Doors and wallsets with non-classic sizes

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Doors and wallsets with non-classic sizes

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

Hello all.

I have one big problem with RTC... I know most of you stopped playing with it and that GG is not developping it anymore, but I believe it's worth sharing this problem and I hope you could help me.

I've been working on Black Crypt graphics for several weeks now, and most recently on the wallsets. After several tries using Whack and some other using RTCWM, I decided to directly pick up all the bitmaps needed to have a full wallset from Black Crypt to have a "real" Black Crypt wallset. However, the size of the walls are not the same in BC and in DM: the front1 wall in RTC is 320x222 while it's about 380x238 in a BC window resized to fit in the game window of RTC.
Anyway, I succeeded in building coherent walls to get a real BC feeling (on that point, I had to test the X-Y positions of each wall many times before succeeding... I still don't understand how it works...).
My real problems appeared when doing the doors and the doorbuttons. I believe that RTC does not support doors (and doorframes) having differents sizes than the classic ones (192x176): the perspective on front2 and front3 distances goes wrong and no matter what size is the door, on side1 and side2 views, it's always stuck to the wall in front of the player. Making the side1 and side2 options for the doorframes useless...
Same for the doorbuttons: I think that if the wallset does not have the classic size, the buttons are wrongly placed on either side of the door no matter what X-Y offsets you put.

I built a short RTC test dungeon in order to help you understand -and clearly see- my problems. You'll find this .RTC in the following .7z file, along with the source .txt file and the .png files needed to compile it (BC level 13 walls). The link will die in two weeks, so if an admin wants to make a backup link here, do not hesitate.
https://www.wetransfer.com/dl/JHvPX3Tm/ ... 2d3731833f
[Backup Link] Download file BC13_Test.7z from this shared OneDrive in the Custom Dungeons folder.

If anyone used non-classic sized wallsets or doors with success, I need some words of help (and hope) because the solution I'm thinking about now is very complex...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Doors and wallsets with non-classic sizes

Post by Gambit37 »

I've added a backup link for you as requested.

All I can say about your problems is that RTC wallsets really do need to match the engine's expectations or you're gonna have all sorts of issues, way beyond just doors looking wrong. You'd actually be better off re-drawing the walls to fit the RTC model, rather than trying to make non-standard sizes work. I'm afraid I don't have the time to help you explore alternatives.
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

Thanks for the fast answer Gambit.

I don't plan to put DM wall or floor items in the BC-looking levels of my dungeon, only the (not that numerous) items of Black Crypt (pits, pillars, alcoves, fountains). I've done it using resized wallsets using some tricks, but the quality is poor, and I sometimes have to built side graphics myself since BC and RTC perspectives are different... I would like to have something clean, truely propotionnal to the original BC graphics.

I think that since I succeded in having coherent walls and doorframes, I can also have these other objects coherent? For wallitems, all I need to do is to pick the full gfx of a wall containing the wallitem. On the other hand, flooritems will indeed induce issues, just as the doorbutton does, for the side graphics... But I can't see other possible issues?
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

I just tried to place a pillar and a classic pit from the DM2 stone wallset, they both are quite coherent with the walls and floor perspectives. I think that I can do the same for flooritems such as pits than for wallitems: I'll pick the full floor square to be sure the perspective is respected.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

just my 2 cents.
try RTCIP, that might work for wrongly placed door buttons : use an original BC screenshot as background (or some shot from your example dungeon), then place your items on it (floor or wall items) and you'll get RTC offsets values.
http://linflasdm.blogspot.fr/2008/02/rt ... items.html
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

Thanks for the advice Linflas.
I actually already tried to use it, in order to place my doorbuttons. And I thought it didn't work for my walls, I never found a good solution. But just to be sure, I checked again now that I know the good offsets and... It actually works for some positions, but not all. For my doorbuttons, it works for the side2 (left2 in RTCIP), but not for the side3 (I used the tiles.ini lines that you proposed in the dedicated topic here)... Anyway, even having the good offests, I sometimes have the doorbutton on both side views while it should be only on the right view (you can see it in the test dungeon I posted). I guess RTC was not made for having side1 and side2 graphics on doorbuttons.
Anyway, I guess your tool will help me much now that I've seen it works for me, even if it's not for all the positions, so thanks again (from Boulogne :wink: ).
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

de nada !
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

it really goes whacky when animations are used. solution, redraw the doorframes to match the offsetting. it's not perfect, but it is nice to have animated doors.
keep your gor coin handy