Item creation help. Umm... please?

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
owlcall
Neophyte

Item creation help. Umm... please?

Post by owlcall »

I've resized a couple of pics, one for an icon and one for a dungeon piece but I can't get them to show up in game. Someone please help?

Below are links to the two pics in question, I saved these from my originals in .png to save color information.

the dungeon image:

and the icon image:

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Hmmm, you've put them in the right directory, right? I recall that for a start the icons go in a different directory to the items that they represent in the game.
I have just realised that these are 'png' format.... I dont have the app with me here but have you tried the 'gif' (or possibly 'jpg') format?
Got a download of a flameblade with me here now. The files are called:
flameblade-toward.gif
flameblade-item.gif
flameblade-floor.gif
flameblade-away.gif

After that it's down to playing about with "custom items" in the editor. I find it a bit awkward, to be honest, as there are two things going on...
1) you can create a custom item in the list, and use it 1 or more times as you build your dungeon
2) you can add an item to a game and then change it's properties to make it unique.
See the difference? I've used the custom item editor for ages, and still find that I've made mistakes.

There is an editor guide available, in pdf format.

Corrections?
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

For custom items, you can use png or gif formats.
If the item can be equipped in the "action" hand, a small amimated gif can be created (example Lightning bolt or Fury sword).

Place the finished project in the "Items" folder, then select it within the editior. You can browse within the folder for your new item, or type in the name you have given it.

An inventory view and floor pic are needed, although the flying views don't matter at this point.

The inventory view can be any name (eg. hat.png) and the floor view (dhat.png). (PNG also allows for transparencies - eg shadows effects for objects, items and deco).

If the "item" still isn't showing up, it could be in a file format not recognized by the code. The size of the item is also taken into consideration, it might be best to check both of these.

Also be sure that the "new item" appears on the "custom" item list and that it shows up on the x and y coordinates on the dm-map.

Also another thing that's worth mentioning here:-
If using custom items that, in turn, activate switches, it's not always possible to go back and edit it.
Best to plan this beforehand, especially if using several multiple triggers.