Can RTC author implement an Automap?

Suggestions for new features for inclusion in RTC. Note that all the suggestions that have already been implemented have been moved to the RTC Archive forum.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Jgames
Novice

Can RTC author implement an Automap?

Post by Jgames »

I just had to ask about it;

I liked "Escape from Order's Prison" and would enjoy it more if it had an automap, I gave up playing when the levels becomes complex, an automap would greatly help me and maybe others sticking to the game and finishing it.

Don't tell me you like to draw your dungeon as you progress, that may have worked in the 80's when we were young and had plenty of free time; it's no longer the case now.

Please no one tell me that the program is free, and to "be happy with what you've got". I wouldn't suggest this feature if i didn't like both RTC and this custom dungeon.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Re: Can RTC author implement an Automap?

Post by Zed5Duke »

Yep, am agree RTC should have options better from cloning DMs
Well there is map scroll from DM2, but it dont work good like in Black Crypt for example.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's a good idea but unfortunately RTC is currently not being updated, and we're not sure if the author intends to continue with it. So you really will have to be happy with what you've got for now.

DSB on the other hand could well have such a feature added if you ask nicely ;-)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:DSB on the other hand could well have such a feature added if you ask nicely ;-)
I think Parallax implemented something like this ages ago, actually. I'm not sure how far he got or how many features it has, and it would certainly take a bit more work to make it able to just be dropped into any dungeon... but it's something!
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Beo and Ian_Scho have it, and anyone else who wants it is welcome to it. Just PM me for the zip file until someone hosts it somewhere (I have no server).
Caveat #1: It's for DSB, not RTC.
Caveat #2: It's a full-screen, cutscene-type automap a la Lands of Lore, not the automap scroll from CSB. I think Joramun made that, but again for DSB...

Edit: Oh and if I coded it properly (I certainly believe so) it's ready to be dumped in the DSB dungeon of your choice.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Parallax wrote:not the automap scroll from CSB. I think Joramun made that, but again for DSB...
Unskilledkite made that. I keep wanting to make that importable, but I never get around to it. :(
Jgames
Novice

Post by Jgames »

Really want an automap to play all these awesome RTC dungeons.

I have some free time, and I have coding experience, and would like to implement the automap system for RTC. (like you press Tab key and you get your automap progress)
Is it possible to contact the author for source code and documentation? (If i get both (source and documentation, mainly source code) i promise RTC to have an automap a soon as can be.

Want this automap, really want it. ( I get lost in dungeons and loose interest quick).
Anyone can help get in contact with the author of RTC please?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i guess it's not possible anymore : please read http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 23&t=28548
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Odds are very good the RTC source code is not going to be released. The author of RTC hasn't even visited the forum since December of 2011.
I'd suggest you either make do or switch to DSB, because these are the only realistic options.
Jgames
Novice

Post by Jgames »

Hi Sophia;
Happy to switch to DSB, and i have some LUA experience too.
But what about all the dungeons already done for RTC? can they be converted to DSB format?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

It depends.

If the .txt and all of the assets are available, Joramun has made good progress on a program that converts the RTC text file to Lua code that DSB (and its editor, ESB) can load. It seems to be coming along, but the dungeons converted still have bugs-- I'm not exactly sure on the state of it nowadays, I admit. However, if all that is available is the compiled .RTC file, specifically, if the graphical assets are not available in a separate form, then there's no way to make any conversion, unfortunately.