is really effective).

I've also got a fireball that acts like the firebomb from Rise of the Triad... it hits something, goes bang... and creates additional fireballs in each of the 4 directions, affectively releasing any additional energy that the fireball had (level 6 creates 5 fireballs in each direction, lvl 5,4,3,2,1... level 1 & 2 only create one extra fireball)
I've got cursed armor that slowly kills you and turns your party member into a death-knight.

There are many wonderful things that you can do and figure out by experimenting, also looking at the example dungeons helps.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Am wonder how you do that. Already i found how make potions (create new in flask: x potion and make obiect potion with bonus (1 health for vi) But am confused for fireball: create new spell: fireball, when look at fireball obiect i could change there only things like graphic.

I have idea to make alchemist instead of priest but there should be need to use two actions: destroy item from inventory or hand (ingredient) and create potion in flask, do is possible to use few actions in spell?
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

The only ways to destroy an item(s) in the backpack is SWAP_GLOBAL_FAST or use PARTY_TILE, a trigger and a counter to say how many to destroy.

Where the fireball is concerned, clone a relay then clone a fireball... then, go to the convert tab for your new fireball, in the additional action section use:
ACTION = ACTION_ACTIVATE_OBJECT
OBJECT 1 = your cloned relay
Then just create 1 of your cloned relays somewhere in the dungeon, whenever the cloned fireball explodes, it triggers this relay... now, you can go where you want with it (create another fireball, etc.)
All you have to do now is go to the Add / Replace Spells screen, go to the wizard tab, find the fireball spell (FUL_IR) and make it create the cloned fireball, instead of the original one. Now, whenever you cast a fireball spell it uses the new effect (on top of the explosion).

EDIT: Where an alchemist is concerned, you can use ACTION_SWAP_CHARACTER_HAND_LEFT or RIGHT. When it triggers, by whatever means, run through a couple of relays, and use (triggering) MEMBER_OBJECT_ON_HAND_LEFT and RIGHT to check if the correct items are in the correct hands.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

I am at the end of level 12 ( playing DM on RTC 0.49 ) , and I am surprise why you didn't mention this before , from level 9 and on , there are many places the monsters stop moving completely , I even sleep near them and they continue stopping , and there are many places too that they can't pass .. very strange .. what is this ? a DM game ?

Also , from the start of level 9 the saving and loading became slow .. , I play Need for speed most wanted and it was faster .. really strange ..
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Please search the forum before posting. Your observations about monsters stopping have already been noted:
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=27863
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=27924

However, there are some places in the original DM were monsters were purposefully not allowed to pass. You may also have found some of those areas, and that is not a bug.

Also, please note that RTC is no longer developed, and hasn't been for 5 years -- bugs are unlikely to ever be fixed.
Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

and what about the slow saving\loading ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

How slow is "slow"?

Are you talking about a few seconds or many minutes for a savegame to load? What other programs do you have running at the same time? What processor do you have in your computer and how much memory do you have available? There are many different factors that may affect saving/loading speed (although, RTC always was quite slow in general.)

It would be helpful to give more detail in your questions if you want people to be able to help you.
Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

why do you seem always angry ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Excuse me? I'm not angry. I write in a fairly "flat" way that can be perceived as blunt by some people, but that's not anger.

I asked you specific questions that would allow me to help you work out why RTC is slow for you.

Do you actually want any help or not?
Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

I really thank you .. all I said that the loading \ saving became slowly since level 9 , slow for some seconds , and I have a super fast computer
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The sleeping near them without attack sounds like a weird quirk of AI, unless it is that thing?

Hmm, the slowing since level 9.....did you disable the fireball launcher on level 8? If not, I wonder if there is somehting weird happening because of that. That would be a bug, but might be something to try to correct it...
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

"the fireball launcher on level 8?"
Level 8 ? The very large room with ghosts gigglers and skeletons ?
I like to let the fireball launcher active, to keep the place clean from these respawning nuisances.
I don't know about RTC here.
Last time I was there was with DM PC under DOSBox ( No problem ).
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That was my point, while there is a wall to let the damn things blow up, there might be some odd memory leak happening with the constant generation of fireballs. Something vaguely similar happened in earlier iterations of RTC I think, only found when someone had a constant shooter in a ring. This is not something you'd see under other engines.

The original DM engine had monsters and other items moving faster 'off level' and so this would really exacerbate the issue if it's how RTC does it too (since the fireballs are monster movement generated). And it would have kicked in from level 9 onwards.