OOC thread!

Forum to run play-by-post RPG games based on Dungeon Master! Warning: These games may have mature themes or language.
CURRENT GAME: Raixel's 3.5ed D&D game

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

OOC thread!

Post by raixel »

This will be the OOC thread for any games I run.
raixel

Re: OOC thread!

Post by raixel »

Beo: I dont really care about encumbrance unless it becomes an issue (ie carrying an unrealistic amount of stuff for your STR like 4 suits of plate mail) as I find trying to keep track of the weight of every little thing a char ends up carrying a pain that detracts from the game. So baiscally, Ill just be keeping an eye on your char's inven and will let you know if its getting to the pint where you are going to become encombered. As far as max lift/lift over head and all that other stuff, id rather control it using rolls and DC/penalties for something at your upper limit(or make you have to drop some stuff to try to move something without a penalty) as again, I hate number crunching. If this free-form style bothers you, let me know and i'll use the book form.
raixel

Post by raixel »

*snicker* and BTW did you notice on the title for this forum it says 'the Raixel's DnD game' :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

the Raixel's D&D game? Weird, don't see it. COuld have been worse, I could have called it 'The Pickles'
raixel

Post by raixel »

Its not in this one, its on the main DnD site when you look at the title for the sub-forum.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh I see where you mean now - it's in the description of this sub-forum, not the title, which is where I was looking before :D.

Post by raixel »

Description, title, thingy,.. Yeah! that thing!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I have just been snooping around Beo's character sheet, and I see that his character is level 8 (even if he does have pretty awful stats, but that is another issue!). Does that mean that everyone would be starting at level 8? And does that mean that we could keep our characters from Beo's game?
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I believe that's the idea.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, I think Raixel would prefer to start afresh with a lower level character if everyone is making new ones. I just jumped the gun and made a level 8 character since that's where you guys would be (or would just be) by the end :)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

"Ahhh... me sees now" says BoNes in recognition...

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
raixel

Post by raixel »

It depends. Thats kinda why Im running Beo through this lil game on here, as I need to see if (a) his shitty stats are gonna work and (b) what level I want to start you guys off at. I was thinking 3 or 4. So far it seems people want to play new chars, so if anyone wants to keep old chars, speak up. It can work both ways and might even be cool if some people feel like keeping old chars and some new.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Also, how about this. What level do YOU guys wanna start at (and if anyone says 20, im going to make your char have a parasitic twin taht lives in his/her colon :P )
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Don't know. I would not mind giving Westian another adventure, but I have been dreaming up a new character too so I would not cry if I had to change. Depends on what kind of a consensus the group seems to be coming to. I will wait to see!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Who knows, everyone might need to make heroic sacrifices to win my game :D

You guys seriously skated around that partial eventuaity and back out at one point!
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

I'm a blackguard under the employ of Lord Chaos, sent to hunt down the party. My pet hellhound has been tracking Ameena's rat stench for three days now. :twisted:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

What, like when Soorec asked Deephold to swap himself for Helm recently? ;)
Regarding starting levels in the new game, I'm not too bothered. Naturally I've gone for something weird with my character but haven't actually started genning yet - need Raix to finish sorting out whatever it is needs sorting out regarding how my char is actually gonna work, then I'll see about actually putting her together :). I don't mind starting at a low level and slowly gaining all my funky powers over time - I can RP that as well because of the nature of my character, rather than just "Ooh, suddenly I can do this" :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Soaponarope wrote:I'm a blackguard under the employ of Lord Chaos, sent to hunt down the party. My pet hellhound has been tracking Ameena's rat stench for three days now. :twisted:
And that's when you find out that Ameena ends up succumbing to the dark side and becomes a giant hell murafu, with powers equal to Theron!

Ameena wrote:What, like when Soorec asked Deephold to swap himself for Helm recently? ;}
Pshah! No, like when Ameena was dead and about to be blackstoned. Ever wonder what would have happened if Haynuus wasn't unconscious...? You guys were <-> close to a satisfyingly tragic ending for one of the four starting characters. It would have been beautiful! :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

What, you mean one of us would've been killed instead of just knocked out again or something?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't you recall what was said about how the dark stones were supposed to work? You link two people, and the evil soul can 'float' betwwen the two, immortal and safe, linked the the world. Try to destroy either stone, and instantly the evil soul could then jump in to the other body.

So basically, you and Haynuus could have instead become joint hosts, making Dolo effectively immortal even if you killed his body. The sacrifie would ahve been one of you you two chosing who would take on Dolo to free the other... unless one of the other characters who could push themselves in to the etheral plane instead tried to fight and hold the dark priest while both stones were destroyed. That person who took on a dark priest's soul would have instead been the one to have bascially been trapped and killed. It would have been tragic, and sad, and a beautiful story. I had a lump in my throat.

Still, not gunna force cool plots of you guys. You guys make your own destiny :D Like Haynuus having just enough helath, due to various actions, that he was only unconscious, and having jarred Garax so much that the fighter basically went for healing instead of slitting Haynuus's throat!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh I see. Ooh what nasty things to do to your poor players who just want to have some fun rampaging through a dungeon killing ev...ohh no wait, murafu are kinda pacifistc, aren't they? Well, at least I can keep hoping that Helm will be brought back to life and he and Ameena can be properly reunited again and she can excitedly jump all over him and apologise for leaving him with the nasty scary soldier people and all that :D.
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

*pets the giant hell murafu and feeds her some tasty elf flesh*
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol a hell murafu...now that'd be an interesting sight...

Post by raixel »

Hey beo, Your stats using 4d6 arent THAT much better. Sssil goes from being sub-normal to an average adventurer ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Average? He's got two 14s, a 12 and a 13 before bonus for race and level, and nothing is in the negative!

That's my only niggle with D&D, good stats = good and there's no good points in having bad stats. Liek the nagative in intelligence isn't a bonus for opposing certain skill checks (harder to hoodwink in certain situations) and coerce/
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Those aren't bad stats. I'd probably stil call them "average", though, if he has nothing above, say, 15. A 14 only gives you a +2 mod, after all ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Shhhhh. You're biased for a reason I can't talk about. In general, saying 'only' a +2, etc sounds insane. Insane! The average roll is 9 - 12 rolling normally (so 10.5). The average roll for 4d6 drop one is I think 12? And one of those 14s could go to 16 for the lizard bonus.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh, okay then, lol - as mentioned I've not ever rolled up a 3.5 char before. Well, I suppose I have (eg NWN) but that was kinda different to a "proper" game (ie with an actual person as GM) and I levelled pretty fast and got insane backstab and went round ganking everything while my henchman tanked it for me :twisted:.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeha, insane backstab is the nature of the rogue mechnaics. You're level 7 and you have 3d6, right?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Nope, 4d6 :D.
And I've never actually used 'em...(hence the new char gonna be a bit less...fussy about violence)