Godus : Populous for the 21st century!

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Godus : Populous for the 21st century!

Post by Gambit37 »

Just over 2 days left to Kickstart fund Peter Molyneux's god game:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22c ... ject-godus

Yeah, I know a company like that shouldn't need to crowdsource funds, but this is a great looking game, and well, it's Populous dammit! :-)
Bit
Arch Master

Re: Godus : Populous for the 21st century!

Post by Bit »

I loved Populous - grabbed the old one from 'oldgames' that year. But - too busy to play.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm, maybe I should've mentioned this on here somewhere, but I actually didn't even think about it, lol. I've already backed Godus - found out about it a week or so ago when Peter Molyneux appeared in a few Yogscast vids in which they talked to him about a few of his past games (Dungeon Keeper, Populous II, Magic Carpet, etc), and then went on to speak about Godus.
That makes three Kickstarters I've backed within the past few months, lol.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Kickstarters are sneaky, you back then, then forget about them, so back other ones. Stupid delayed gratification. I want all my shinies now, now, noooooooooow!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Nah, I hadn't forgotten I've backed it - they've been doing one or two updates a day for the past few days now. But it finishes on Friday - they were about 2k off the goal when I last checked (about 10-15 minutes ago). Ooh shit I just checked again and they're just over 300 quid past the mark - they've done it! Yay! Now for the stretch goals :).
The other stuff I've backed was Elite: Dangerous (finishes on something like the 3rd of January) and the new Sentinels of the Multiverse expansion (reached its goal of $20k in four hours, went on to finish at $185,200, whatever that is in English moolah, and met every stretch goal even after several new ones were added as it went into the last week or so). The latter will be shipping in May, with the additonal mega-expansion (one of the stretch goals) being ready by October. I don't think there's an estimation on Elite yet.
Actually, I've also technically backed Grim Dawn (from the makers of Titan Quest, and using that engine), but it was Ja'Ph' who actually put through the backing for that - I gave him my half of the cash afterwards.
Anyway, looking forward to all this new stuff that's on the way! Go go independent game-makers! :D
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Woohoo, they made it. Nice! I shouldn't have been surprised given the pedigree of the studio. I'm def looking forward to this and hopefully if the fireside chat I mentioned elsewhere with Molyneux goes ahead, I can ask him questions about it :-)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just saw that if they make 550K, they will also support Linux and Ouya, nice. I like the look of the 500K goal -- "First Person World Crafting" :-) I couldn't see the appeal of MineCraft, but Godus has caught my imagination :-)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Kickstarter - Helping feature creep creep along one dollar (or in this case, pound) at at time. :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Argh, don't say that, you'll shatter my carefully crafted personal bubble of (third-childhood nostalgia dementia) that Kickstarter is awesome. ;-)
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

<sarcasm>There aren't enough graphics on that page.</sarcasm> I'm a little disapointed that this isn't a continuation of Populous 3. I enjoyed the ST version of Populous, but 3 was more fun in my opinion.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I've played Populous on my Amiga, and I'd love to play another game like that now, so Godus look like it could fill that void for me.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Molyneux said in his interview with the Yogscast that Godus would basically be a sort of combination of Populous, Black and White, Dungeon Keeper, and Fable, I think. So, all the god-related games that he made with both Bullfrog and Lionhead, basically :D.
If anyone is interested, here are links to all the Yogscast vids in which they interview Peter and talk about his games, including Godus and Curiosity (something on touchscreen phones where you tap blocks to chip away the layers from a giant cube, in which there are billions of blocks and everyone is working away at the same cube, at the same time).

Vid 1, general discussion of older games - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBoDIqR0CAE (about 7 mins)
Vid 2, part two of the previous vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6-grRsTupA (about 13 mins)
Vid 3, Curiosity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqAN9RD74ZU (about 15 mins)
Vid 4, Godus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIagzkknHbo (about 23 mins)
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

So much cool stuff, so little time.....
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Powermonger was SO MUCH BETTER.
What Is Your Quest ?
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Joramun wrote:Powermonger was SO MUCH BETTER.
Really? That's one of those few that lay around here being unplayed... :roll: