DM Sound Problem

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Doc_Ido

DM Sound Problem

Post by +Doc_Ido »

Hi again! OK...is there ANY way to get sound on DM!? I am running Windows ME with a SoundBlaster Pro-compatible sound card and I can't seem to get any sound! The PC speaker sound is a few beeps (as expected), and anything else that I get is the correct sound, but really slowed down so all I get is an odd hum/hiss! Any ideas?
+Squack

Re: DM Sound Problem

Post by +Squack »

I have the EXACT problem. I wish so bad to get the sound to work the way it's supposed to without screwing up my machine. Maybe somebody should make the exact same game over again WITH SOUND to work on Windows ME with Soundblaster Live! That would be nice. I wish I knew how and I would, but I don't. Let me know if you find anything out, and I'll do the same.
Daniel Gustafsson
Apprentice

Re: Re: DM Sound Problem

Post by Daniel Gustafsson »

I don't know how many times I have answered this question. ;)
You have to run in pure DOS to get proper sound.
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

and how many times will people learn: Me can't do that(very well). in other words: you won't get it to work at all. I was hesitent on even geing win98 becuase i've read reviews saying 98 dos mode wasn't as good. and 2k\me ect the worest. Just have to give it up sorry.
+Amaprotu

Re: DM Sound Problem

Post by +Amaprotu »

Actually don't diss(miss) them that easily. I have win98 and a soundblaster live. Sound does not work on my system, here is what I have done: 1) run straight in windows 2) run in dos mode 3) run in dos mode with its own autoexec.bat and config.sys 4) created a win95 boot disk with the game on it 5) Created a dos 6.22 boot disk with the game on it
Under all of these I tried the following: a) no sound driver installed (only option is no sound or pc speaker) b) dos sound driver installed (shows adlib and soundblaster as options, but when selected either freezes or does the sounds incredibly slow along with the game whenever sounds are played.
I also run linux (Mandrake 7.2) and I tried running it in dosemu, no sound. This problem is with the soundcard or the soundcard drivers for soundblaster live. I have yet to find anyone that has successfully run this game with sound that has a soundblaster live. If you know someone that has done this please have them e-mail me at amaprotu@amaprotu.net because the game really is not the same without sound.
+mike

Post by +mike »

It's definitely a SBLive! driver problem. I sat on the phone with Interplay for an hour trying to get DM2 to work with sound. Even their best couldn't help.