Puzzle games, who likes them?

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Puzzle games, who likes them?

Post by cowsmanaut »

Puzzle games exist in many different forms. Some more action oriented, others sit and boggle the mind.

Games like Tetris, bejeweled, and bejeweled twist are amongst the more action oriented theme. Constantly adapting and pushing you to solve simple things, then there are the mind breakers.. Boxman, and the newer game cut the rope, where esentially, there isn't a direct time limit.. take as long as you need to solve the puzzle and sometimes we're talking several days..

Then of course there are those based on more obscure puzzles like Hapland, and the rooms (red room, etc), and a host of other flash puzzles based around a sequence of things. Much like DS games where you seek clues in a larger image. sometimes more about attention to details, than puzzling..

The reason I bring all this up, is I'm working on a puzzle game at the moment for Android devices. just wondering how many people here like puzzle games, and if so what kind of favorites do you have?

Also, if you're a fan of the sit and think puzzles and have an android device, let me know too. Might think about expanding our playtesting before release on the market. So far I've had good response to the game, most people that have played it have enjoyed it. Though at least 1 that hated it ;p (that would be my wife) ..

Here are a few puzzle games to enjoy
http://www.kongregate.com/games/joelesler/fold
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Nitrome/faultline
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/433935
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Puzzle games, who likes them?

Post by Ameena »

I tend to like word puzzles. Hidden object stuff can be quite good fun. Some Match-3 games can be good too, or ones where you can highlight more than three things to create chain reactions and stuff - like the game "Elements" (and its sequel), found on Big Fish Games (omg that site is sooo good for this kind of stuff...).
And the Portal games. I can't let talk of puzzle games go past without mentioning those :D.
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

just in case this may inspire more interest :P This is an image from the already working game..

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Cool, looks a lot like the kind of thing you find on Big Fish. I don't have an Android phone (or any of those gaming/Internet phone thingys) so I suppose I won't be able to try this out, though.
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Puzzle games aren't my favorite thing but I do like a few, some hidden object, some word puzzles, and my favorite type of puzzle would have to be Sudoku, I love those puzzles. I also like some matching-type puzzles, and ones like this shareware game called snood. Except for Sudoku and crosswords though, I don't play puzzle games all that often, mostly when I have a few minutes to kill while waiting for something else.

That puzzle game you just posted looks like something I'd probably try out and use to occupy myself while waiting for an appointment or on the bus for a while and want to pass the time. I'd say definitely go for it, there definitely is a market out there for puzzle games like the one shown in your latest post.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well after about a year of work, it's finally released on google play. Beware it's a challenging game with various different types of puzzles.. so far, everyone who has played it has enjoyed it..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... araohslock

Try it out if you're interested :)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Oh well, I have none of those new super duper portable must have high tech gizmos. You know, what they use to say, quoting hemorrhoids.... :wink:

Yes, I love puzzle games.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you can also play android games on your PC, just need to install an emulator. There is an involved one from google themselves in their SDK.. or you can use http://www.bluestacks.com/ which is free. You just need to log into a google account to access the market.. there are plenty of games for cheap, or free.. :)
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

I seem to love spatial puzzle games. I really loved Portal, and I was absolutely knocked out by The Room on iOS. The Room is a stunning puzzle game, amazing concept, really well executed. It's not a 'perpetual' puzzle game like Tetris is, for example, but wow... awesome.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Congrats on finishing your game Cows!

I'll try out the free demo as soon as I can get it loaded onto my tablet which so far as been stubborn about connecting to the google store so far, but I'm sure I'll get that fixed before long.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I've also created a facebook page for our company, and will probably post some of the early designs for the game, as well as some concepts for fun.. as we work up to the next game :)
https://www.facebook.com/galdurgames

Probably going to do a space shooter next.. can't do puzzle games ALL the time :D
johnnystorm
Novice

Post by johnnystorm »

Puzzle games rock! Anyone played The Room? Epic.