FORUMS HAVE BEEN UPGRADED -- SEE INSIDE FOR WHAT'S CHANGED

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

FORUMS HAVE BEEN UPGRADED -- SEE INSIDE FOR WHAT'S CHANGED

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi all

Just to let you know that I will be doing some maintenance work on the forums this weekend. I do not know how long it will take. If the forums are unavailable, please try again in a few hours.

Admins: You can still login during this process but I recommend you don't! Things might be broken temporarily.
Last edited by Gambit37 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Okay thanks for the heads up - I won't go "Nooooo!" if I find I can't get in :).
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I will!!! 8)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I have to briefly go out and I suppose should do things, but you can always text me if you need help with anything today (out on a walk most of tomorrow until late afternoon though)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm currently loading an old copy of the database on my home computer to test out the process. I forgot that this bit takes hours! So I might not be able to do the full job this weekend, we'll see....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi all

Everything went pretty smoothly, although I did spend over 12 hours on this today. My eyes are very sore.... At one point I thought I'd lost the entire database but luckily I panicked before actually testing things fully. It was a real "Phew!" moment! You shouldda been here.... ;-)

So, here's what's changed:

1) Guest posting has been disabled - if anyone has a problem registering, they will need to email an admin -- I've updated that post accordingly. Beo, please add your email address too in the obscured format shown.

2) A new Textual Confirmation has been added to the user registration process. Questions and answers can be added in the Admin section, at the moment there are only three very simple questions. Feel free to suggest some! Visual Confirmation CAPTCHA has been disabled. When a registration fails, the main board Admin will get an email and an email is also sent to a central database to be added to a list of known spammers if it's valid spam. So I've changed the board email address from Cows to me as I'm probably much better positioned to deal with this.

3) Spoiler tags have finally been added! :D Simply wrap your text with [ spoiler ][/ spoiler ] (without spaces) to have it hidden in a blue bar. When displayed, rolling your mouse cursor over the text with show it. For some reason the Spoiler button doesn't appear in the Quick Reply box, but you can still write the tags manually in there and they will work. Note that they are a lot prettier in Firefox/Safari/Opera than IE. Example:
Spoiler
This is a funky new spoiler! Hope you like it!
4) A fix for Firefox has been applied to stop problems in the Admin section with it replacing a different user's password with your own stored password.

5) EasyMod has been installed which should make it easier and quicker in future to add new MODS.

6) Admin User List: One for the Admins, this allows you to easily set ban/unban/activate/delete users from one central screen.

7) Although multiple skins are no longer available, I have cleaned up the subSilver default so that it's a bit crisper and the text is larger. I also added back in some of my other customisations, such as the Quicklinks and minor formatting tweaks. I'll probably make the skin much more "DM like" in future but that can wait.

That's it! Hopefully the new security will stop spammers -- the main reason for the upgrade.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Thank you very much for your many hours of hard work!

Even just logged into the admin now (goodness knows what was happening there) and it all seemed cool. Theuser list will defintiely help, need to look at it more to see the limits of it!

Anyway, get some sleep - it's almost 3.30am!

And thanks very muchly again. Here's hoping no more nasty spammer posts!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, I forgot to say, FlashChat is now broken -- it doesn't seem to work with this version of phpBB. Might have to buy a new version, or try some other solution. There are some cool AJAX chat tools out there now, might be a more reliable option.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

thank you for all your work!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

And I've just had to delete a spammer from the news forum already, who posted pictures :(

Is the question thingie actually enabled yet? I guess I will have to go check :(
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

thanks for the upgrade! looks a bit weird to see it like this.. but c'est la vie I suppose :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, just checked, the textual question was asked and no answer gets denied...
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

thanks for all your efforts Gambit, and I believe it's in
the name of the whole forum!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, any problems with new functionality should go in another thread. Bound to be some teething problems to start, I haven't tested everything yet...
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

great job Gambit! :)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Thanks man. The crown jewels are safer now.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Thanks for your time!
While not very DM, I find the subsilver theme is quite nice in fact.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've cleaned it up a lot. This is a default subSilver install:

http://www.styleswarehouse.com/phpbb2_d ... ilver.html
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Indeed your changes make it nicer. The default subSilver looks more dated, less polished, while still nice enough for me.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Would it be possible to choose between default subsilver and your modified version?

Call me crazy but I actually prefer the default. :roll: :wink:
(This one is fine, too, though. I'm not picky about how a forum looks as long as it's got all the buttons.)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sorry, nope, I ended up modding the default install and because all the mods and patches are now bound in to the template, I'd have to do the work twice which is what I'm trying to avoid.

As noted, effort on new skins is wasted if we will upgrade to v3 anyway. These upgrades were for security purposes and to get some better control over the mess the forums had become (in the backend). I still intend to upgrade to v3 once it's a bit more road-tested by the wider phpBB community.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Hehe, I've been using phpBB3 on a different board for about 6 months now. The level of use is quite a bit lower than here, but it seems to work nicely. The administrator controls are a little wonky (it took me way too long to figure out how to allow myself to make sticky posts) but I like the security and stuff-- haven't had a single spammer!

Of course when you're supposed to see letters in something that looks like Salvador Dali vomited all over a bunch of legos, I guess the spambots don't have a chance. :P
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ahhh ! this is SO white ! :shock:
anyway, nice job Gambit !
(can you add a "Chat" button above and remove the "who's in flashchat" sticky ?)
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Thank you for your efforts Gambit, although I miss the old skin. And also:
Spoiler
Yay! Spoiler tags!!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

linflas wrote:(can you add a "Chat" button above and remove the "who's in flashchat" sticky ?)
Yeah, will add it in once we've had a good test of it. There is some code available to show users in the chat -- but it's for phpBB3. Dunno if it can adpated for v2, I'll check it out sometime...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Thread demoted as it's no longer news.