Dungeon Master Nexus manual translation

Talk about the lesser known games "Theron's Quest" and "Dungeon Master Nexus".
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Dungeon Master Nexus manual translation

Post by ChristopheF »

I'd like to have an english translation of the Dungeon Master Nexus manual, which is in Japanese.
It there someone around fluent enough in Japanese to do this work? I could then put the translation on this site, thus helping all the non japanese people who want to play this game.
Thanks for your help!
James

Re: Dungeon Master Nexus manual translation

Post by James »

My brother loved the original game (disappointed with Chaos Strikes Back though) and he told me about this game, so I bought it on eBay. (I scanned the manual for this site)

He has been learning Japanese for over 4 years but he will not help me with the translations :(

The only thing he helped me with was in the game (most of the traps are the same as DM and you can get by not knowing any Japanese) but on on level 7 in the Riddle Room.

The Riddle Room Level 7. What items to put on the alters to open the door.

door
2 3

1 4
stairs

1 "Everything you see is a symmetrical world"

Which I take to mean "I am all I am none" the Mirror of Dawn I would say.

2 "Close up, the item appears huge, far away top and bottom appear to reverse."

A concave one I would say, although I didn't think you could have a concave magifying glass, they are usually convex.

3 "One alone can do nothing, but two will demonstrate much power"

This is talking about a Bow and Arrow.

4 "Blue and sparkling more beautifully than *, its form *s to every woman."

The Blue gem.

Note * = the kanji are too hard to read (the low res display blurs the complex kanji together)

Hope this helps, this was the only part I have been stuck on so far.

If you would like to moan at my brother to do some translation please email him and moan.

Jef

sasami@btinternet.com

Bye for now
James
teo

Post by teo »

Wasn't there an english version released of this game? Only japanese?

I've heard about a group of ppl, who are translating some japanese only Saturn games into english (they're working on Langrisser 5 afair).If I've found out more, i'll let you know.

Btw. if you like DM like games, just give a try to Shining, the Holyark (Saturn), the most atmospheric rpg I've ever played on any platform...

teo.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

id be content to play this game on pc, may it be japanese, suaheli or whatever ;)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No emulators can play it yet... :-(
teo

Post by teo »

well, since saturn emulators on pc are pretty crap, guess you have to buy an original Saturn (what can be found pretty cheap on eBay).
and as far as i know there is no pc conversion

teo.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cheap they are not - you need a chipped Saturn or an original imported Japanese Saturn. You're looking at something like £50 minimum for a chipped Saturn, and about £65+ for an imported one.

I bought one and have been playing Nexus but it's a bit confusing and quite slow!
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

Yes you can completely forget Saturn Emulators, alway's seem the hardest to emulate Sega's consoles....

videogamedepot has nexus for $35, lik-sang.com has action replay 4-in-1 plus. Videogamedepot website is offline at hte moment i did see an expansive saturn i tihnk with mod chip at buyrite.

Holyark - thanks i got that aready, same with some other cool rpg imports(Phantasy Star collection, AnEarth story, some other one i forget).

i've tried to play many times but again very confusing esp the 3d handling, it took 6 hours just to kill one rock creatures when i started playing.
Want to talk about Dungeon master, or shoot the breeze, come check out Dungeon Master Discord(not affiliated with
other DM series sites) @ https://discord.gg/5YzEcPT
Alain

Post by Alain »

eh bien, je ne comprends pas l'Anglais, donc, je ne sais pas de quoi cela parle, mais ca a l'air super ce Dungeon Master new generation...
ou avoir des infos ??
Merci
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

"eh well, I do not include/understand the English, therefore, does I do not know what that speak, but Ca has the super air this Dungeon Master new generation... or to have infos?? Thank you"

thats what babelfish said.... I don't understand. Nexus is not "New" ok the whole 3d part is a new generation to DM from every other version ever made.

check dmweb.free.fr the "nexus" section copy that URL to bablefish and "try to read" it in french. Or click the link I'll provide at the bottem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thats quel babelfish a indiqué. Je ne comprends pas. La connexion n'est pas "nouveau" correcte la partie 3d entière est une nouvelle génération au DM de chaque autre version jamais faite.

lien de déclic ci-dessous

http://babelfish.altavista.com/urltrurl ... e&urltext=
Want to talk about Dungeon master, or shoot the breeze, come check out Dungeon Master Discord(not affiliated with
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

lol i have shing holy ark :) also picked up AnEarth fantasy both for like $5.

well as i've said before videogamedepot has this for like $35. no pc version or any other version, port was ever released or worked on besides this one.
Atleast comerically, as for translating japanese saturn games? i'd really like to know more, esp about "patching saturn games", I've seen plenty on psx, dc, pc, but almost nothing on sega saturn.

there is no way i can help translate. but I'll help be a server when i can.
Zurman

Post by Zurman »

hehe, I'm french, and I speak English too

hehe, je suis francais et je parle anglais également

Alain said : "well, I dont understand English, so I dont know what you are speaking about here , but this new dungeon master seems pretty cool...

ParuNexus(DMologist) lui a répondu : C'est ce que Babelfish a traduit... je ne comprend pas. Nexus n'est pas "nouveau", même si la partie 3d est entièrement nouvelle par rapport à n'importe quelle version de Dungeon Master qui ait jamais été faite

Pour Alain : Si tu parles Japonais, tu pourrait nous être d'une grande aide en traduisant un texte de Japonnais vers le francais, que moi ou quelqu'un d'autre traduirait ensuite en Anglais; adresse toi à Christophe, il est francais. Mais tache d'apprendre l'anglais, car c'est la langue "officielle" de ce forum et de beaucoup d'autres :)
Celine
Novice

Post by Celine »

Wow, I am so amazed by this site. I've never even heard of Dungeon Master Nexus. Now I simply must track down a copy for my Saturn... it appears videogamedepot no longer carries it. :(

As for import Saturn games, I know you can play them on a US Saturn by using a memory card (I have the Memory Card plus) without worrying about any sort of mod chips or converters or anything. If you guys like RPG-types, try Wachenroder, Terra Phantastica, Dragon Force, Langrisser, Feda, Shining Force...

Anyway, I've been a student of Japanese for 3 years, so I can help out with translation if that is still something that needs doing. I glanced at some of the manual, and it looks interesting, but it's a lot of text. Since this thread is quite old, please let me know if you're still looking for some help. :)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Yes I'm still looking for help about this, and I will be so until I can publish a full translation of the manual on the site :)

Thanks for your help.
Celine
Novice

Post by Celine »

Ok, I can send you something for the character, items, spells... but some of the manual scans are too blurry to read. I will send you the first ones soon, since that will be better than directing people to the somewhat unreliable altavista translation. :)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Thanks Celine for the translations you sent. I will publish them with the next site update.
I wanted to reply to your email, but your hotmail mailbox is full...
Celine
Novice

Post by Celine »

Eh? How can that be...? There are only ten messages in my inbox. Could you try again? There shouldn't be a problem. Regardless, I hope the translations are acceptable and I am very grateful if you choose to use them.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think Hotmail is a bit messed up right now--I had the same problems sending to a friend who's hotmial folders were completely empty!

I look forward to seeing the translations; I've found it virtually impossible to play Nexus, even through trial and error as it's the controls are quite complicated... which is kind of ironic, considering when FTL made the original versions they wanted it to be as intuitive as possible. I guess the Japanese didn't translate it too well to a true 3D environment! (FTL had virtually nothing to do with this version other than the name and story).
Celine
Novice

Post by Celine »

Please don't get too excited- I'm very busy at this time of year so I just did simple translations of the html pages here... no manual yet. I think I know where I can get a copy of the game, since the scans here aren't very legible for me.

I just noticed yesterday that the maps have a lot of text as well. I may work on those next.
James

Post by James »

Dungeon Master Nexus on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1380847974

I have bought games of him in the past with no problems (as long as you have Paypal to pay for the auction).

Import Saturns are very cheap now also.
James

Post by James »

I done the Manual scans for this site but they were huge 2 meg jpegs for each page of the manual. so I resized them before emailing them, if you want the original scan I did (to put on this site maybe, or for your translations)

I have uploaded them to my web space (for about a week).

The files are about 10meg each and contains all the scans you'll find on this site (nice, clear, huge jpgs).

http://www.gamestone.co.uk/dmn/1.zip

http://www.gamestone.co.uk/dmn/3.zip

http://www.gamestone.co.uk/dmn/3.zip
Celine
Novice

Post by Celine »

Yes, ebay, what a wondrous place! I suppose if I can't win it there for a reasonable amount, I have found one store which is charging $50 (ouch!) for a new copy.

Hey! Those are much easier to read. I can definitely work from those. Thanks. :) I downloaded all three archives to look at later.

And there are a bunch of interesting differences between Nexus and the other DMs. The guy who wrote the pages on this site commented on the difference with respect to the Super Nintendo version. His charts don't seem to be complete, though... I wouldn't have guessed that they would change the use of items (like the Yew Staff), or add spells (Heal and Heal All). Fascinating, really. I was sad to see that they changed the names of some characters (like Chani, for instance, is now Tika). Does she still look the same, at least??

Is it possible to get screen captures of Nexus (to put on the item pages)?
James

Post by James »

I bought my copy on eBay and I paid $65 for it from a guy in Germany (and he had no Paypal so I had to send him cash).

The game is very good apart from the fact the walking about is way to slow (even when you double tap it into run mode), but I surpose they did not want to make it into a Doom clone (run rings around the monsters).

The idea that the spell book remembers your last spell so you can cast them one after another (like 10 fireballs in a row) the red dragon had no chance.

Nice and slow background music, well drawn and animated enemies too.

Capturing screens is a bit out of the question as I don't have a capture card. I can and did take some pictures of the game in the tips section (when I was stuck on the riddle room section). The riddle room is not like DM where it clicks when you put the items down, it clicks when you put any item down. I was there for ages until my brother came round and translated the messages.

Bye for now
James
James

Post by James »

I bought my copy on eBay and I paid $65 for it from a guy in Germany (and he had no Paypal so I had to send him cash).

The game is very good apart from the fact the walking about is way to slow (even when you double tap it into run mode), but I surpose they did not want to make it into a Doom clone (run rings around the monsters).

The idea that the spell book remembers your last spell so you can cast them one after another (like 10 fireballs in a row) the red dragon had no chance.

Nice and slow background music, well drawn and animated enemies too.

Capturing screens is a bit out of the question as I don't have a capture card. I can and did take some pictures of the game in the tips section (when I was stuck on the riddle room section). The riddle room is not like DM where it clicks when you put the items down, it clicks when you put any item down. I was there for ages until my brother came round and translated the messages.

Bye for now
James
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm currently building a web site about the history and development of DM. The first release (which will be some time towards the end of the year), will concentrate on just DM.

But later updates will have information on all the games, including Nexus, and I intend to include screenshots, etc. Will be next year at the earliest though!
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Many thanks for the download!
i can help

Post by i can help »

I can do the transtlation as I am Japanese : ) How thick is the manual? YOu can email to me at masahironoriko@msn.com
Celine
Novice

Post by Celine »

Wow, a Japanese fan of DM?? That's so awesome!! :)

I've only taken a few years of Japanese so my translations probably wouldn't have been perfect, so if you are willing to work on it, I'll just stop now. The manual is on this page, just look under the DM Nexus section...

Return to “Theron's Quest (TQ) & Dungeon Master Nexus (DMN)”