This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gor
Neophyte

Post by Gor »

I recently downloaded the DMJ game and was proud of actually getting it to work :-)

However, when it tried to play the 'Dungeon' dungeon I ran into problems. I've played this dungeon two times now. It's the one dungeon that is not one of the two original dungeons. Why doesn't it have a proper name?

The first time I was stopped by the fireball throwing nasties in the 'zooom' room down on lvl 4. I just couldn't defeat them. I had to start over.

The next time I tried I edited the module and allowed myself to create a startup character with wastly improved stats, including 8 wizard and 7 priest levels with 400 mana. In addition I practiced up all my characters Ninja level to Adept and all characters Fighter levels up to Expert or Artisan.

When I came down to the same area, there were twice as many monsters so I was still outgunned(!) and couldn't get past it even if I make 8 mar shield potions which gave me 80ish magic resistance rating(btw the readme txt is wrong on what spell combinations produce the various spells). I even had problems with the lizards outside of this 'zooom' area. 400 spellpoints at str 4 may have been able to kill one of these(I tried the various spells given in the readme list, lightning, fireball, poison, poison cloud, plasma).

This was extremely tedious. A waste of several evenings. It also means that no matter how much I beef up my characters I'll be no further along than before. What is people doing to succeed? Why isn't there a small player tip section in the Sticky section. Someone donating 15 minutes worth of typing game tips would probably be enough to allow people to enjoy this game!! 15 minutes!!

Help is very appreciated!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well volunteered!

There's a link to the previous forum where I think many more tips are.Hopefully there might be something to help you around the zoom area, as I cannot recall it being a big sticking point with other people. I know it's where I stopped (I think) but that was because I don't train so had no magic to launch counter attacks, not because the critters killed me. Anything you find useful summarise back here and we can start a collective FAQ!

None of the regulars on this forum have, sadly, advanced far with DMJ hence no FAQ was creaed. Sadly while others on the other forum mentioned it, I think dreaded real life got in the way and the information was never compiled

The trouble with 5 - 15 minute jobs is that there are invariably so many of the damn things you need to do before you ever get time to yourself :(
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Hi,

Alan created this particular dungeon to not only test out all of the mechanics of DMJava, but to create a very difficult quest for the many DM experts out there. I'd be quite happy to be playing other people's dungeons, to be honest.