So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Nymeriaa
Novice

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by Nymeriaa »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I had not realized there were so many options to get this game still, it still must have a really dedicated fan base! I currently play more modern games atm - Starcraft II, Battlefield 4 for PC, I used to play WoW, and most recently Elder Scrolls Online (does anyone else play this?). After playing ESO I realized how much fun a good story line with puzzles really is, which is sort of what brought on my desire to give DM another go!

Anyway, I plan to explore more of the forum threads and see if there is anything fun to read/talk about, maybe the lore of DM, or if anyone else plays ESO I would love to have someone to talk about it with :D I'm sure I'll at least be back to the help thread when I inevitably get stuck somewhere in DM LOL
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I haven't played ESO but I've played all the other Elder Scrolls games, Morrowind being my favourite. The only MMORPG I ever played was EQ, back in the day...and am looking forward to EQC so I can relive those days, the Classic days, before EQ changed beyond all recognition from the game it started out as ;). I've not played any of those other games you've mentioned either, though I have heard of them, at least ;). You appear to have played the Blizzard games that I haven't played...I've done Diablo II and III, Warcraft II, and more recently, Hearthstone. I have several other games waiting to be played, some I'm partway through, some I'm waiting to play (seventeen days till Elite: Dangerous Standard Beta goes live :D), and some others I probably forgot ;).
Anyway, on the subject of DM, if you get stuck anywhere, by all means ask us. Alternatively, there is also the Encyclopaedia (web address is dmweb.free.fr), which holds pretty much every DM-related resource that anyone has ever been able to gather - scans of the manuals and cheat guides, links to downloads of the clone/remake versions, hints and tips, info on all the characters, spells, monsters, and everything else. For all the games, not just the original DM :).
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Never played ESO. I am enjoying Skyrim though, there is a thread about it over here.
Nymeriaa
Novice

Post by Nymeriaa »

Ameena - Wow it really seems like we have both played so many games, but none of them the same! LOL I tried the Diablo beta when it came out but couldn't really get into it. I haven't played hearthstone and tbh I don't even know much about it - other than that it is Blizzard. I did once play Warcraft I and II though and loved them! RTS games can be really fun but I do prefer the mythical/fantasy style of games like Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, and DM, as opposed to the space stuff you'd see in Starcraft or Mass Effect or something along those lines.

oh_brother - Surprisingly I've NEVER played another Elder Scrolls game, ESO is my first! Needless to say I'm a little lost on the lore and all the names and factions. When I play ESO I see a lot of people talking about events or characters I know nothing about and it seems like there is such a rich history associated with this game - maybe I'll have to check out Skyrim or the other Elder Scrolls games :) So many games, so little time!!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hearthstone is a free card game where you can play as different classes (from WoW I presume), each class having access to cards specific to that deck as well as a whole load of "general" ones which any class can use. You build a deck and play against the AI/other players. Completing "quests" (usually along the lines of "Win two games as class X or class Y") earns you gold, which can be used to buy more card packs. You can also straight up buy them with real money but bugger that ;).
As for the Elder Scrolls...yeah, Tamriel has a lot of lore to it! I've played all five (the first two were available for free on the Bethesda site a couple of years ago, no idea whether they still are now but I do still have the Zip files...), but Morrowind (the third game) is my favourite. Arena I couldn't really get into (stuff just kept respawning in places I'd been so I could never fully clear out an area), Daggerfall I played for a bit but ended up doing other stuff. Morrowind I've played through maybe four times (Game of the Year Edition, so this includes both expansions, Tribunal and Bloodmoon) and really enjoy. Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) I've played through once...didn't quite enjoy it as much as Morrowind. The interface (well, inventory screen) is kind of annoying and the world is relatively tiny (though even Morrowind was miniscule compared to Daggerfall). Skyrim I enjoyed for the way stealth worked, but again the world was pretty tiny (about the same as Oblivion's), and I found the invntory UI kind of annoying (I think it and Oblivion's were designed with consoles pretty heavily in mind, /sigh...). It also has the n00b-friendly "click on a place on the map you've been in order to go there instantly" (whereas with Morrowind you at least had to go to a ship/silt strider or use a teleportation spell), and quest markers which can be actually in the game screen as opposed to just on the map, floating in mid-air over whatever it is you need to get to for the qust (but you can turn these off, just as you can walk/ride everywhere if you want :)). You can also defy the laws of physics by riding horses up near-vertical surfaces. Can't remember if you could do this in Oblivion and there are no horses in Morrowind (nor the previous two games, as far as I'm aware). Skyrim has a couple of expansion packs but I've not played those as in Skyrim's case I got hold of the base game before they were released.
I've seen, in shops, a five-pack of all the ES games...not sure whether this includes expansions for those that had them, though.

Post by rpgamer »

Hi all,
I'm John and have been a DM fan since it first appeared on the original Atari ST. I am 52 years young and am a Gamer for Life. This is what started my love for dungeon crawling games. I wish they would make more. :p
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Greetings rpgamer :D Things can sometimes get lost at this time of year.. everyone is so scattered :D

Always nice to see someone new on the forums though!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heya, welcome to the forum :).
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

by the way, there are several clones here new dungeons to explore for free as well as links to some commercial games like DM that many of us love
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

happy 10th birthday to this thread. :)
how many of the old guard are still here?
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

me me me me me
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If by "old guard" you mean "people who've been around for ages", I'm still here, as you can see ;). I've been around since March 2003 I believe (starting on the RTC forum before the various DM forums were combined into this one).
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

ah, in the year 2000 I was here as just CHAOS, apart of the original group and was happy to see this forum born. I feel privileged to be a part of this place.
keep your gor coin handy
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

boyflea wrote:how many of the old guard are still here?
I'm just old... And still 'here'!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Still here, just!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

It depends on how you define old guard. If your definition extends at least as far as people who joined in Aug 2009, then me too!

But I guess I would define myself as a "middle-aged" guard. :D
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Guess that make me a young guard....hmmm, young, like the sound of that :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

mmmmmmmmm
keep your gor coin handy
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

I am not a guard yet, I'm just a little grunt but I had so much fun to read what's old guards think :wink:
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
Nalaufein Hasrov
Neophyte

Post by Nalaufein Hasrov »

My name is Quentin, I am currently DMing two campaigns and about to play in one of my friend's campaigns. I am studying Physics in school, other than that there isn't much to me. I really enjoy writing in depth stories and dungeon plots, sort of a passion of mine.

In my first campaign we my group is currently being used as a tool to start a conflict between Hades and Zeus. One of the players in my group is a Lawful Evil Necromancer and he has essentially been hired by Hades to open up the Material Gates. These gates are basically the portals that close Hades off into the Underworld. He has no access to the Material Plane and neither do any of his allied outsiders. Elric (the Necromancer) has to open up these 4 Portals so that Hades can have access to the Material Plane (His goal being to stir things up and possibly banish Zeus). The group is currently Level 9's but we plan on it being an Epic Level Campaign (so up to Level 40). This campaign is ran in Faerun, focusing in the Chultan Peninsula. They will be moving around quite a bit throughout the next 30 Levels but most of their travels have been through Samarach -> Thindol -> Black Jungle -> Thindol and next the Hazur Mountains. (There have been a few interesting side quests that have led them astray a tad bit).

In my second campaign we are in a somewhat post apocalyptic Khorvaire. Technology is moderately advanced (think WWI), alchemy and botany are popular areas of study, magic is dwindling. The group is apart of an organization in the only still standing countries (Thrane, Karrnath, and Aundair). They are known as "Hunters", much of the land is inhabited by chaotic beings, their job is to rid the lands of evil and help rebuild the farmlands and cities.

If you guys want to hear more about these campaigns I will be happy to share. I have lots written, I plan on possibly making these into novels or something at some point.

[Edited by an Administrator for mild swearing. Please see the house rules before posting]
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hi there :). Welcome to the forum. Um...so, two things...
Firstly, the Dungeon Master of this forum isn't the kind of Dungeon Master who runs a game of DnD, it's actually a game called Dungeon Master which came out in 1987 on the Atari and Amiga and stuff, a first-person RPG where you take a party of up to four people through a dungeon and fight monsters and stuff. But as well as being gamers in general, several of us (including myself ;)) are into DnD and other tabletop RPGs anyway so feel free to stick around if you wanted to chat about that ;). Which edition are you using, anyway? I've only really got proper experience with 4th
Secondly...actually, people can't edit posts now as it got changed recently...but anyway, I expect that someone else will come along and edit one of the words in your post due to a general "no swearing" rule around here ;).
Expert

Post by Selie »

I'M NOT DEAD YET!
I haunt this forum briefly every four years or so, then disappear until adventure calls again...

Seriously, if you want to keep up with me, these days I'm pretty active as Lauren the Flute (video game music!) online. I ♥ you all!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey, wb Selie, haven't seen you for what feels like several years :D.
Novice

Post by palyarmerc »

First played Dungeon Master and CSB back on the Amiga between 1989-1993
(1991 was spent exclusively playing Captive)

- Had original box sets with Gor coin
- remember (intuitively) discovering the FUL bomb (flask) spell in DM
- remember being able to use a grapple and climb up in CSB
- forgot how hard CSB was, tried again and failed just recently
- played Dungeon Master Java as it was being developed
- played the Dos version of DM in the early 2000's
- played with RTC only just now...but...

having played Grimrock... (and after trying Amiga emulation, and Dos PC versions of DM and CSB)
I have to say......of all the DM remakes and clones I've come across, DSB is by far the best
It's by far the tidiest bundle, nice and fast - and in a way, I'm glad I can't edit (on the fly) my savegames...
(though the editor comes in handy as a cheat tool, to view the layout, in the more exceptionally desperate moments)
...because...
Unintended Heroism is by far the best dungeon I've played since 1993
It's a veteran players delight to be tested to the max on all that is great about this game -
Getting frustrated but discovering things long forgotten...
..like using just one hero to get past any tricky bit, and carry your team in your knapsack - ha !

Awesome work on Dungeon Strikes Back, I'm loving my Unintentional Hero quest, and thanks for sharing and hosting these files so freely ;-)
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Oh, you know me, popping in every few years... or at least that's what it seems like...? :oops:

I'll try to stick around a bit better this time! I'm just really bad at keeping up with things these days...
I haunt this forum briefly every four years or so, then disappear until adventure calls again...

Seriously, if you want to keep up with me, these days I'm pretty active as Lauren the Flute (video game music!) online. I ♥ you all!
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

palyarmerc wrote:Awesome work on Dungeon Strikes Back, I'm loving my Unintentional Hero quest...
Hey, if you liked that, you'll be moderately disappointed with my famous 'Two Lovers' DSB: so good it doesn't appear on the official list of DSB dungeons!
But really, really I just wanted to reply to you because of the name: I loved Mercenary, ;)

one day i'll figure out how to replace my avatar...

PS: when I said 'old guard' i was not referring to your ages - just how long you guys have been here.

I would never generalise: I am sure that not everyone here is old, drinks ale, LARPs, draws, writes, composes, emulates, jangle-odd-shaped-dice or laments Sir Terry's death. Though if not, why not, eh? ;)

I've grabbed some stats that I've left with the boss-dudes about this: seems there is a long-standing hardcore bunch of DM's going back through the ages.
So a big 'hi' to you all.
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
palyarmerc
Novice

Post by palyarmerc »

boyflea wrote:.. you'll be moderately disappointed with my famous 'Two Lovers' DSB..
This dungeon sound very interesting...not just thrown together; downloaded and ready to play. Thanks Dave.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

I'm flattered, thankyou.

...and thanks to your name, I've discovered there is a 'Mercenary' remake site... ooo... so many games, so little time...
http://mercenarysite.free.fr/mddclone.htm :)
jasondarby
Neophyte

Post by jasondarby »

Hello,

Been a long time watcher (coming to the forums/pages) every now and again. So as I am working on a project thought it was about time to say hello.

I am a games designer/writer/author/human being.

Love games, love buying games, love playing games and generally addicted to games. In my top 10 games of all time would be Dungeon Master and X-com terror from the deep.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Greetings good sir! Need not worry, we've many lurkers, even I sometimes just pop in to read and then post nothing, due to lack of time.

It's always great to see new projects starting up, more love given to this kind of game :)