Two weapon fighting

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Leslie
Adept

Two weapon fighting

Post by Leslie »

Has anyone ever implemented an attack method with two weapons?

Take a dagger for example. I'd like to create an attack method like "attack with two daggers" which checks if two daggers are equipped and then deals more damage than a "normal" dagger attack.

Is this possible?
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Two weapon fighting

Post by beowuuf »

I should be, you can route new actions through a wall_action actuator. So you could have it check for a second dagger and do a higher value attack then if this check fails, have it do a lower value attack.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

How can I build such an actuator and create/route "new" actions? As far as I've seen in RTC editor, I found no way for creating new actions. Or for checking if particular items are equipped.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Thisis going by memory:

There are wall items called relays, counters and 'action' items. Relays can be used to check conditionals. wall_action items can be called by name (you usually close it and give it a new name). These wall_actions can trigger actions. So you can clone say a stab action, clone a dagger, give this cloned dagger the cloned stab action that all it does is targets a relay. Have the relay check the off hand, and if true then target the wall_action which can make an attack.

It's something like that.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

If you mean the list of ACTION_* things, those are hardcoded and you can't create new ones.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Instead of having the attack method use a "deal damage" action, you make it fire an OBJECT_ACTIVATE action using a cloned WALLITEM_RELAY as the object_1's target type. When the attack method is fired, it fires ALL instances of that cloned relay that exist in the dungeon (so if you only have 1 instance of it, it only fires once... with 2 or more instances, it fires for each of them individually, one after the other). You just make this relay check if your effect should fire (is the weapon in the left hand) and then you can target WALLITEM_ACTIONs that actually deal the damage.
Last edited by Lord_BoNes on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I was replying to this:
Leslie wrote:How can I build such an actuator and create/route "new" actions?
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

My bad. I've edited the above post. :(

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

With trying around a little, I managed to produce the desired effect with an combine action. The attack method fires a combine action, which checks for two daggers (and destroys them, I don't know if I can prevent this). Then, in the properties of the dagger, I defined that on a combine action a new dagger is being created (a workaround for the destruction mentioned above), and also the damage is dealt.

It works if you have two daggers equipped and does nothing if you only have one dagger. What I didn't check by now if you get experience even if the action fails.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

How about use combine skill here? Combine will work only when have these two weapons in both hands. In weapon attack methods option: "dual swords" After combine create the same weapons and make additional action of damage. So he will hit stronger when carry two swords, option will dont work if he hold only one.

EDIT sorry dont read previous post, seem like you already found the same concept
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I'd assume that it'll give you XP doing it with combine. When the combine action occurs, it SHOULD tell the attack method that fired it "I succeeded here, so give 'em XP"... which isn't entirely true. If you just stand there (with no monsters around) and continuously attack the air, you should slowly level up.

But, I could be wrong here... testing is needed.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

madison11
Neophyte

Post by madison11 »

What are the best two weapons used in fighting? My choices are knife and sword. Are those weapons okay?
I wanna bring this all the time “blowguns
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

that depends on the type of sword. Something like the Inquisitor would, of course be better on it's own without a second weapon, then fighting 2 swords style with say a falchion and a dagger. The Inquisitor's damage would be higher even then the combined damage of the falchion and dagger combo.

However I think the original poster was discussing ways to make the RTC engine simulate fighting 2-swords style, something the engine wasn't really designed to handle, hence this discussion of how to design a workaround, which seems to come down to either using cloned objects that activate a cloned relay and do damage depending on whether or not the character initiating the action has another weapon of a specific type equipped in his/her left hand. The other method discussed here was to use the combine feature as a workaround.

Anyways, welcome to the forum. 8)