Graphics Wanted

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Crash.
Adept

Graphics Wanted

Post by Crash. »

Greetings,

I am working on a general replacement graphics set to be used with RTC, and perhaps with any other present and future Dungeon Master clones that may support at least 8-bit graphics. This set is intended to include all of the dungeon graphics for the Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back dungeons, and therefore any other dungeons that were created with these assets in mind. The look of these graphics is intended to be consistent with an 8-bit wallset such as the Dungeon Master 2 Stone wallset, but with the original DM/CSB monsters and items updated to a similar depth and quality.

I have been collecting updated graphics from a variety of sources, and obtaining permissions whereever applicable or possible, and creating databases of the available resources and those needed for this specific application. Some of the graphics that I have seen so far are those from Cowsmanaut, Dungeon Master Java (Alan Berfield, Jorg Nieberg and Adam Garland), DMJ Addons 1 and 2, Germanny, Kelly, Francisco Muñoz, and probably one or two others. It is clear that there will be some gaps, or that some items in a different artistic style may not be ideal for this set.

I therefore would like to ask if any of you have developed graphics that you may be willing to allow to be included with such a project. I am also interested in seeing any of your own custom graphics that may not already be out in public, or to be made aware of any sets that I may have overlooked. For example, I think I saw a nearly complete set of champion portraits somewhere recently, but don't recall where it was located or who created them. I understand that graphics made for custom dungeons are generally not something that people are willing to share, so as to avoid spoiling unigue dungeon experiences, so I am only looking for updated graphics to replace the standard DM/CSB artwork. I have composited together or upgraded some of the missing graphics on my own, and will continue this process. Unfortunately, as I am not an artist, some of the needed images will surely be beyond my capabilities.

Thanks for your consideration.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Re: Graphics Wanted

Post by cowsmanaut »

Just so you know Cowsmanaut, Drake, and Adam Garland are all the same person ;)

Someone named Kelly took my last set and I think they finished it off.. I see you mentioned them there, but I think their set is complete and free to use as long as you don't make money off it. I rarely have the time these days to do any graphics and those moments when i do I lack inspiration. 2D stuff is usually pretty quick, if I have an idea of what to work on and someone can keep me motivated. 3D stuff is a lot harder and unless it's something I'm paid a lot for, or I'm really excited about.. it rarely get's finished. So it's good when people like Kelly help to pick up my slack :D
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

I had been meaning to ask you if you were responsible for some of the artwork that I have seen from various sources.

As I recall, Kelly was in the process of an Addon3 but has not finished it, and when I did a cursory examination of DMJ and addons, there were some items that were not updated to the same quality as the others, so I assumed that some of these might still be in process, or were as good as they were going to get. I also noticed the dimensions of the DMJ artwork was different from the original, so some conversions have been necessary. I updated some of the creatures and dungeon graphics to the best of my ability, and have been going through everything else to see if I can put together a full set for RTC. If I ever finish this, I would like to try one of the fancier wallsets that you (and/or others that may or may not be you) have created for DMJ. I just didn't think these would blend well with a 16-color Oitu.

Basically what I am doing right now is a massive inventory and comparison, and I'm prepared to do some more enhancements and compositing on any missing items. Hopefully I'll be able to put together something fairly consistent.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Hi Crash, did anything ever come of this endeavour?

Cowsmonaut, where does one find your wallset? Would love to see it. Have been building my own and be interested to see yours... I hear its good!